• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to do i get 4 ohm?

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok so i read a little on subs setups but i dont get how do i get 4ohm from my amp, and is this not what i want?i have kicker 300peak, 150rms 4ohm subs, 2 of em, hooked to an alpine m500. both subs positives are wired to the amp positives, and the negatives are wired to the negatives. splain please.
amp: alpines site
subs:random site with info

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2 single 4 ohm subs cant be wired to present a 4 ohm load, you would have to run only 1 or get different subs.

this shows the ways you could hook up 2 4 ohm single voice coil subs, you can have either 2 or 8 ohms.
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=41

you would be fine running it at 2 ohms just leave loudness and bass boost off and listen for clipping or your subs bottoming out when you set your gains.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Why would you want a 4 ohm load? The amp you have is 2 ohm stable, so leaving the subs wired the way they are (in parallel, giving you a 2 ohm load) lets your amp put out 500W rms instead of 300w rms at 4 ohms.

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why would you want a 4 ohm load? The amp you have is 2 ohm stable, so leaving the subs wired the way they are (in parallel, giving you a 2 ohm load) lets your amp put out 500W rms instead of 300w rms at 4 ohms.
his subs are only rated for 150 rms each but ~250rms shouldnt kill them if hes careful and knows how to set up an amp.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2 single 4 ohm subs cant be wired to present a 4 ohm load, you would have to run only 1 or get different subs.

this shows the ways you could hook up 2 4 ohm single voice coil subs, you can have either 2 or 8 ohms.
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=41

you would be fine running it at 2 ohms just leave loudness and bass boost off and listen for clipping or your subs bottoming out when you set your gains.
i see... so run em at 2 ohm and dont crank the gain. fair enough, but i want em dam loud. not always but i wanna be able the shake the show ya know? read on...
for the reason that my subs cant handle the load @2ohm. cause like mentioned below, they are 150rms@4ohm and the amp is 500rms at 2 ohm. so if i cant achieve 4 ohm, how do i keep em alive?
his subs are only rated for 150 rms each but ~250rms shouldnt kill them if hes careful and knows how to set up an amp.
i dont crank em often. just to show off to my friends. (who does drive around subs cranked, like cmon) i just like the added bass. however, i've been using/setting up subs forever, but i actually dont know much about setting amps. my bass boost and gain are over 1/2 way up, but on the head unit they are turned down quite a bit.i noticed when the are cranked they sound like crap, probably due to the fact that they are "bottoming out" and i am running too many watts. i would have bought a more appropriatly sized amp ut i payed 140 cad so it was cheap. and i got the subs for 100 pair. and 20bux for wiring, and its 4 gauge, and the box cost me 30 to build to fit my ex-cab, and viala, louds music.
so i have 3 adjustments on my amp. bass boost, a filter of some kind, and gain. without gain i have to crank the bass on my head unit to get any movement out of the subs. soooo... i turned em up:icon_hornsup:

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
turn bass boost off since its centered at at certian frequency, set your filter to lpf (low pass filter) and set it around 70-90hz, and just just listen to the sub when you set your gain. if it sounds like the sub is hitting against a piece of paper (best way i can describe what clipping sounds like) stop and back down a bit.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
turn bass boost off since its centered at at certian frequency, set your filter to lpf (low pass filter) and set it around 70-90hz, and just just listen to the sub when you set your gain. if it sounds like the sub is hitting against a piece of paper (best way i can describe what clipping sounds like) stop and back down a bit.
do i set the gain with vlolume cranked(bass on head unit all the way up)?

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
do i set the gain with vlolume cranked(bass on head unit all the way up)?
from what i've heard, you should put your headunit at regular listening volume (so that your speakers aren't distorting) with the bass mid and treb all at +/- zero.

wait for someone to back this up before you do it.

Ranger4657

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.ohh nooo
Transmission
Automatic
just dont crank your system up through the gains on the amp and settings on the HU is the simplist way... id sell your subs and get DVC's so you can wire to what you want....

use crutchfeild.com to help with wiring, they have lots of good tips on hitting the right impedence throu wiring.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just dont crank your system up through the gains on the amp and settings on the HU is the simplist way... id sell your subs and get DVC's so you can wire to what you want....

use crutchfeild.com to help with wiring, they have lots of good tips on hitting the right impedence throu wiring.
i noticed. but selling kicker comps? i pai 100 for the pair, they arent worth shit. and i just bought em a week ago

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
this is how i usually setup systems from just listening. turn your subs off completly, set your headunit to play your door speakers as loud as you can with out distorting them meaning turn the bass and treble down turn up the volume and the add bass and treble until the start to distort then back them down. i usually do the treble first. then turn your subs back on at the same volume level and turn your gain until you start to distort the subs and then back it down. this is about the easiest way to do it with out causing damage to either subs or componets. then remeber not to turn head unit past where you have everything set at.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is how i usually setup systems from just listening. turn your subs off completly, set your headunit to play your door speakers as loud as you can with out distorting them meaning turn the bass and treble down turn up the volume and the add bass and treble until the start to distort then back them down. i usually do the treble first. then turn your subs back on at the same volume level and turn your gain until you start to distort the subs and then back it down. this is about the easiest way to do it with out causing damage to either subs or componets. then remeber not to turn head unit past where you have everything set at.
key word here remember, which im not so good at. BUT thanks for describing that ill do it later today

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals