• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i need advice

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i got a dana 30 out of a xj that i am planning on throwing under my ranger... but before i do that i need some advice. i kno alot of this imformation is already on here but i just can t seem to find wat im looking for...

1. i would like to paint it. could some one tell me the best way to do that? :icon_thumby:
2. i have a 6 inch lift on it now but still rub with 33's... wat size coil do you all recomend i run with the dana? :icon_confused: with the long arm kit i am running i can have up to a 8" coil... i just wanna tuck 33's with no body lift :icon_hornsup:
3. will the ranger driveshaft hook up to the dana 30? :dunno:
4. how did you all atach the jeep bump stops to the coil buckets?

i will have a 4 inch suspension lift brackets for the front and 4 inch coils for sale in the near future. no pitman arm. also a pair of 6 inch coils. 2 piece ds and stock coils.

thanks everyone in advance. im only 18 and am still learning, please feel free to share your knowledge :D

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
as far as paint get all the flake an rusty stuff off with a big ole wire wheel attached to a grinder.. works awesome then get yourself a 2inch cheapo brush an a qt of rustoloeum paint in your choice of color an smack it on.. as far as tucking 33s.. i have a 4inch lift an an inch body an tuck 33s no problem with no rubbing issues.. an my wheels are 3.25 backspacing an -21mm off set so they stick out a bit an would make it a bit harder to tuck them.. but they clear just dandy.

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
your drive shaft will work on the dana 30.

id say 3" lift coil from an xj should help clear the 33s. i have a set of coils that i wont be using since i decided to go with coilovers instead. ill let them go for cheap.

id recommed getting a set of adjustable coil buckets where you can adapt a bumpstop in like the BallisticFab buckets. i also have a set of those that i wont be using if your interested.

where are you getting your long arms from? i built mine using BallisticFab joints and bushings for less than half the price of the Rubicon Express arms.

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ill let you kno on the coils and coil buckets, how much did it cost you to build your long arms? is it two y-links?

89sport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
just like destroyer said sand paper,wirebrush and wire wheel works just perfectly and then atleast 2 cans of your favorite rattle can paint works.

I would suggest getting a set of 97-99 wrangler tj shafts since they are a ton better. I would also figure out which knucles you have the early HP30's had weaker ones. I used my tj shafts and knuckles when i did my hp30 in my jeep.

OH ya get the axle shaft seals from one of the many companies that make them as the factory seals are junky plastic ones. trust me on that one they are worth the money.

i got some more info on the 30 but can't think of it all right now since i have a headache

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
alright thanks 89sport as far as painting it do i need to cover or remove anything before i go to town on it

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
and destroyer i got a six inch susp. lift and no body lift and i still rub when i wheel. but thats cuz i got 10 inch wide rims.

89sport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alright thanks 89sport as far as painting it do i need to cover or remove anything before i go to town on it
pull the shafts out and tape up the shaft holes and go to town. pm me a reminder and i'll check the few jeep sites im on and see if i can track down some tj shafts if you want.

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
should i get the tj shafts or the chromolly shafts with the bigger u joints?

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
ill let you kno on the coils and coil buckets, how much did it cost you to build your long arms? is it two y-links?
id say it cost me around $260 but that cuz i had some material laying around that i could use. it helps having a lathe and a mill.

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya that would help to have a lathe and a mill. the lower arms are 270 and the uppers are 190 through rustys.

89sport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
should i get the tj shafts or the chromolly shafts with the bigger u joints?
it just depends on how much money you want to spend. I run 33 and 35's on my jeep offroad and have stock tj shafts with no problems. I have buddys with chromos with 37's with no problems. Most importantly is the u-joints.

did you get a vaccumed or non-disco d30?

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
its a non disco out of a 1998 xj and it has well under 100 thousand on her. the u- joints are still good, but i am going to upgrade them and get the chromolly shafts later and possibly locking hubs from mile marker or warn.

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so my ranger coils will not fit on the coil perches on the axle and jeep coils are not rated for the wieght of my truck what do you suggest i run?

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
well the coil spring are set up upside-down on the jeep. i dont see why jeep xj coils wouldnt work on a ranger. they are both very close in weight and according to uhaul, they are both 3700#. it would ride better than ranger coils would on a solid axle.

btw, i would just get stronger coil buckets.

i have a few things for a dana 30 laying around if you are interested. i can make up a list if you'd like.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals