• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How common is this Ranger?

Muddytruckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I have the chance to pick up another Ranger & I don't think I've ever heard of one optioned like this ever before. Is this even possible?

2000 XLT 2wd 4.0 5 speed manual flare side

The guy has a 3" body lift & some ugly bolt on stinger but otherwise it's stock looking. I've heard of 3.0s being in this configuration but never even knew you could order a 4.0 in a single cab 2wd, let alone with a manual trans. Haven't checked the rear diff code to see the gearing but I think I'm gonna trade my Bronco for it. He's been asking about it for a while now & that Atlantic Blue really pops. Not a fan of lifting 2wds but I think with an 01 front end & some 17s on 265/70s would make it a clean looking truck. I'll run the codes to verify when I get a chance but this is interesting.

So back to my question... is this possible in stock form & if so how common is it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2000 was the last year of the 4.0l OHV engine, '01 got the 4.0l SOHC

Yes, the 4.0l in a regular cab wasn't common, most buyers of regular cab models wanted best MPG so most would come with 2.3l 4cyl.
4.0l was available to order for any model, regular cab, super-cab, 4x2, 4x4 and with auto or manual

So this was probably a special order by original owner

The 4.0l, 4x4, regular cab, short bed is very rare

Last edited:

Muddytruckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the quick reply. I never knew the 4.0 was available in any configuration in those years. Glad it has the OHV as most SOHC engines I seem to run across have a bad timing chain. I've had a few Rangers in the past & been wanting another 4wd but this 2wd kind of landed in my lap. Would be cool to see a breakdown of production numbers but that's just not possible with all of the available options.

Are there any others like this on the forums? Thinking the resale value would be better on this than your typical 2.3/3.0 2wd, at least I'd hope so. Definitely a talking point if nothing else. Might even be peppy if it really only weighs around 3000 lbs.

Was looking around & just found this page:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2000/BBRANGER.PDF
A LOT of info on it as far as payload, available configurations, etc.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure about higher resale, issue being Regular cab trucks were all about the MPG which is why the 4.0l wasn't "standard", so you cut a major part of the used truck buyers out with the 4.0l

But as always, if someone is looking for a specific power train and model they may pay more for it.

I would, and have, only bought a super-cabs because I need the room.

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've seen quite a few 2wd regular cab 4.0's, more auto than stick, but I have yet to come across another optioned just like the one I now drive daily. 1994 XLT reg cab/short bed 4.0, 4x4, 5-speed, 8.8 with 3.27, white exterior, red interior. Im not saying they don't exist, but I'm quite positive I've got a special order truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've seen quite a few 2wd regular cab 4.0's, more auto than stick, but I have yet to come across another optioned just like the one I now drive daily. 1994 XLT reg cab/short bed 4.0, 4x4, 5-speed, 8.8 with 3.27, white exterior, red interior. Im not saying they don't exist, but I'm quite positive I've got a special order truck.
Ranger 4.0l, 4x4, regular cab, short box is a rare bird that's for sure.

Muddytruckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lone-Ranger, now THAT is a truck I'd like to have! I see them optioned like that frequently in my area but never in 2wd so it made me curious. Must be the area difference or something because you can find 2-3 single cab 4.0 4wds at any given time on CL around here & it's about a 50/50 mix of auto or manual.

There's one on CL right now I'd like to get my hands on but cash is almost as limited as parking space at my house, lol.
http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/5081678765.html

Here's a couple more:
http://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/5025442558.html
http://loz.craigslist.org/cto/5063903029.html
http://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/5059932799.html

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
4.0 regular cabs are pretty rare. Until recently my neighbor had a '98 4.0 Flareside RC 4x4 Off Road that he got new. At the time the magazines said that a 4.0 Ranger RC 4x2 had a better power-to-weight ratio than a Chevy 454SS. After '01 when they went to the 4.0 SOHC you could only get a 4.0 in a SuperCab.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals