• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I hate brakes on old rusty trucks

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
It never fails. Fix one rusty brake line and another springs a leak.
I’ve got the nicest neighbor I could ever ask for. A little old man in his 70s. A farmer, construction worker and general handy man. Getting up in age he can’t do like he use to.
He’s got an old gmc van rusted to hell. Been leaking brake fluid for who knows how long. He asked if I’d fix it for him. Without hesitation I say sure. He dropped it off yesterday and I got after it. Leak was easy to spot by the puddle it left in the driveway. Main line to the rear about 4’from the y to the rear breaks. Cut out the last 4’ put on a new section. Got the bleeders loose and tried to bleed them out and splat!!! Another line blew out on the front left. Good grief!!! Got the shield out of the way so I could find the rupture and see what I need to fix it. Called it a day and closed up the shop. The truck is such a hunk of junk I’m sure the new brake lines will outlast the rest of the rig. I guess I know what I’m doing tomorrow. Helping my favorite neighbor.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It never fails. Fix one rusty brake line and another springs a leak.
I’ve got the nicest neighbor I could ever ask for. A little old man in his 70s. A farmer, construction worker and general handy man. Getting up in age he can’t do like he use to.
He’s got an old gmc van rusted to hell. Been leaking brake fluid for who knows how long. He asked if I’d fix it for him. Without hesitation I say sure. He dropped it off yesterday and I got after it. Leak was easy to spot by the puddle it left in the driveway. Main line to the rear about 4’from the y to the rear breaks. Cut out the last 4’ put on a new section. Got the bleeders loose and tried to bleed them out and splat!!! Another line blew out on the front left. Good grief!!! Got the shield out of the way so I could find the rupture and see what I need to fix it. Called it a day and closed up the shop. The truck is such a hunk of junk I’m sure the new brake lines will outlast the rest of the rig. I guess I know what I’m doing tomorrow. Helping my favorite neighbor.
Brake lines are usually one of thosr fix one fixem all type things. They usually blow when you pump them up to bleed.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Been there done that, one time I was replacing pads on the ‘93 I had. When I pumped the brakes afterwards to seat the caliper pistons, the steel line from the left to right wheel blew. I ended up replacing everything from master to calipers, both rubber flex lines too. A few years before it was the rear brakes, the bleeders were seized so I ended up with new wheel cyls as well.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Just do it once and do them all.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Copper nickel lines are a wonderful thing.

After you remove all the rust prone steel ones...

Edit:
Then again so is the steel ones with that plastic coating line the wifes 11 lancer has never had to fo a single line in all the years or 200k...... very clean underneath...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Copper nickel lines are a wonderful thing.

After you remove all the rust prone steel ones...

Edit:
Then again so is the steel ones with that plastic coating line the wifes 11 lancer has never had to fo a single line in all the years or 200k...... very clean underneath...
The plastic coated ones hold up for a lot longer than the non coated... but they tend to rot right at the fitting where they’re not protected. It’s not as easily noticed on a PM.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I had the same thing with my 1998 Ranger. I just replaced everything I could get at. The only brake line I didn’t change was the one that ran past the fuel tank along the frame.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
You're a good person for helping out your neighbor. What goes around, comes around; so the good karma will come back to you one day.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had the same thing with my 1998 Ranger. I just replaced everything I could get at. The only brake line I didn’t change was the one that ran past the fuel tank along the frame.
Lol I left the old one there since I knew I would have to drop my tank to put the new pump in. So it sat there quietly rusting away until then with the new copper nickel fed past it.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The brake line on my 1992 Chevrolet Silverado (had been my dad's truck) blew in the same area in front of the rear wheels as the old guy's GMC van. Got it fixed a few years back. Seems to be a common Chev/GMC thing.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Had one rust through on my '88 right beside the gas tank. I was able to fish a new line through there but what a pain! It goes through one of the crossmembers and of course that whole spot was packed full of mud, no wonder it rusted off, it's impossible to clean out!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i try to help my neighbors who are older too. unfortunately my 98 year old neighbor passed away last Christmas but butch, across the road is still here. he retired an e9 in the airforce and then retired from civil service to become a contractor, which he retired from 7 years ago. anything i cannot figure out, i ask him and its always fixed whatever the problem was. so i try and help him out anytime he needs it. or buy him banana bread when i run into people selling it, he loves banana bread (but who doesn't)

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is it common to have to replace brake lines up north? That's a foreign thing to me down here in the south. I (knock on wood) can't recall anyone I know having to replace a hard line.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Is it common to have to replace brake lines up north? That's a foreign thing to me down here in the south. I (knock on wood) can't recall anyone I know having to replace a hard line.
Gotter done today. Did both front lines while I was under there, from the abs to the hoses. The salt really does some damage to parts up here. Yes it is a common problem. Kinda terrifying when they blow out exiting the freeway at 70 mph. YIKES!!! I get under there and pressure wash mine a few times a year but I think I’m the Lone Ranger ( pun intended ) 🤠

Last edited:

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
i try to help my neighbors who are older too. unfortunately my 98 year old neighbor passed away last Christmas but butch, across the road is still here. he retired an e9 in the airforce and then retired from civil service to become a contractor, which he retired from 7 years ago. anything i cannot figure out, i ask him and its always fixed whatever the problem was. so i try and help him out anytime he needs it. or buy him banana bread when i run into people selling it, he loves banana bread (but who doesn't)
Not enough people take the time to gather wisdom and experience from our older generation. Get it while you can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals