• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

im desperate enough to make my own thread. 1988 ford 2.9 nightmare, need help getting it to run.

scottyscreaming

Reaction score
this is a bit of a long story and the correct answer is i need to just get rid of the stupid lemon but i refuse to give up because i feel like i am so close to getting it finished.

where all nightmares start is i bought a non running truck. 1988 ford ranger 2.9 v6 5 speed 4x4 with manual transfer case, it was cheap and pretty rust free for a rust belt truck. i thought it would take a weekend to get it running. its been a year and a half and im still fighting tooth and nail. what i thought would have been a wiring issue ended up being water in the gas take and a completely plugged fuel system. replaced the tank, lines, both pumps, injectors, and fuel pressure regulator. truck ran but kinda like shit at idle. fixed the wiring up in the engine, gave it new plugs and wires and drove it for a few days, it was running pretty rich and i ended up hydro locking the engine because one of the brand new injectors was stuck open while i was trying to get it to start with fouled plugs. that collapsed a lifter so i ended up tearing the upper half of the engine apart had the heads re done, replaced the lifters, new head gaskets and all that jaz. the truck ran again but was still running rich with a second set of new tested injectors that did not leak. turns out the truck was only making 15 psi of vacuum at idle and would run so rich it would fowl the plugs after 10 minutes of driving, almost like it had a cam in it and the computer was very angry. it had great compression, no vacuum leaks, timing was set correctly and when i would hook a vacuum pump to the map sensor and crank it to 20psi like my other perfectly good running ranger and it would idle perfectly. but with it making vacuum on its own it would chop real bad and blow black smoke. i replaced the computer, tore the wiring harness out and checked every single wire, continuity checked and resistance tested and it all was fine. ive replaced every single sensor in the engine bay, some multiple times. and nothing got it to run correctly. i figured the bottom end was fucked somehow even though every test i made came back good. got fed up and got a running engine out of a 1989 bronco ii.

over the winter i completely tore the engine down, replaced the bearings, timing chain set, lifters, gaskets, pistons, rings, oil pump and used the heads i redid off the old engine that had about 30 miles on em. i quadruple checked everything was put together correctly with proper torque and fresh gaskets as i went along. being such an anal retentive detailed oriented person i wanted to make sure it was done correctly, even though no engine builder in a 50 mile radius would take my money to do it for me. over the weekend i managed to drop the newly rebuilt engine into the truck and get everything bolted in and the wiring all back together, its 100% ready to drive. if it would run.

i can not get this pile of shit to fire for the life of me. in the past week i have verified i have installed the timing chain correctly, verified that i am at top dead center on the compression stroke, tried two different distributors, 3 different tfi modules, it has 30psi at the fuel rail, its getting spark to all of the spark plugs. its making compression, they are all around 120psi, fresh piston and rings on a freshly honed block (ive read its normal for them to be a little low till they break in.) all the spark plugs smell of fuel after 10 minutes of me cranking as i rotate the distributor trying to find a spot its happy, done this with the pip plugged in and not plugged in. it doesn't even fire on starting fluid with the fuel relay unplugged, new starter relay and starter, fresh gas can worth of gas before i pulled the old engine that did run and drive albeit poorly.

it has compression, the spark plugs are sparking, it has fuel and air. im lost here. it has to be riming related? no? how can i mess up setting the timing so hard it doesnt even try and fire, not a single pop not a single rumble. this isn't my first rodeo but this rodeo might just be my last. im a professional mechanic of a totally different field so im at least mechanically inclined but this thing is completely throwing me for a loop. none of my friends can figure it out. my dad who used to work for ford 30 years ago when the ranger came out is even totally stumped. any help would be greatly appreciated.

if you're just going to tell me to v8 or 4.0 swap it forget it unless you've got a running and driving 4x4 5 speed donor ready for me to buy for $800 in SE Michigan, trust me i would love to but im working with what i got here.
my 87 ranger 2.9 5 speed 2wd has 270k original miles and id drive that truck to California and back in a heart beat. imy old bronco ii was a total pile of shit and it still ran better than this truck. i dont understand why this 88 is fighting me so hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Ok first off... I'm gonna ask you to refrain from the foul language. We don't do that here. I'll have to edit your post to remove it. Just don't do it anymore. Deal?

What I can tell you is there are a pile of junk parts being sold these days. I would be suspect of the injectors you put in. Lots of horror stories. If you bought them from ebay or anywhere really I would have them tested...

Even if the cam timing was off it would pop or bang... something.

Hopefully someone else offers up so other thoughts.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Is it possible that you didn't have the cam and crankshaft aligned properly when you installed the timing chain? Or that you've somehow stabbed the distributor 180 off?

If you've verified spark and it's not even trying to start on ether, it's either not sparking at the correct time or compression is too low. 120 is pretty low but it should at least cough or something.

I would advise that you quit cranking and dumping fuel into it and try to make it run on ether, besides fowling plugs gas will wash the cylinder walls and compound your compression issue.

scottyscreaming

Reaction score
Bit of an update. Cleaned the ground to the block and put the old sparkplugs back in and got it to run on starting fluid. Runs pretty well. But only on starting fluid. The second I plug the fuel relay back in it starts spitting and sputtering and stalls out. So I either have bad gas or the injectors I got are still wrong. Gonna clean up the old set I I had from the used motor, get some new o rings and throw those in to see if it runs any better.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had issues on my 87 2.9 ranger. I did not go to your level to fix it. I am converting mine to later year pump but that is another story. My question to you is did you remove the reservoir and clean it? I did a bunch of work to mine only to find out that the the reservoir was the problem. The inside of the reservoir has the connection from the tank fill up the reservoir so the high pressure pump can pick it up. The line goes to the bottom of the reservoir. Mine had crap in the bottom of it and it was blocking it.

scottyscreaming

Reaction score
I had issues on my 87 2.9 ranger. I did not go to your level to fix it. I am converting mine to later year pump but that is another story. My question to you is did you remove the reservoir and clean it? I did a bunch of work to mine only to find out that the the reservoir was the problem. The inside of the reservoir has the connection from the tank fill up the reservoir so the high pressure pump can pick it up. The line goes to the bottom of the reservoir. Mine had crap in the bottom of it and it was blocking it.
I ended up bypassing the reservoir on my 87 and deep cleaned it on this 88. And I did end up get it running correctly. Ended up being 2 sets of injectors with the wrong flow rate. 🤬 but it runs great now minus the horrible valve train noise I can't quite figure out.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
From what I have read/experienced, the 2.9 is a nightmare in general.

scottyscreaming

Reaction score
From what I have read/experienced, the 2.9 is a nightmare in general.
I guess it depends on the truck. My 87 has 270k miles all origional. Never had an issue with the 2.9. Got this 88 and it's constantly trying to put itself out of its misery despite me trying so hard to keep it on the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals