• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Instrument Cluster swap

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
its kind of wierd taking it out you have to pull on one side and push on the other and jigglr it out but it comes out why do you want to take it out do you have a manual transmisson?
and the code does it have anything to do with the instrument cluster
I have a Manual Transmission and the gear indicator is just there sitting on 1st Gear all the time. I want to take it out, but in order to put in my old one, I have to take it apart, which I don't want to because of fear of messing it up.

My Check Engine Light has been on for a while, it has nothing to do with the Cluster swap. It's the EVAP system giving me hell. I'm trying to clean the Purge Valve with Choke cleaner, but no luck, I think I may have to buy a new one. If that's not it, I'll move on to the silonoid.:mad:

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i would like to find an instrument cluster with a tach but i dont want to pay for one pn eabt and it not work so im looking all over craiglist:bawling:
Are junk yards not an option for you? It's always the best bet because if it doesn't work, you can return it and you can always haggle the price down. I got a Radio Bezel with Fog switch and a the cluster for 60 bucks. They wanted originally 50 bucks for cluster and 30 bucks for bezel. All you have to remember is that they are trying to sell everything they can because most of the stuff gets thrown out. If you take what you need to the front, and don't buy it, chances are they won't get sold again. Well, that's how it works around in my area. There's about 12 JY in a 5 mile radius from me, so chances are that they will settle for a lower price.

irishblessing

you dont have to take apart the cluster to take out the gear indicator theres a small plastic piece on each side (very small) you pull those at the same time and pull it out

and i finally got a cluster got it all mounted up today and everything works even the door ajar light that i didnt have on my previous cluster i had to drive 34 miles and pay 70 bucks to get it but it looks better and everything works. switched out my blue bulbs to my new cluster and going to see what they look like tonight overall im EXTREMELY happy:D

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
What about your Check Gauge?

Mine turns on at start up, but I don't know if it will work on low fuel. I had to fill up when I was close to Empty since I was going to hit the road. Maybe next time, I'll let the gas gauge kiss the redline and see what happens.

Thanks, I'll check it out whenever possible. I have to check on a bulb anyways since it looks very dim at night (probably burn out bulb). I have exams coming up and I won't be able to go home (where my tools are at) til 3 weeks from now.

irishblessing

my check gauge comes on at start up then goes away
you might as well replace all of the bulbs too while your at it cause you change one put it all back together and another will burn out its just what happens goood luck

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that usually happens. They seem kinda dim as well, so I believe a full replacement is needed.

irishblessing

welll the idiot lights are not run by the 6 black twist in bulbs there seperate

spnlthaxton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
could i do this in my 93 as well?...i done got the white face gauges but want a tach as well but i dnt wanna after market one i think and i can always hit ebay back up for the white face panels i just wanna know if it also be plug and play for me as well and a simple swap

MYLILRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3L..Future Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Instrument cluster swap

I have a 1992 Ford Ranger with an instrument cluster with no tach and wondering if it's difficult and or possible to replace with an instrument cluster with a tach from a same yr truck?; or anything else that would be compatible

Thanks,
DG

makotoseven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1992 Ford Ranger with an instrument cluster with no tach and wondering if it's difficult and or possible to replace with an instrument cluster with a tach from a same yr truck?; or anything else that would be compatible

Thanks,
DG
I was wondering the same thing. I've been searching for answers.

if i've failed in my search i'd appreciate some helpful correction :)

makotoseven

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It is a direct swap. I just installed an instrument cluster with a tach in my 92 ranger.

just pull the old and plug in the new. it couldn't be simpler.

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yup, I'm talking about that. It doesn't bother me, but maybe I should take it out. I don't have the basketBALLS to remove the needles. I feel like breaking the orange needle off and putting a piece of tape over the gears.

My timing is a bit advanced (long story), so your RPM's can be off a bit from my observations(Expect a bit lower speed or same at 2500 RPM in 1st gear). Also, you have a 2.5, I have a 2.3, so it should be a bit different, but not by much I believe.

But as promised, here are the pics. One one pic, I have the key on the ON position. As you can see, the only thing that is not on is the airbag light because it comes on and turns off fast (and the Door Ajar is outside the pic, but it turns on). The other one shows the truck on Idle (Damn you Check Engine code P1443:bawling:).
these pics helped really big for me! I took my 98 explorer cluster back and grabbed one from an explorer that was labeled as a 95 (for my 96 ranger) still had issues. looked at these pics, noticed where the check engine light, the cluster says "check susp" and then checked the part number...FUUUU its a 99 cluster sigh.

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
got a 95-96 explorer cluster and it works perfectly. this one uses the same temp sender as my ranger and the "6" on the tach is red compared to an all white tach from 97+ explorer clusters.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Another thing to think about is the gauge back light color. 95/97 Rangers had blue, 98+ Ranger and Explorers had green. I have a 97 Ranger and I liked the green better so I changed my cluster, heater controls and head light switch to green . My cluster doesn't have a tach. It has the wire. So I just added a aftermarket tach

HAWGFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is an old thread ,but i;m doin the swap to 2 trucks and the place i got a really good deal on the parts is arguin they don;t swap accordin to Hollander,,lol... there was no mention of the mercury mountaineeer but I assume the 95-01 dashes will swap in as well although i noticed some of the printed circuits don't line up...I think this might be the troubles everyone has grumbled about and just switchin that circuit gasket would stop having to swap gauges.. I am in the south , so clean parts are everywhere, even folks viein online to get your ranger explorer business on evilbay and craigslist so shop around for prices. I also think tha it should NOT go by the year of the vehicle and should go by the actual part nummbers on the parts. I know F57F-10894-A stock no tack ranger dash housings etc, swap through 98 as I have the trucks here, clear F57F-10B885-A..circuit is F77F-10C956..I will report back as I got Yards to hit that are old school and allow me to pull and tniker to my heart content...and their wallet,lol HNY YA"LL!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals