• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To: Train horn install

korey89

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well after seeing some other peoples installations of train horns on their truck I wasn't really too impressed with how they were in plain sight and drew a lot of attention. I looked around online and found these which I knew could easily be kept out of sight unlike the big triple chime chrome ones (no offense to anyone with those). With them installed the way this tutorial shows you can only see them if you get on your hands and knees and look under the truck. The install is very easy and does not take very much knowledge or mechanical skills to complete. Here is how I did it,

My first step was going to www.hornblasters.com and ordering one
of their 4 piece black horn kits. I didn't want a huge tank that took up a lot of room nor did I need the long honking times of one so I went with the cheaper 2 gallon combo. I spoke with the very friendly and knowledgeable owner named Matt on the phone and ordered up my kit. The shipping was second to none and it arrived early the next day.

Here is everything that came with the kit

Now, lets get to installing it. I don't have a spare tire so where the old tire used to be is the perfect spot to mount it in my opinion. Heres where its gonna go

Obviously they aren't going to mount nicely to that since it's not flat. So I went out to Lowes and bought myself a sheet of 24"x24" 16ga steel.

Now that Ive got a place to attach the horns I need to attach the sheet of steel. I got it all centered (no cutting required) and then held the piece up with some locking pliers and then used a center punch to mark the spots where I am going to drill.

After I drilled those four holes I marked and drilled the holes to mount the horns themselves. Here is a picture of the holes all drilled and one horn being test fit. Make sure you measure and test fit the horns with supplied the 90* fittings on the end so that you will be able to bolt the sheet down without any clearance issues.

Now I mounted the horns to the sheet, there are bolts built into the horns so it is very easy. Make sure to cut the access of the bolts off of the small bolts that are at the front of the horns, otherwise they will hit the spare tire mount and you wont be able to bolt the sheet down fully. I mounted the horns facing backwards so that I don't risk water or other contaminates like mud getting in the horns and causing problems.

Now that the horns are bolted to the sheet you need to cut 4 pieces of the 5/16" tubing to equal lengths so that each horn gets air at the same time. Before you cut the tubing, decide where you are going to put with 4 way splitter. I put the 90* fittings on too but did not tighten them yet.

Now take off all the fittings and apply Teflon tape or your choice of thread sealant (I used white silicone). Connect all the airlines too, and remember not to over tighten anything because they are all brass. I drilled two small holes in the steel sheet so that I could mount my splitter with a zip-tie. Be sure not to kink any airlines or have any with extreme angle bends.

Now plan out where you want the airline to go and then route it away from the horns towards the front of the truck to get it out of the way for now. Now have someone hold the sheet with the horns bolted to it and use bolts with nylon lock nuts to hold the sheet up. Here is the sheet bolted to the truck. (note the leader line from the compressor to tank is not installed in the pictures)

Now with that out of the way you need to determine where you are going to mount your valve, tank, and compressor. I did not want to mount any of those under the truck so I opted to buy a cheap box for now until I can afford an aluminum one. I then marked and drilled my holes for the tank and valve. Now with the included hardware I bolted the tank to the box, I found a small pair of scews and lock nuts and mounted the valve too. To run the wires and line out of the box I drilled a 1" hole in the side of the box. You can see I connect the tank to the valve with the 1/4" line also.

Now I placed the box in the bed where I wanted it. During the time of the picture it was being held in place with a tie down, but it is screwed to the bed now.

Here is the box in the bed during a quick sun shower break.

Now to connect the wires and airline to everything else I drilled a hole in the bed just under the factory left tie down hook and ran my air line and wires through it. Don't forgot to use a wire loom on the wires and line so you don't risk chaffing anything on it and causing a short or air leak. Now is a good time to route the airline to the valve and connect it too. Be sure to run all wires and airline inside the frame rail and use zip-ties to keep it all from moving. Cover everything from the box to the hole in the bed with 1" wire loom when you are done.

I used a self tapping screw to secure the ground wires to the underside of the cab.

Here is where I got the main power for the compressor. The included wire has an inline fuse built in already but if you are using your own wire DON'T FORGET TO USE ONE AND MOUNT IT AS CLOSE TO THE POWER POINT AS POSSIBLE.

I could not locate the horn trigger wire under the dash so I used a wire tap on the positive wire at the horns. You can leave the stock horns connected or unplugged as I did, it is up to you. This wire needs to be routed inside the cab to the toggle switch.

Here is where I placed the switches for the horn and compressor. I do not recommend putting them in the same spot as I did if you are using the same style switches because it requires a lot of work to get them to fit. The right switch toggles between stock horns+train horns and stock horns alone if you leave the stock horns connected. The left switch is the power to the compressor if the pressure switch kicks the compressor on.

Here is how everything gets wired. Sorry, I am not the best with MS Paint but it gets the job done. The compressor will only kick on when the tank is below 110psi and the accessory line has power and with the toggle switch engaged. The horns will only work with the toggle switch engaged and when you press the factory horn button. Be sure to keep the switch in the off position when not using the horn, pressing the lock button twice or the panic button will make the train horns honk if the switch is engaged.

Now you are DONE, here is a video your end result
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzuTxgKTSZQ

I am in no way affiliated with www.Hornblasters.com, just a happy customer.

Last edited:

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Good write up and the install looks really clean. and now I miss my old edge even more.

mkyhmltn

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Just a suggestion. Where your wires go through the hole in the bed I would also use a rubber grommet in the hole to keep the wire loom from chaffing.

korey89

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good write up and the install looks really clean. and now I miss my old edge even more.
Thanks

Just a suggestion. Where your wires go through the hole in the bed I would also use a rubber grommet in the hole to keep the wire loom from chaffing.
Thanks for the tip

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How much was your "cheap box"? I only paid $115 for my aluminum diamond-plate Kobalt box from Lowes.
Nice write-up though

korey89

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How much was your "cheap box"? I only paid $115 for my aluminum diamond-plate Kobalt box from Lowes.
Nice write-up though
The only boxes I could find around here that were aluminum were $200+, even the Kobalt one from Lowes. I don't want one that goes over the bed sides anyway since I have the Edge bedrails. My box was a little less than $50.

That's why mine are out of plain sight & mounted under the hood. I didn't want them to be seen, only heard. Here are the horns I'm using

Thats a cool idea, nice install.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I'd like to have some train horns, but WOW what an expensive horn.

Thumper113

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to have some train horns, but WOW what an expensive horn.
The other good part is, you'll have on board air with a "Viair" compressor. If you already have a compressor, the cost goes down some if you call 'em & let 'em know all you need is the horns, hose kit, switches, etc.

On the tank, I installed a coupler & bought one of THESE to reach around the truck for airing back up. I had one of the yellow plastic hoses but it would kink up, this Kobalt hose is very pliable.

Rolled Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
would that lil 2 gal compressor be enough to air up? would being inside a tool box hinder the compressor in any way as long as you dont throw stuff on top of it?

korey89

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
would that lil 2 gal compressor be enough to air up? would being inside a tool box hinder the compressor in any way as long as you dont throw stuff on top of it?
I'm not sure if you how much air you could add with only a two gallon, the worst that would happen is you'd have to wait for it to refill a couple times (only like 2 mins). I don't run the compressor very often so I am not too concerned about it getting hot, but you could always drill a few holes in the box or open the box when your running the compressor. I temped the side of the compressor with a Raytek and it was 150* in one area but everywhere else was around 100* (keep in mind that its in a black plastic box in the Florida sun so I'm sure that helped lol).

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a question about those air horns. Are they legal? They don't give a specific decibal limit in Iowa but they do say...

Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than two hundred feet, but no horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle. The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with the horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.
No offense, but if somebody comes up behind me and gives that thing a blast, I'm gonna put my rear bumper to use.

I guess if you're using them off road or at shows or something....

Last edited:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd get one just for the hell of it.

Next time someone complains that my musics too loud in the school parking lot...

BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals