• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to: Replace Upper Control Arm (2000 2.5l w/coil springs)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
The following pertains to my 2000 2.5L w/coil springs.
I couldn't take the groaning or creaking during turning anymore so I finally decided to take a look at my front suspension and diagnose the problem.
All of the boots on all of my ball joints were destroyed. The boots can be replaced if the joints are in decent shape. But this was not the case.

Both of my upper ball joints were in bad shape (metal shavings inside what was left of the boot) and both of my lower ball joints were in extremely bad shape (ball visibly worn and scored).

So I ordered up a set of Moog Upper Control Arms from Advance Auto Parts (thanks again Amy for the discount!) and got to work.

What you will need:
  • PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench! Maybe both. Maybe multiple cans (if you're from New England or near the beach)

• A (very small) Pitman Arm puller. Advance Auto Parts rents them for free (deposit required)

• A torque wrench ($20 from Harbor Freight and tools)

• I also recommend a 3ft lug wrench, metric impact socket set, and a solid adjustable wrench or two for those places where sockets just won't go.

Note: before even attempting to remove any bolts or nuts I highly recommend drenching them in PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench. It makes life easy.

Removing the Upper Control Arm
  1. Loosen the lugs, jack up the truck, secure it on jack stands, and remove the wheel.
  2. Place a jack under end of the LCA. Jack it up slightly; just enough to support the weight of the suspension. Make sure it is not in the way because it will remain there for the entire removal process. (I like to use the emergency jack b/c it's small and not invasive.)

3. Remove the pinch bolt nut from the spindle (steering knuckle)

4. Use the puller to separate the UCA from the spindle. This can be a PITA! Sometimes it takes a little bit more than just the puller... like a 3ft crowbar.
    But it will definitely take a lot of patience and a lot of PB blaster.

5. Remove the pivot bolts that attach the UCA to the frame while making a note of their position so you are sure you put them back the same way.

Installing the Upper Control Arm
Installation is basically the reverse of the removal process.
*I know this should go without saying but make sure you use the right control arm on the right side and the left on the left...

1. When inserting the ball joint into the knuckle you can hammer it down with a rubber maillot. If you use a hammer be sure to cover the ball joint or UCA with something so the hammer does not strike it directly.

2. Once everything is assembled, put the wheel back on and lower the vehicle. Then use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts down to the proper spec.

That's it! Looks easy right? ;)

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
good write up man!

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
ohh, nice, i guess it has to be completely centered so it will enter with ease, just like a bearing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
pretty much.
I should also note that this is (obviously) the stock eccentric bolt and plate so no camber adjustments can be made. But, when I get new tires I'll also be getting a camber kit so I can have it properly aligned. When I do, I'll post that up here too (if I don't forget).

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
sooooooooooo... I just realized that when I put my UCA's on I put the front washer on incorrectly.
HOWEVER, it gave me a slight toe out; probably less than half a degree.
I have since corrected the problem and I REALLY miss the way it felt.

It was, in a word: AMAZING.
My turn-in was fantastic.
I could hold a turn like a miata (accelerating the whole way).
My cornering was solid, stable, and comfortable.

Now... it turns like a Ranger should. :(
owell.

Next up is a NAPA adjustable camber set. I want my toe out back when I hit those mountain roads :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Um, that shouldn't have messed with your toe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals