• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to find my speaker wires again (lol)

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you do remove the negative terminal first. yeah the battery still has juice but it cant supply voltage to anything.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, it can it can supply voltage to you, subs amps cars can all be replaced. If you get zapped end of story. And that's why I do it, but to each his own and this is a pita on an iPhone in traffic

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
aggghhh.... so i should remove:
1)just the negative
2)negative and positive

and then do i clamp them on something? the frame or a piece of unpainted metal... sorry new to this stuff

hoping for a fast answer, want to get started on thsi stuff! haha.

step 5 if you have to fold it in half you have the wrong size terminal, if you can fold it in half and still stick the wire in there the wire/terminal is the wrong size
okay, i am going to use the red terminal connections.... says for 22-16 gauge, also have blue for 16-14, and yellow for 12-10

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, it can it can supply voltage to you, subs amps cars can all be replaced. If you get zapped end of story. And that's why I do it, but to each his own and this is a pita on an iPhone in traffic
i dont know about 'end of story'. i dont think 12 volts is enough to do any major damage. ive burned myself a few times, but thats about it.

but when you remove the negative your creating a open circuit. unless your messing with a power wire straight from the battery, no damage can be done.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just remove the negative terminal. dont let it touch the negative battery terminal. otherwise good luck with your install.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i dont know about 'end of story'. i dont think 12 volts is enough to do any major damage. ive burned myself a few times, but thats about it.

but when you remove the negative your creating a open circuit. unless your messing with a power wire straight from the battery, no damage can be done.
just remove the negative terminal. dont let it touch the negative battery terminal. otherwise good luck with your install.
and clip it on an unpainted piece of metal?

can i clip in on the little lip that the hood kinda sits on?

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no need to clip it on anything. i know when i take mine off, i slide it on the side of the battery.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
no need to clip it on anything. i know when i take mine off, i slide it on the side of the battery.
okay thanks... gonna go get started

nervous, but i think i understand everything pretty well, and doesn't seem like a really challenging ordeal... so we will see

going to hook them up to see how they sound before i actually put all my dash pieces back together.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
got them hooked up, been listening to a few songs out there..

it was a pretty easy process...

mental notes:
1) don't twist the two wires together thinking there is only one connection :)icon_rofl: idk wtf i was thinking)
2) make sure when you turn on your music, that the speaker is in a secure location so it doesn't fall lol.

i put tape around a terminal that wasn't very sturdy... is that okay?

i mean i taped the crimp on each of the 4 wires, but with the connection between the crimp piece and the speaker terminal i put some tape over the top of it to secure it up a bit.

they work fine, so i figure this won't be a big deal, especially since it's electrical tape.

if i wanted to spray paint my dash up before i put everything back together... do i need to strip/prime/sand it first? i am talking about the part where the speakers go, so the very front metal part of the dash... it's got streaking, possibly from sun/armorall combination, and i wanted to do something else besides JUST speakers since i took all this time getting it apart lol.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i dont understand what you taped. if you wrapped some tape around where you crimped the female quick disconnect and the speaker wire, then i guess thats fine. there shouldnt have been any exposed wire once you crimped it though. otherwise you stripped too much of hte jacket off. or do you mean that the quick disconnect didnt have a snug fit over the speaker terminal? if you used the correct size but its loose, use some pliers to close the quick disconnect a little so it fits tighter.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i dont understand what you taped. if you wrapped some tape around where you crimped the female quick disconnect and the speaker wire, then i guess thats fine. there shouldnt have been any exposed wire once you crimped it though. otherwise you stripped too much of hte jacket off. or do you mean that the quick disconnect didnt have a snug fit over the speaker terminal? if you used the correct size but its loose, use some pliers to close the quick disconnect a little so it fits tighter.
where the metal part of the terminal part that i bought connects to the termal on the actual speaker was a bit insecure...

i will plier it to squeeze around the connector on the speaker better.. didn't know if i could do that or not.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
where the metal part of the terminal part that i bought connects to the termal on the actual speaker was a bit insecure...

i will plier it to squeeze around the connector on the speaker better.. didn't know if i could do that or not.
I see what you mean from the pics in your photo bucket. The wire crimp is too big for the speaker terminal since one is larger than the other. I am suprised your new speaker didn't come with the approperiate wire already with the fittings pre-crimped for the speaker terminal. The only way I can think of to fix it well is to get a smaller crimp for the wire that fits the terminal.

I imagine that smashing it a little and use of tape may suffice as a band-aid for the time being, but over time I would suspect that it may cause an issue later on due to vibrations and such. Smashing is also risking that the metal gives and then it won't want to stay on at all. Your call on that one, I am sure someone else may have some other ideas. Since you got it out at this point; say 3 years down the road it will be a piece of cake to take it apart again if it does become problematic (like intermittently working).

I am also kind of curious on how you went about getting them back into the dash since the speakers appear to be 4 mount style(?).

Pete

Edit:

And I just noticed that speakers have some depth to them. Should be alright, just watch that a little - might hit the plastic heater tube on the driver's side.

Last edited:

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I see what you mean from the pics in your photo bucket. The wire crimp is too big for the speaker terminal since one is larger than the other. I am suprised your new speaker didn't come with the approperiate wire already with the fittings pre-crimped for the speaker terminal. The only way I can think of to fix it well is to get a smaller crimp for the wire that fits the terminal.

I imagine that smashing it a little and use of tape may suffice as a band-aid for the time being, but over time I would suspect that it may cause an issue later on due to vibrations and such. Smashing is also risking that the metal gives and then it won't want to stay on at all. Your call on that one, I am sure someone else may have some other ideas. Since you got it out at this point; say 3 years down the road it will be a piece of cake to take it apart again if it does become problematic (like intermittently working).

I am also kind of curious on how you went about getting them back into the dash since the speakers appear to be 4 mount style(?).

Pete

Edit:

And I just noticed that speakers have some depth to them. Should be alright, just watch that a little - might hit the plastic heater tube on the driver's side.
i couldn't find any smaller terminal endings at lowe's... but yes, now that i know how to get everything apart it shouldn't be such a big deal to replace them down the road.

so far, i'm not entirely amazed with them.. it honestly seems like my last ones(stock) were louder, but it may be because they are just sitting in random spots right now before i get my dash put back together, you know cuz they aren't shooting the same way and stuff...

maybe it's because they don't have a tweeter.. anyway, i'm thinking i will replace my rears soon, or just wait maybe a bit longer and get an amp and sub(s) more towards the beginning of summer...

maybe i should take out the rear speakers for space in the back for amp/sub(s), and run those speaker wires to the door and put in some components or just spend some good money on coax speakers. either way i obviously will have to cut a hole in the door panel, unless i put them in the ??"vents"?? in the bottom corners of my doors... i've seen a picture that somebody put speakers in there.

anyway, i am going to paint the metal part of my dash this weekend and hopefully get everything put back together.... if the drivers side speaker doesn't fit, idk what i'm going to do. i didn't expect them to be that deep.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
never thought about the depth, but i checked, without the dash just eyeballing it kinda, and i don't think the drivers side will fit. didn't check the passengers side though.

wtf am i gonna do... i know this is prob my fault, i just figured that depth wouldn't be a big deal.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
never thought about the depth, but i checked, without the dash just eyeballing it kinda, and i don't think the drivers side will fit. didn't check the passengers side though.

wtf am i gonna do... i know this is prob my fault, i just figured that depth wouldn't be a big deal.

welcome to the world of custom fabrication lol, what are they gonna hit on?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals