• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

inspection plate act as a shim

mnmattie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
does the plate between the motor and tranny also act as a shim for the starter? I have a fm146 with the 2.9 and the starter just sits there and doesn't make contact. the kid i bought it from put a new starter in it but didn't put that plate back on. my guess is that the stater is kickin out too far now and i need to shim it back out. what do you guys think?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
the teeth on the flywheel and on the starter have more engagement than that plate is thick. have you tried pulling the starter and seeing if thebendex actually throws the spur gear out?

mnmattie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hmmmm....well i'll pull the starter out and look at it. nothing seems chewed up. install it and it'll start fine once. then when i try to start it again it sounds like it chews up the flywheel for a sec then spins freely. i'll try to start it again and the starter makes no contact. so i was thinking that maybe it's kicking the spur gear out too far???

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
for proper starter alignment, the plate does act as a shim so that is probably part of your problem...could also need a ring gear on the flywheel.....

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
sounds like the ring gear might be partially stripped. The spur gear is also probably very worn. Both will need to be replaced.

mnmattie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well the ring gear and spur gear look fine. i picked up a shim and i'll let you guys know what I come up with when i throw it in.

mnmattie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
threw the shim in and didn't fix it. i noticed on the flywheel that the starter engages just the very tip of the flywheel and the starter didn't look very chewed up. it almost seems that the starter spur gear should be a little larger to fit snugger in the ring gear. are there some starters that have the same teeth count but a smaller spur gear?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hmmmm....well i'll pull the starter out and look at it. nothing seems chewed up. install it and it'll start fine once. then when i try to start it again it sounds like it chews up the flywheel for a sec then spins freely. i'll try to start it again and the starter makes no contact. so i was thinking that maybe it's kicking the spur gear out too far???
your starter drive needs to be replaced.. there's a ratchet mechanism, in the starter drive, that causes the starter to free spin, when it isn't engaging, properly, and makes a grinding sound, sometimes, as the starter shaft is rotating and slipping, within the starter drive..

checker auto sells a starter repair kit, made by liberty lap, that includes bushings, brushes, along with a new starter drive.. when I bought mine, it was only $12.99.. have you rebuilt a starter, before..

pm me if you find this information to be helpful..

when we're not living too far away, from each other.. maybe, I can give you hand, sometime, and help you rebuild your starter, if you'd like..

Last edited:

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
When replacing the starter,push it toward the engine as you tighten the bolts.
My 2.8 does the same thing sometimes. I put a new starter on awhile back and the same thing. It doesn't move much, but enough.
We have a F-250 w/ 351 here on the farm that does it also.

bartkowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well you said the kid put a new starter in it, can you check to make sure he put the right one in?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals