• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How much work is involved?

rnuover

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2001 ranger single cab, 4cyl, 5spd. If i wanted to put an 8.8 out of an explorer in the rear would i have to change the shock mounts as well as the spring perches.

Thanks, Chris

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Since the axle has no shock mounts on it to begin with, you would have to add those, yes.

This has been covered a lot already, a search should bring up a lot of useful info. :icon_thumby:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and i dont think a 4cyl really requires an 8.8. or did your current one blow up?

junkb2000

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
and i dont think a 4cyl really requires an 8.8. or did your current one blow up?
Maybe he just wants a wider axle or maybe he just has one laying around, or maybe it is easier to find an 8.8 with a lsd in it why can't people just help others out instead of saying hit the search button or that is over kill. next thing that is gonna be said is why take up space on the site with subjects that have been discussed a million times how bout why take up space on the site with threads that say use the search button or that is to big. :icon_cheers:

If you want to put the 8.8 from an explorer in your truck you will need to flip the spring perches, and since the shock mounts on an explorer are actually on the ubolt plate yes you will have to weld on new shock mounts but no need to buy shock mounts just cut the mounts off the ubolt plate and use them they are actually pretty sturdy. as far as perches go some say if you are carefull you can get the old ones off, but I have tried on 2 different axles and luckily I have already had new perches everytime cause I wasn't lucky enough to get my stock ones off I ended up buying these they give a little lift over the stock ones and they are made out of 1/4 plate and laser cut they are long to prevent axle wrap but with not knowing the application you intend on using this axle for I doubt you will have any wrap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dana-60-Ford-8-8-Ford-9-Spring-Perch_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33728QQihZ007QQitemZ170221179192QQtcZphoto

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals