• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How cheap could you build it?

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I will have about 2800-2900 into my truck once I buy a body lift.
Mind you it is a '93 4.0L auto, 4wd, ext cab. Good looking truck, and prett capable offroad.

Truck (wrecked) -$475
fixing/ body parts- $1300
33x12.5x15 Pro Comp Mud Terrians with very good tread- $275
New wheels- $200
Body lift- $130
manual hubs (with nuts and clips and all that stuff)- $30
Total- %=$2410

And, a couple things to make it more capable:
Locker(s) -$500
Winch- $30

Total- $3210

If I didn't care about the looks I could have just pounded the fender, and hood out, and biult a front bumper and that 1300 for the body parts and paint would have gone away.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well...this is the story of my ranger

Truck = $250
4.0 = Freebie
7.5 w/4.56's = freebie
d35 = freebie
4" susp lift modded for 5.5" = $400
3" boyd lift= freebie
4.56's for d35 =$130
welded up 7.5 = freebie
free 1/4" wall tube bumpers= freebie
38.5" gumbos= free
zoom clutch for 4.0 = $200
10klbs winch = freebie

so....all in all when my trucks done ill have it done for 980 and itll be a VERY capable truck all around.

if the 7.5 goes and i replace it with my 8.8 thats another freebie, aside from new perches

so......with the 8.8 it would be 1000 even

reno

Reaction score
3" Body lift from e-bay, bids start at usually $20 (bids increase, you decide when to stop)

2" "C" channel cut to 4" lengths, use under front coils scrap metal $0.

Swap meets\craigslist\yard sales, usually can score Tires for around $200

Weld rear end to lock it, own your Welder\have a buddy that does $0

2" lift blocks for rear $20 each = $40

Total = $240 approx.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
buy a cheap sandrail frame,locked yota axles,cheap 39.5's on wheels and dual yota cases from classifieds,running parts yota for drivetrain and steering/brakes,and the usual trail gear.probaly around 3000-4000$ for a sweet tough simple leaf sprung crawler that will go anywhere

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes people complain about the costs of building a capable trail rig.
Most trails? Make no modifications whatsoever. It's free.

It's only the significant trails that you need to "build" for. Not most of them.

Let's say that I've been on some ungraded desert trails with a stock Geo Prizm. If I can do that, an unmodified Ranger can make it.

Just carry some offroad tools with you, especially a shovel and high-lift jack with tow rope.

Well, you asked how cheap it can be with very little constraint. No one can beat free.

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've got in between $5-600 in my junk.
wheels, tires, everything.

Of course, it's a FS crew cab, sitting on 36's that need replacing, but it works.

Needs some refinement, and a little tranny work, but it works pretty good. :icon_thumby:

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic

about 2 grand including tires

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think whatever it is it should have some class, even if it's cheap. You could chop the fenders, weld the axles and put used 33s on stock rims and go about anywhere. That's been done many times.

I like a little more grace than that. I like some soft suspension travel. You can get a lot of places without it, but I like to quietly and gracefully get through it when I can--and the power to blast through when I can't. I like some recovery capability too. And I don't like junk or things that don't do anything. If I could have a truck with no moving parts and made out of a solid piece, I would take it. Anything added that doesn't need to be there for the function of the machine is ugly to me. Every part that you add should be vital and make people say "Yep, that's the right way to do that."

I don't like welded axles because it's tough on parts and rips up the ground--so I say a lunchbox locker is the first thing to add. The, a truck isn't a truck without something strong front and rear to hook things to. A homebuilt mount on the front for a winch and some clevis hooks and a $100 frame hitch on the rear. Definately need rubber next so you need to figure out how to fit them. Then I would put some 33s mud terrains (no ATs) on with a 3"-4" lift and a little fender trimming. No body lift for me. Haywood sent me a link to someone using Thunderbird coils on a Jeep Cherokee. They will work on a Ranger as well with a little work. Just about perfect to max out the flex on your home-extended factory radius arms--that's been done a lot around here. A single shock can work if you bag the front coils--it can drive like an F250 until you dump the air--then it will wade through boulders and side-slopes without upsetting your capuccino. This website can help you get the drops--which you can reinforce if you don't trust them.

Your done. My truck has evolved into something extremely simple that goes anywhere and never breaks. Mostly it was taking things back off and looking for simpler options--figuring out why things broke and making adjustments instead of spending more on bigger parts. If I had it to do again I would spend hundreds, not thousands--and do it just the way I described.

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most trails? Make no modifications whatsoever. It's free.

It's only the significant trails that you need to "build" for. Not most of them.

Let's say that I've been on some ungraded desert trails with a stock Geo Prizm. If I can do that, an unmodified Ranger can make it.

Just carry some offroad tools with you, especially a shovel and high-lift jack with tow rope.

Well, you asked how cheap it can be with very little constraint. No one can beat free.
cheater....true, but cheater

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
but that defeats the purpose of saying BUILD a rig

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
i have had my b2 for around 6 months. only OFFROAD related things i have put in it are tires and some mild lift parts (spacers and blocks). if i dont factor in all the other crap (maint crap) i would only have 650 dollars in it.

650 B2 and 31 11.5 15 TSLs on rock crawlers

just got a mini spooled 8.8 31 spline (456s) that already has the IFS diff cover along with a d35 with ARB (456s) and the majority of the fixings for installation, 1354 t-case for 200 bucks

selling the ARB for -140

4liter,trans,wiring,pcm, radiator for 200 bucks.

so as of right now my actual build only has 910 dollars in it.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger went nearly everywhere I wanted it to. It was really a point-and-click type of rig. All said and done, there was less than $2500 in it.

That included the lift components, D35/8.8, 5.13 gears, lock-right, winch, flatbed, bumper, etc. Rust got the best of it, and it was deemed unsuitable for the type of rig I wanted to build it into, so I moved onto a bigger and better platform.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Parents bought the truck for me to run parts around in for the family business while in high school 8 years ago this fall.

Grille guard cost me $20 for the pipe, the rest is scrap.
Hella 500 lights on grille guard were $30 at Wally World
Bodylift was about $150
Front bumper bracket:
$10 for angle iron
$30 for 15k D rings
Rest was scrap, so $40 total
$260 for 75% set of 235/75-15 Dunlop Mud Rovers
$100 Duraspark ignition

That made it a pretty good rig for what I do, misc year-round odd jobs around the farm and the occasional mud road.

I have to put in a 31 spline 8.8 L/S and Explorer springs I got for $100.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Ranger went nearly everywhere I wanted it to. It was really a point-and-click type of rig. All said and done, there was less than $2500 in it.

That included the lift components, D35/8.8, 5.13 gears, lock-right, winch, flatbed, bumper, etc. Rust got the best of it, and it was deemed unsuitable for the type of rig I wanted to build it into, so I moved onto a bigger and better platform.
chevy on this site just makes my skin crawl

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals