• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How GM "Lied" About The Electric Car

IndianScout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
Let's see what they've found out. Popular Mechanics saw just 37.5 MPG in city driving. Car and Driver apparently didn't choose to use their wheel time for any city driving — but found with all-electric driving
wow, to say the least...

story..

:shok:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Good stuff right there.

Last edited:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Wow. That's pretty shitty gas mileage for having that much trickery in it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This meant that the gasoline engine was nothing more than a "range extender" designed to charge the batteries which would allow the electric drivetrain to continue to move the car — and allow GM to claim that the Volt was something different
There is nothing new about that, submarines were doing that before WWII. :dunno:

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
I see nothing wrong here....that banner behind the car clearly states 23 happy faced mpgs....

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This meant that the gasoline engine was nothing more than a "range extender" designed to charge the batteries which would allow the electric drivetrain to continue to move the car — and allow GM to claim that the Volt was something different
I didn't read GM's claims, but I'm not sure I see the problem with that.

That is basically what the electric Wrangler was. The only difference is that Chrysler told us that up front.

EDIT: Unless of course, they said that was the way it's set up and then it turns out it isn't.

Last edited:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
fellas..... in 1967 a friend's dad modified the 4b carb on his Cadillac & was getting 25 mpg(10mpg's better than from the factory).....he started bragging about the mileage his Caddy got.........some guy in a suit showed up at his house....offered his dad $200 for the modified carb(which was big money back then)....his dad unbolted the carb...signed some papers & gave it to the Suit.....30 years later cars got 25 mpg using "tons of technology"........

do da math....

won't be any different with eeeeeeeelectric cars......they'lll milk the process as long as they can....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
General Misinformation.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I didn't read GM's claims, but I'm not sure I see the problem with that.

That is basically what the electric Wrangler was. The only difference is that Chrysler told us that up front.

EDIT: Unless of course, they said that was the way it's set up and then it turns out it isn't.
Let me clear this up - for you and that other guy. The whole "BIG DEAL" about the Volt is that the engine was NOT supposed to drive the car in any way, shape or form. It was supposed to be like an on-board generator running at peak efficiency. According to the link the the original post, which is the latest news about the car, GM has been lying the entire time and the engine kicks in to physically power the wheels at 70+ mph. The engine also will physically drive the wheels when the battery charge gets low. This means that the car is pretty much just a fancier prius-style hybrid.

What I want to know, is why the hell were they lying to us? Was it to ensure they got a bailout? Did they think we would not notice?

I've been saying for YEARS that the way to make a hybrid is simple, have a very small diesel designed to run at a specific rpm for peak efficiency, and it runs pretty much the entire time the car is on, and is nothing more than a generator that can throttle down to idle when the batteries are up and you are sitting in traffic. The wheels would be completely powered by an electric motor. We have ALL the technology to do this, and it bypasses the whole battery problem we are currently facing. Yeah, it's still reliant on fossil fuels, but it's a hell of a jump forward. The Volt was supposed to be that car, just running on gasoline. Apparently it isn't. GM flat out lied, AGAIN.

I'm hoping the Jalopnik article is fake though, and there is hints that it is. If it is fake, then I take this post back.

Last edited:

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
Se my above 2 articles. It's not connected it just bypasses charging the battery and directly feeds the electric motors in "sustain" mode above 70. It makes the car more efficient because at that speed the electric motors would be working so hard they would be discharging the battery at such a rate the engine would be running anyways. This way just cuts out the middle man and goes for the most efficiency they could get.

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Diesel-Electric vehicle, good concept, and it works great for trains. GM may have mis-informed the press and public. BUT, it is still an electric vehicle first before hybrid mode. If GM keeps it promise of 40-miles without using a single drop of fuel in city traffic, that would still be consider an EV. My question as a mechanically engineer, and probably everyone elses too, does the Internel Combustion engine "phyicisally" power the wheels or turns mechanical energy into electrically energy (like a generator) for the traction motor to use?

And just to make it simple, go buy a Ford Fusion Hybrid. At least Ford isn't government controled.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
does the Internel Combustion engine "phyicisally" power the wheels or turns mechanical energy into electrically energy (like a generator) for the traction motor to use?
No it's not, yes it does. Read a couple articles I posted. There is no physical connection.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
G.enerally M.uch of technology is kept from the public for 40 years.....the reason being.........For Overly Rich D**** to maintain their wealth in the current scheme of things until they die....

Mo(re)par(ticularly).....the automotive manufacturers have to stay in kahoots with the government concerning technological advances/in return for bail-outs when needed....

of course that is just a drug-induced theory of mine--It'll probobbabbly never

happen in reel life.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals