• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I may have an Idea...

93bushtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Would it be possible to take the manual shift parts from a BW 1350 and put them into an auto shift BW 1354? I had both cases beside eachother and it doesnt look like it would be overly difficult. The 1354 looks like it has clearances already for manual shifting pieces.

Any input is very much apprecited :icon_thumby:

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
You can try but I don't think it would work. The shifters are in totally different spots. The 1354 is on the back side and the manual is on the front right side (I think). And if it did work you would have a hole where the electric shift went. How come you don't just put the 1350 in?

93bushtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Its not quite as straight forward as I thought. The front yolk is different, driveshaft is too long, and the bolt holes are smaller and a different thread. If I had bolts, I would have thrown the case in there. But I didnt have any, and the truck needed to be mobile

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
You didn't use the driveshaft from your ranger did you? And was the screws you used from your old t case or the manual one?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Would it be possible to take the manual shift parts from a BW 1350 and put them into an auto shift BW 1354? I had both cases beside eachother and it doesnt look like it would be overly difficult. The 1354 looks like it has clearances already for manual shifting pieces.

Any input is very much apprecited :icon_thumby:
Technically, yes you can. You have to drill and ream the front half of the 13-54 in the exact right place for the shaft. You also have to drill it for the detent spring and ball (and for the switch, if you want to install it.) You then have to machine the case thinner to fit the shift shaft in. (the 13-54 case is thicker where the shaft comes through.)

Now that all that work is done, you can assemble the case using your modified 13-54 front half, the stock 13-50 rear case half, 13-54 high/low parts, and the 13-50 manual shift parts.

I've built 2 of these hybrid cases (I call them 13-52s.). If you build it right, no one will ever know its not original. Its really not worth all the time it takes to build it, just find a 13-54M.

93bushtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You didn't use the driveshaft from your ranger did you? And was the screws you used from your old t case or the manual one?
I threw the 13-54 back in as I didnt have bolts for the 13-50. It came with the truck

93bushtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Technically, yes you can. You have to drill and ream the front half of the 13-54 in the exact right place for the shaft. You also have to drill it for the detent spring and ball (and for the switch, if you want to install it.) You then have to machine the case thinner to fit the shift shaft in. (the 13-54 case is thicker where the shaft comes through.)

Now that all that work is done, you can assemble the case using your modified 13-54 front half, the stock 13-50 rear case half, 13-54 high/low parts, and the 13-50 manual shift parts.

I've built 2 of these hybrid cases (I call them 13-52s.). If you build it right, no one will ever know its not original. Its really not worth all the time it takes to build it, just find a 13-54M.
That does sound like a bit of a hassle. Out of curiosity, is there a thread on that?

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
I threw the 13-54 back in as I didnt have bolts for the 13-50. It came with the truck
I bet they are online somewhere or just go to a junkyard. And did you get a 95-96 explorer drive shaft?

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
That does sound like a bit of a hassle. Out of curiosity, is there a thread on that?
Nope, I never did a true write-up on it. Just bits and pieces, here and there. I dont have any pics from when I was building them.

You must have gotten an early 13-50. They used standard bolts up till around '86.

Last edited:

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I bet they are online somewhere or just go to a junkyard. And did you get a 95-96 explorer drive shaft?
He's got a 93, he doesnt need that shaft. Only the IFS trucks need it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals