• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to remove hood piece to access wiper arms

Fords4Us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
This seems like such a simple thing, but I cannot find the answer either in Chilton's or in the Tech Library. I have an 83 Ranger whose wiper arms keep sliding off the wiper motor's eccentric post. There's a stupid little clip, which I have, which keeps those wiper arms mounted on that post. I have successfully removed both the driver/passenger side wipers from their posts, but I need to remove the narrow metal grille piece that lays between the hood, and the windshield. I had hoped that removing the plastic nuts from the wiper posts would be sufficient and it would just lift off. Nope. there's something else keeping that grille solidly attached, and I sure can't find it. How does that stupid thing come off? The maddening part is that I can almost reach the clip without removing the grille. But "almost" isn't good enough. Suggestions? I have until Sunday to get this fixed, because that's when the rains return. :( And I sure as heck don't want to take this to the shop and tell them that I need them to pull that stupid grill for me. Thanks all!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Unfortunately the "grill" portion is welded in place. All I can suggest is to break your arm so there is another joint to bend....jk. Hopefully someone with more experience can help. Other than that all I can suggest is you will have to get creative with the tools you have on hand.
good luck,

Richard

Fords4Us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure it's welded in place? The shop has already replaced this little clip for me once. It's prone to sliding out of its alignment which is why I have to do it again. They either would have needed to remove the grille, or take off the dashboard and go through from that direction. The eccentric for the wiper blades is essentially right in front of the instrument cluster. My main contact at the shop never said anything about having to remove the dashboard to reach that eccentric. Maybe on other year body styles the grille was welded, but on the '83 it was fastened in some other way? Maybe I'll swing by the shop and ask them how they did it last time. They're fairly supportive of my working on my own truck, thankfully. But now I wonder how they got in there.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
On my 88 there is an access plate under the hood. Will at least help a little.
It's a simple metal plate with 4 screws/bolts (I don't remember) in it. It sits about midway I think.

As for getting creative, I used some tools made from metal coat hangers to reconnect one of the rods one time.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, the access panel is in the middle of the fire wall...and it is a tight fit requiring a bit of contortionist skills but it is doable...helps to have custom made tools though...last time I took mine off the fasteners were actually big screws...and there is a foam backing in there to help seal it IIRC...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals