• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how can my rear main seal leak when my trucks pointed downward on a slope?

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
i dont understand this, when i have my truck facing upwards on a slope it dosent leak out the rear main.

but when its facing downwards(the rear main higher than the front) it leaks like crazy/

im sooo frustrated with this truck i want to pin it till i throw a rod!! AAAHHHH

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe it's not the rear main. Could be pan gasket or cam plug.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
I think I know why. The pan sits inside the dust shield for the tranny and if the gasket or rear main leak it drips down into the bell housing when the truck is level or on a downhill slope the oil drips out of the dust cover but on an uphill slope it runs to the back of the housing. I could be wrong but thats what my truck does also and thats where it leaks from. Mines an auto though I don't know if that makes much of a difference.

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yeah mine was an auto but when i switched it to a 5 speed i put a bunch of gasket sealer on the back of the pan gasket near the main.. i guess i just need a new engine after 200,xxx miles. :'(

anyone have an extra 3.0 layin around with under 100,xxx miles?

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
What about the motor in your sig? Is it the one having problems?

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
i havent updated my sig in awhile i completely forgot to add in the 2002 3.0 i never got to pick up cause the guy lied and said the motor was fine.. ended up being the motor had a busted rod in the motor.. never broke threw the block so when he took it apart he had to call and tell me.

im frustrated with my truck! i wish i would have sold it

it needs a new motor pretty bad, not only is my rear main somehwat leaking there is oil all over the back of the motor and sides!! i hate my life

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Man do I know where your coming from, everyday I want to sell my truck because of stupid crap, I like it but I really really hate it also I fix one thing and something else happens I don't think I have gotten 400 maintanence free miles out of this piece of crap since I bought it. I will probably be bustin my knuckles on it until I pay it off, I don't know how people put the amount of miles on these trucks that they do, there are so many motor killing problems with these things I can't believe many of them make it past 100,000 miles without shitting the bed.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Man do I know where your coming from, everyday I want to sell my truck because of stupid crap, I like it but I really really hate it also I fix one thing and something else happens I don't think I have gotten 400 maintanence free miles out of this piece of crap since I bought it. I will probably be bustin my knuckles on it until I pay it off, I don't know how people put the amount of miles on these trucks that they do, there are so many motor killing problems with these things I can't believe many of them make it past 100,000 miles without shitting the bed.
Sell it to me. :D

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
how quickly do you need this engine , i am taking mine out in october , but it has ~115k on it , i also have a bar block with ~156k on it and a set of heads with ~13k on them

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
how quickly do you need this engine , i am taking mine out in october , but it has ~115k on it , i also have a bar block with ~156k on it and a set of heads with ~13k on them
im going to be pulling the engine in the next couple weeks, then ill be saving up some money. but ill keep you in mind once i get to tear the motor apart to see whats wrong.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals