• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I thought this was an interesting read...

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
The sites info is pretty good,

But you need to work on how you write it up in the other argument... lol. After reading this I know what you were trying to say but it still didn't come out right.

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
borrow it for a tech article?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
one other plus for the narrow tire is that it allows you pick your route along trails more easily than the big, wide, flotation tires. been on more than a few trails with guys (and gals) with the big tires and they have been forced to muscle their way over rocks and obstacles that i was able to pick a path around. this resulted in less carnage to my ride while watching them loose beads, destroy rockers, overheat motors, etc. btw, i run 215/85-16 AT's.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The sites info is pretty good,

But you need to work on how you write it up in the other argument... lol. After reading this I know what you were trying to say but it still didn't come out right.
Yep, that's why I posted this... The other post was real bad, it was late and I didn't feel like reading it over to see what it said, sorry bout that haha...

I just reread my post, it wasn't as bad as I thought though...

Last edited:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to have a set of 11.00R16 michelins for some wheelin, or hacked Q78's... Skinny and Wide are both good...they just have their places.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to have a set of 11.00R16 michelins for some wheelin, or hacked Q78's... Skinny and Wide are both good...they just have their places.
I'd like to find some 7.50R16's Michelin XZL's for my new truck, but it's impossible to find them almost... Wide tires have their place, like deep sand, and snow, but for most everything else, skinny tires work the same...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is hard to say what will work every time, but I have never had to use a pickup to pull out one of my little 2wd tractors... with their bigish rear tires so far it has always been the other way around. My biggest one is about 5k pounds with me on it, which is lighter than my F-150 and will go places that will give most trucks nightmares... deep snow and mud with 5.50-16 tri rib front tires and 13.6-28 Firestone Field and Road rear tires.

Last edited:

MatthewT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L
Transmission
Manual

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I went browsing that web address and all they use are Toyota's. Why? Can't Rangers Do the same thing?
Because that site is more about traveling around the world in a vehicle rather than just 'wheeling'... Toyota reliability has been proven... Also, good luck trying to find a part for a Ford Ranger outside the US... Toyota has probably the largest world market, Ford on the other hand, doesn't... They don't all have Toyotas, he had a Trooper at one time, and has a couple Jeeps, and has a Land Rover Discovery now... All vehicles with relatively large support networks, I highly highly doubt any mechanic in South America has ever seen a Cologne 4.0L, but they sure do know what a Toyota 1GR-FE, 1HZ, 2F, 3FE, 2H, 12HT the list goes on, is...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Because that site is more about traveling around the world in a vehicle rather than just 'wheeling'... Toyota reliability has been proven... Also, good luck trying to find a part for a Ford Ranger outside the US... Toyota has probably the largest world market, Ford on the other hand, doesn't... They don't all have Toyotas, he had a Trooper at one time, and has a couple Jeeps, and has a Land Rover Discovery now... All vehicles with relatively large support networks, I highly highly doubt any mechanic in South America has ever seen a Cologne 4.0L, but they sure do know what a Toyota 1GR-FE, 1HZ, 2F, 3FE, 2H, 12HT the list goes on, is...
Wasn't Land Rover owned by Ford until recently?

Kind of funny the opposite is true here in the middle of nowhere in the US, it is over an hour to the nearest Toyota dealership in Omaha and because of that not much is stocked locally... there are just not that many of them around. However there is a Ford dealership at the other end of town and most parts are in stock even for my '85 at all of the parts places. For a Rover or Izuzu... I highly doubt it.

The US version of the Ranger isn't sold in too many other countries, and they are all in central America.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wasn't Land Rover owned by Ford until recently?

Kind of funny the opposite is true here in the middle of nowhere in the US, it is over an hour to the nearest Toyota dealership in Omaha and because of that not much is stocked locally... there are just not that many of them around. However there is a Ford dealership at the other end of town and most parts are in stock even for my '85 at all of the parts places. For a Rover or Izuzu... I highly doubt it.

The US version of the Ranger isn't sold in too many other countries, and they are all in central America.
Land Rover was owned by Ford until recently, but they didn't use any NAS parts... Mexico is the only other country that gets a similiar, barely, Ranger as the US... Ford, without a doubt has better service coverage in the states, but get outside and Toyota wins...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals