• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I want a diesel !!!!!!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The new generation of trucks seem to handle slogging around a farm just fine... pretty much every farmer has one and they do more with their trucks than they did way back when.
Most farmers have 3/4-1tons. They dont suffer from the lack of truckness the 1/2tons and smaller do. Not to mention most farmers use UTVs for rough stuff anymore.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There are no known turbo failures with any of the EcoBoost engines.
I personally have replaced 3 failed EB turbos, and have been in some way party to the replacement of at least five more.

None of those vehicles had less than 75,000 miles though, and most of them were being run flat out most of the time. So they are durable, but it is not correct to say that there are no known failures.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most farmers have 3/4-1tons. They dont suffer from the lack of truckness the 1/2tons and smaller do. Not to mention most farmers use UTVs for rough stuff anymore.
They run the gamut.

Lots of half tons out there. I see them pulling the dual anhydrous tanks too. It burns the brakes out of all of them but they still have to do it.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
They run the gamut.

Lots of half tons out there. I see them pulling the dual anhydrous tanks too. It burns the brakes out of all of them but they still have to do it.
Those arnt hard to pull really, any truck will move alot when theres no real weight on the truck. I pull started a loaded peterbilt at the yard with my 77.

I just think that any "truck" that cant bounce over a parking curb without risking the front fascia is not a proper truck. IMO

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Those arnt hard to pull really, any truck will move alot when theres no real weight on the truck. I pull started a loaded peterbilt at the yard with my 77.

I just think that any "truck" that cant bounce over a parking curb without risking the front fascia is not a proper truck. IMO
I can do that in my Ranger since I put the 31s on.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The no weight on the truck is what makes it sketchy.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The no weight on the truck is what makes it sketchy.
I understand that. But the fact a new 1/2 ton can pull two anhydrous tanks has no bearing on their capabilitys over an old 1/2 ton. The extra weight/wider stance would help, but any 1/2 ton from 67+ would handle it no problem.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
So even though the newer ones have a greater payload and towing capacity while getting better fuel economy, the old ones were better trucks?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
So even though the newer ones have a greater payload and towing capacity while getting better fuel economy, the old ones were better trucks?
Yes, atleast in my opinion.

The old ones had...
Ground Clearence
Manual trannys
Manual transfer cases/lockouts
Interior room (i hate the huge center consoles and 3 feet of dash behind the windsheild)
Bodys you could lean on without denting
You didnt have nannies telling you what to do (trac/stability control, abs, etc)
8ft boxes wernt special order....

20 year old trucks have been doing the same things that new trucks can do, just like 40 year old trucks were doing the same things 20 year old trucks were doing when they were new. Everyone buys into the "newer is better" thing, but thats not really the case, because "better" is a term open to interpertation.

So, you guys go buy your 60,000 dollar F150s, ill be the guy in the 94 towing the same load, and passing you up the dirt path to the cabin because youre afraid of scratching it, and the 55,000 dollar price difference between the two trucks will buy a helluva lotta fuel.

Over and Out.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I have no intention of buying the $60k truck. That said, in 20 years when it starts venturing down to the same $5k threshold of your '94, I'll gladly make the step upward in capability, comfort, etc.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I have no intention of buying the $60k truck. That said, in 20 years when it starts venturing down to the same $5k threshold of your '94, I'll gladly make the step upward in capability, comfort, etc.
Like i said, its all subject to your own opinions and preferences. Personally, i think my 97 HD is the most comfortable truck ive ever driven. Its way more comfy then the newer superduties ive driven, and certainly alot more comfy then 150s ive driven.

All im trying to say is, this new stuff isnt as great as its made out to be.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Yes, atleast in my opinion.

The old ones had...
Ground Clearence
Manual trannys
Manual transfer cases/lockouts
Interior room (i hate the huge center consoles and 3 feet of dash behind the windsheild)
Bodys you could lean on without denting
You didnt have nannies telling you what to do (trac/stability control, abs, etc)
8ft boxes wernt special order....

20 year old trucks have been doing the same things that new trucks can do, just like 40 year old trucks were doing the same things 20 year old trucks were doing when they were new. Everyone buys into the "newer is better" thing, but thats not really the case, because "better" is a term open to interpertation.

So, you guys go buy your 60,000 dollar F150s, ill be the guy in the 94 towing the same load, and passing you up the dirt path to the cabin because youre afraid of scratching it, and the 55,000 dollar price difference between the two trucks will buy a helluva lotta fuel.

Over and Out.
480k on my 1988 F250 supercab 4x4 with the 460 V8 and automatic transmission, and its still going. It rides fine, no complaints about that, it is a truck I don't expect it to ride like a Cadillac. Have never done anything to it other than regular maintenance, batteries, tires, general wear items. I'd take it and its 12-14mpg highway fuel economy empty any day over the new junk they're trying to pass off as trucks today. Truck prices have increased astronomically because many are buying trucks to use as family sedans now which is the reason trucks are becoming more and more sissified as the years go by.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Well they don't get better fuel economy when they're actually being used as a truck. TFL Truck tested that theory and the V8 actually did better not by much but a little better, you can't load up a truck with an underpowered engine and expect it to perform like a V8, V10, or a diesel. The numbers look cool on paper but in the real world those little V6's with twin turbos just aren't doing what Ford is trying to let on that they do. Sure they will get 20mpg on the highway if you drive like a grandma but as soon as you get into the turbos your fuel economy will be the same or worse than a V8.

Also, not a fan of driving around in recycled aluminum cans. Wonder if you can see the Budweiser labels if you scrape the paint off the truck?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
All the farmer strawbosses around here drive F150 turbos and there is mud cakes all the way to the top of them especially this time of year.
The laborers that actually do the work might drive a SD farm owned work truck but they sure get stuck in the mud a lot faster.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
You obviously dont understand metaphors either.

What i was saying is that trucks are now catered to the people who really should be driving a sedan or minivan. They want a smooth ride and carlike handling, automatic/electronic this and that, etc. All this stuff are things most traditional truck buyers would rather just do without.

I also understand carbs and manuals are gone, doesnt mean i have to be happy about it.

I want a truck that is more at home slogging down a muddy farm path then driving a surburban street. That doesnt jive with johnnys mom.

I have no interest in complicated anything. Like i said, everything is going to break at some point. Ive found the more simple something is, the more durable, and way eaiser/cheaper to fix.

This is why my newest truck turns 21 this year. I dont care if i get passed by some jackass in his 6.7L PSD pulling 2 excavators while my 460 is sucking enough fuel to feed the saudis for a year yanking my 32 ft travel trailer up the same hill, ill be the one laughing when he has 3x the money into injectors and a turbo as i will have in a total rebuild.

I never will understand the modern reasoning of "NOTHING can slow me down, if i cant tow a house 25mph over the expressway limit then its worthless".
Good luck with that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals