• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

insurance clames

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
has anyone ever had to deal with the insurance company for dear damage when they had their truck fianced?

i hit a deer yesterday and reported it to my insurance company. i was wondering if the option of fixing it my self would still be be considered?
in the past the insurance company would just pay part of the estiment minus the part of the estimated labor and call it good . i don't know being i have it fianced through a bank, if they even do that anymore?
any one know or is there anyone that sells insurance on here can tell me for sure? thanks for the help in advance.

****** links to pics on page 2 ************

Last edited:

edgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mmmmm i love clames....but claims no i havent hahahaha

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what's bad is this is my first claim ever and i've been driving since i was 16,now i'm 40:icon_confused: what did i do to deserve this?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
has anyone ever had to deal with the insurance company for dear damage when they had their truck fianced?

i hit a deer yesterday and reported it to my insurance company. i was wondering if the option of fixing it my self would still be be considered?
in the past the insurance company would just pay part of the estiment minus the part of the estimated labor and call it good . i don't know being i have it fianced through a bank, if they even do that anymore?
any one know or is there anyone that sells insurance on here can tell me for sure? thanks for the help in advance.
As far as I know you can have them write YOU the check and you don't have to LEGALLY get it fixed, DON'T LET THEM TELL YOU OTHERWISE.

I had a minor dent caused by a careless driver opening his door into mine ( i witnessed it ) and I got his insurance and the first thing his agent said was WHERE DO YOU WANT US TO GET IT FIXED/lmao and I said AHHH-NOOOOOOO just pay me and I will get it fixed my self ,thank you very much.

edgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you did nothing it was chuck norris getting back at the deer

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the body shop gave me an estimate of $1,802.60 and i can get everything from evilbay exept the hood hinges for $625.00 i found the hinges for $30.00 a pair and i can get a couple spray bombs for $12.00 a peice at my local auto parts.
this is new parts and maybe can do better than that at a pick and pull?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would check with your bank first before you fix it yourself... banks get pretty butthurt sometimes about stuff like that. They may see it as reducing the value of the vehicle, because it wasn't repaired by a shop.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Becarefull that the check doesnt end up in your name and the banks name. Hopefully a friend of mine will explain why.

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My only personal experience with this was getting hit by someone else...insurance co. totalled the car and gave me more than the book on the car and let me keep it. I drove it a few more months and then ditched it and put the money towards the ranger. Friend of mine was in your situation about a year ago, he got a few estimates from different shops and submitted them to insurance co. and they wrote him a check for almost 4,000, he fixed it himself for only a small fraction in parts.

Last edited:

slimchriz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The bank who financed you might require proof its fixed Ive never had them do it to me 4 claims so far...not including the theft that was totaled...

but the insurance company will probly try to insist the check be made out to a shop might posible do this because the bank requires them to ...not sure on that...

Randy M.

Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as I know you can have them write YOU the check and you don't have to LEGALLY get it fixed, DON'T LET THEM TELL YOU OTHERWISE.

I had a minor dent caused by a careless driver opening his door into mine ( i witnessed it ) and I got his insurance and the first thing his agent said was WHERE DO YOU WANT US TO GET IT FIXED/lmao and I said AHHH-NOOOOOOO just pay me and I will get it fixed my self ,thank you very much.
Before you start giving out advise like this, know that every states insurance laws are different. In your case, another driver is at fault and THEIR policy was paying or the damage. You are not under contract with them, so they can and should pay you direct. Unless ol' Bambi has an insurance policy, the damages will be paid under the COMP section of Grey Ghosts policy.

Grey Ghost

The normal is that if the vehicle is financed and has a lien on it, the insurance company has to write the check to the insured (you) and a repair shop, or the insured(you) and the lienholder (bank that you have the loan thru) The reason is the lienholder is also listed on the policy as an additional insured in order to protect their (leinholders) interest in the vehicle. Let's face it, the bank owns it until you make the last payment. If you were to default on the loan, and it would get repo'ed, the bank has a right to make a claim for damages to the vehicle under your policy. (Because they are listed as an additional insured). If the insurance company pays you for a covered loss, (your deer hit) and you don't fix it, and if it got repo'ed, the bank can STILL make a claim for the damages and the Insurance company, by law, would have to pay for the damages a second time.

I am not currently licenced in Pennsylvania, but I was up until 2005, and that was the way the law was at that time. Check with your agent.

Another thing to remember...if you fix it yourself, the Insurance company does not owe you the same labor rate as they would a shop. The reason is: You can not profit from an insurance claim, that is fraud. (insurance is to put you back to the same place you were before the loss, not in a better position than you were) They will usually pay labor at the same rate as YOUR hourly pay.

In most cases, your lienholder will hold the check until you bring it to them to verify that repairs have been made. They will then cash the check for you.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
since the estiment was for $1800.00 and i can get the parts for $650.00.
looking at my $500.00 deductable, i'm thinkin about just saying forget it and just doing the work myself

slimchriz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get friendly wit your local body man

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
talked to my adjuster today and they gave me a check for $11037.50.
sadly the check is made out for me and the bank. don't get me wrong i'm not complaning but posting for general knolage for others. i have the option of fiving it myself which i'm going to do ..

{total for parts and misc for me to do myself is $347.90 i have everything ordered now }

now when i'm done all i have to do is go to my bank and give them the pictures that they requested and they will put that check twords my payoff since i didn't use it for repairs they just won't cash it for my pocket it has to be used for the truck.

{this is for others to learn by} banks have the fianil sayso if fiananced}

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals