• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I am interested in a super chip for my 4.0 liter 2011 Ford Ranger

Kevin J. Cutcher

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4X4
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking to buy a performance chip for my 2011 Ford ranger 4X4 4.0 liter engine. I am also getting a K&N air filter and FlowMaster exhaust

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Your best approach is to use a tuner that has performance program(s) on it or have it programed. I understand chips can be problematic. The contacts can oxidize, creating a bad contact. A tuner does not have to be plugged in all the time. You just plug it in and have it reflash the computer with the new tune then unplug.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am looking to buy a performance chip for my 2011 Ford ranger 4X4 4.0 liter engine. I am also getting a K&N air filter and FlowMaster exhaust
That's cool, so what is the question?

I'm not going to say either way on chip vs tuner. Tuners work as @gw33gp said. There have been a lot of chips used over the years with no issues. I've used both. Tuner on my 99 when it was 4.0 and chip on my 2000 7.3L. The chip has only been installed for a few years so can't speak to long term on mine.

Haven't had a problem with either except for the tuner no being supported by the manufacturer 15 years later. Fortunately I think I Still ahve the old versions of the software that go with it squirreled away on a drive somewhere, but I haven;t tried to see if they will sork on a modern OS or if I'd need to find a workaround (virtual machine or revive an old PC). Would love to be able to use the same tuner with new tunes for the 5.0L swap, but I haven't tried to see if anyone can still work with it.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You would get the same performance gain by just sending me the money and letting me gamble it away. Seriously. Off the shelf tunes have a bad reputation for a reason. Very few of them do anything useful.

Kevin J. Cutcher

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4X4
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 1991 Camaro 3.1 liter and used a performance chip with good results. No problems and definitely increased HP. I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on a tuner if I can get a performance chip for much cheaper and still get good results. I came to this site to buy a performance chip not discuss what the best way to increase HP. I'm going to buy a performance chip if available. I just have to locate one. All have a good night and thanks for everyone's comments,

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You would get the same performance gain by just sending me the money and letting me gamble it away. Seriously. Off the shelf tunes have a bad reputation for a reason. Very few of them do anything useful.
I'll respectfully disagree. As said above, I had a tuner in my '99 4.0L OHV Ranger and dad had one in his '00 4.0L SOHC Ranger. I can't say how much of a difference it made in the engine performance though it did feel like it had a bit more pep with the tuner installed. Bigger thing for both was improved transmission shift points. The shift improvement alone was worth the price of admission. Granted those were purchased over 15 years ago, so I'm sure the price of admission was lower then.

The one in the F-250 diesel has it running much better, has dyno proven (by users, not the tuner) results, and a very big following for a reason. It's also got other features that are beneficial for the application and an excellent platform for installing custom tunes if ever needed.

I had a 1991 Camaro 3.1 liter and used a performance chip with good results. No problems and definitely increased HP. I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on a tuner if I can get a performance chip for much cheaper and still get good results. I came to this site to buy a performance chip not discuss what the best way to increase HP. I'm going to buy a performance chip if available. I just have to locate one. All have a good night and thanks for everyone's comments,
Far as I know Jim doesn't sell performance chips or tuners and I haven't seen them pop up much in the for sale section. You probably aren't going to have much luck buying one here. Your best chance at getting a used one here is to post a wanted ad in the parts for sale section of the forum. If do that you will probably get a few scammers try to get you to buy one from someone they know offsite, so check out the person's site activity before you trust them. The moderators do a good job of filtering those people out, but some still get through.

Also be forewarned, threads often get off topic or head in a direction you may not have wanted. It just happens when you post something on an open forum, especially with a group as ADD as this one. Things are going along good and SQUIRREL..

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I have a performance chip. It doesn't really do much.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
they make one for our 3.0?

i guess since mine is a stick, i never thought about it needing one because of the tire shredding power available as soon as i push the gas pedal

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
they make one for our 3.0?

i guess since mine is a stick, i never thought about it needing one because of the tire shredding power available as soon as i push the gas pedal
You must have it confused with a 2.9

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals