• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Info on automatic transmission casing differences in 98-00

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have the auto transmission out in my truck. I had been told that ONLY a 98-00 4speed auto from a 4x4 would fit it. It appears the bellhousing unbolts like every other transmission I have seen and the rear spacer housing (for lack of a better term, the part the tansfercase bolts to). are removable and that other 4speed autos from say, a 2.3l non-4x4 would work with the bolt up parts. anyone know about this?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the mainshafts are different between 2wd and 4wd tranmissions. it IS possible to "convert" a 2wd to 4wd...but requires dissasembling the whole transmission to do it...hardly cost effective when the proper trans can usually be found.

there are also internal differences between 2.3/3.0 transmissions and 4.0 transmissions (strength related).

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, knew the 3.0vs4.0 were different since the 4.0s were 5 speeds right? But that answers my question. Have mine out of my truck and am going to attempt a rebuild...will see how it goes! thanks!!

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 4.0 could either come with a 4 speed auto (4R55E) or a 5 speed auto (5R55E). Eventually the 5R55E became standard and they did away with the 4R55E. 2.3s/3.0s get a 4 speed auto (4R44E). The 4R55E is a beefed up version of the 4R44E to handle the extra power of the 4.0, similar to the 4.0 version of the A4LD.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ANY 4.0 transmission will fit your truck.....if you have a '98 + 4wd 4.0, then you have the 5R55E transmission in there now...

I have a 5R55E for sale for $150 + shipping if you are interested.....

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I have the auto transmission out in my truck. I had been told that ONLY a 98-00 4speed auto from a 4x4 would fit it. It appears the bellhousing unbolts like every other transmission I have seen and the rear spacer housing (for lack of a better term, the part the tansfercase bolts to). are removable and that other 4speed autos from say, a 2.3l non-4x4 would work with the bolt up parts. anyone know about this?
There are significant differences internally to the 4R44E/5R55E and weather or not it's a 2.3 or 3.0 and 4.0L engines. It's not as simple as changing bellhousings.
First are the bellhousings themselves. They don't interchange between the engine types for a few reasons. The way the pump supports the O/D drum is different which means it's not a simple swap.
Secondly, the planetarys are different. A 4R44E behind a 2.3L has 4 pin planetary geatsets while a 5R55E behind a 4.0l has 6 pin planetary gearsets.
Thirdly, the forward and direct clutches have less plates for the smaller engines than the 4.0L.
That said, you could take, for example, a 2002 4.0L 5R55E and swap it in place of a 98 4.0L 4R55E because the newer trans is stronger than the older. But don't swap it out the other way.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never understood why they just didn't use the same transmission for all of them. Do the weaker internals in the 4R44E really cost that much less that having to produce two different transmissions?

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks! as I said that answers my questions. I probably would have done the rebuild anyway, but figure on keeping options open.

themanrosen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
do you still have the 5r55e?

slvr00gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ANY 4.0 transmission will fit your truck.....if you have a '98 + 4wd 4.0, then you have the 5R55E transmission in there now...

I have a 5R55E for sale for $150 + shipping if you are interested.....
There is at least one difference between 98-00 & 01+ 5r55e. ISS sensor was added to newer 5r55e. Somebody mentioned a change in the bolt patten where one of the bolts would not fit ( which should not be too big of a deal ). So far I can't find anybody who tried to successfully install 01+ 5r55e on older truck

I send you private message about the tranny you are selling

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals