• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Instrument Panel LEDs

3hokies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so what is the consensus of opinion on Generation 1 (88) install. I 'm gonna go Red. how many lights and what number.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Ok, so what is the consensus of opinion on Generation 1 (88) install. I 'm gonna go Red. how many lights and what number.

I have no clue what led would give the best illumination.
If you make the conversion please post photos and the type of led you used
I am trying to decide if i want to do the conversion or not.

For a Gen 1 you will need

194's

1 Blue High-beams
2 Green Blinkers
2 Red Brakes and Seat-belts
4 Panel Illumination

74's
1 Red oil light
6 amber rear anti-lock(is more yellow than amber), 4x4, low range, emiss, check engine(88 i think as the first year to have it wired), and check oil

3hokies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Thanks, I have a diagram in my 88 ford shop manual but I wasn't sure of the Numbers of the bulbs.

3hokies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
88 Ranger Shop manual lighting diagram is up in my photo albums

87fiveoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got all red leds in my gauges, except for dash panel (speedometer) they are blue, i will post some pictures up tomorrow for yall guys.

tony314

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I gotta order some from superbrightleds soon to replace mine.

3hokies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Started to install yesterday...bright white in the heat/ac looks great, red 74 in the automatic floor shift I can barely see. Too damn cold outside to finish the instrument cluster

3hokies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
LED installation complete and man what a difference. It only took 5 lights. Three WLED-XP5-PC RED lights for the gauges, 2-on the speedometer side, 1- on the other. One WLED XP5 WHITE for the A/C-Heat controls. And 1-74-xHP RED on the Shifter. Pretty easy install, unscrew the plastic covers on the gauges to pop-off the green caps that cover the bulbs then install the bulbs in the old twistlocks through the back of the cluster. I had the dash cover out trying to find a water leak in the windshield. I didn't change the turn signals or warning lights....waste of $$$$ To do the shifter you have to take it apart to get the green light cover off...piece of cake I'll post the pics in my albums...take a look.

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used cool white LEDs and the color came through light blue green didb't like it at first. Now I really like it because it looks like the black face gauges on the 2010 -2013 black non premium gauges. I bought 10 leds and I used 9 of them up on everything dome, glovebox, heater control, and IP hope this helps
PS. I didn't have time to swap the bulbs myself my buddy who is a master tech did all of them for 50 bucks.

Last edited:

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My reds don't shine through very bright like I was expecting. Don't get me wrong I can see the gauges fine, but they just aren't "super bright". Now, most of the reason is obviously the fact that I left the green film on the back of the gauge and it's cutting the light output substantially. I really like the look of them though since it matches up with my wideband... almost like i planned it too!

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My reds don't shine through very bright like I was expecting. Don't get me wrong I can see the gauges fine, but they just aren't "super bright". Now, most of the reason is obviously the fact that I left the green film on the back of the gauge and it's cutting the light output substantially. I really like the look of them though since it matches up with my wideband... almost like i planned it too!
Same hear just I can see my red accents fine just the leds are just a tad dimmer than the originals. I still tell people to use LEDs mainly it look nicer, and they last longer if done correctly

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Same hear just I can see my red accents fine just the leds are just a tad dimmer than the originals. I still tell people to use LEDs mainly it look nicer, and they last longer if done correctly
Agreed, in the past 2 years I've owned this truck I've already had to replace over half of my bulbs. LED's are the obvious choice if you want longevity in your components, and they add a bit of customized flare depending on the color. I love how mine look and I would gladly do it again. I just wish there was a better way to get that film off the back :annoyed:

chudykGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Bulb listing for 2008

Ok, I have a 2008 Ranger Sport 4x4. I am trying to figure out wich bulbs to be used for instrument cluster, and wich to use for hvac, and 4x4 dial.
I've been reading this page(s) and looking on superbrightled.com and am still not sure wich ones I am to be ordering.

I know I want to go nuts and get the 6led or whatever super bright wide angle ones for the instrument cluster but what type of base do I get them in?

Right now My lower dash is apart and in the garage, but I have to drive the truck to my mechanic to change a u-joint, so I dont feel like pullin gthe cluster then trying to put it back in the dark.

ANY help would be appreciated. Half the links in this 4 year long list are 404 or don't exist anymore.

chudykGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. The local ford dealer is of no help. They only will say hey, the bulbs for the instrument cluster are $44 each. (27$ if u have your used car dealer licence) how it works in my city is you phone parts warehouse tell them what you want, pay them, and they will order them in and then you can pick them up. Obviously I won't pay that.
I managed to get a ford part number of 10k925 for the bulbs. Since superbright led says to be sure what you order is what you have, I'm taking the cluster out tonight, and will take pics etc.
Also, there is a teeny bulb in the 4x4 switch. Ford doesn't even sell the bulb, they say just replace the whole switch.
Aarrgh

chudykGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so dash apart, there is a "Toshiba V2" plastic twist housing. From what i read online, it is a housing and the bulb should pull out.
Here is what it looks like:
v2 bulb housing 2.png

I can only make out this info on the bulb itself:
14v and possibly 1.25w not sure its rubbed off.
ANyone give me any sort of info on this?

Pulled out some other bulbs, I managed to get TSD 6

if you looked at the bulb from top down, reading left to right, the markings are as follows
TSD 6
14v1.25w . 5

I have NOT been able to find out anything about these bulbs. ANy help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals