• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Insuring a heated garage

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Waste oil heaters make so much sense in Automotive garages but they are a lot of trouble and hard to keep running.
Yes they are. At my last job the one year we spent so much money on service calls for our two waste oil burners that even though we had 5000 gallons of on-site storage for oil, that we got paid to take out of customers' cars, it still would have been cheaper for us to just pay the gas bill for the 6 Modines in the shop.

I agree waste oil heaters are a pain to keep up but they do kick out the heat quickly on a cold morning. Basically a oil furnace with three times the controls. One thing to keep in mind is you can rig up some ducting to bring combustion air from outside into the fire box. That way your not putting a neg pressure in the heated space where its pulling cold air in through the cracks. You can also add a heat exchanger in the flue with a fan but then again you need to keep the heat exchanger clean on a regular basis just like a pellet stove.
I feel like you guys are way over-thinking the heat for my little two-bay shop.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I don't know if it is possible for you to do this, but figured I'd share. This little bad boy works GREAT. This is what I am using. Insurance knows about it, but was not concerned at all when I told them it was natural gas.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know if it is possible for you to do this, but figured I'd share. This little bad boy works GREAT. This is what I am using. Insurance knows about it, but was not concerned at all when I told them it was natural gas.

Yea I installed a bunch of those gas space heaters probably the most effecient and easiest to maintain for a fossil fuel heater. A wood stove takes forever but the cheapest to install. They are putting out some nice pellet stoves they kick out the heat rather quickly also.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wish I had natural gas to hook up to.

It is half a mile away and I doubt it will ever go down my road.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well I got this all situated now. Guy who sells insurance for a government food growing business rammed it through.

He said the big issue with wood and coal stoves is that any solid fuel stove will hold the heat much longer than gas or liquid fuel, because they don't go out right away, and the concern is about the building being left unattended while it is still burning.

Gas isn't an option for me. With no other existing gas appliances on the property, and no public hook up in this town, install would be prohibitively expensive right now.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have to know what you are doing with wood too, it isn't just set it at 70* and get to wrenching.

I can understand why it spooks them.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You have to know what you are doing with wood too, it isn't just set it at 70* and get to wrenching.

I can understand why it spooks them.
Too true. I honestly don't even plan to use it that much. My kerosene units, which my old insurance company was not happy about either, along with my cutting torch, are good enough for most of the winter. But my garage is drafty and they can't keep up once the temps dip into the teens, especially after dark.

The only reason I went with wood, over something a little more controllable is that I already had the stove, and heat the house with wood, so I have the wood, and didn't have a ton of money to throw at this.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Yeah.... in my younger years, I did a clutch with a kerosene heater in an improperly ventilated garage. I started feeling nutty.... Good thing I had enough sense and strength to get up and open the door.

I do believe there is a propane version of the Cayenne heaters as well. Mine was already in the garage when I moved in. It was definitely a selling point for me, lol.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah.... in my younger years, I did a clutch with a kerosene heater in an improperly ventilated garage. I started feeling nutty.... Good thing I had enough sense and strength to get up and open the door.

I do believe there is a propane version of the Cayenne heaters as well. Mine was already in the garage when I moved in. It was definitely a selling point for me, lol.
Yeah, usually you can convert one to the other.

My propane bill is scary enough as it is without me trying to heat my shack of a garage.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

In a few years I want to try installing a mini-split, hoping that it will be a selling point for someone.

I plan to live here for maybe another 10 years. The house itself is nice, but the yard is a bit small, and I hate, and I do mean HATE, this neighborhood. It's loud, obnoxious, and most of the people here are just this side of white trash.

I probably won't be able to get a permit to build a garage the size I want on this lot, but when I finally get to build my garage I will probably go with waste oil.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Waste oil is OK if you have a big shop and a source for oil. The tank and heater take up a LOT of floor space.

I'd hate to rely on propane - I heated my old trailer house with it years ago and a $500 tank fill really hurts.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Waste oil is OK if you have a big shop and a source for oil. The tank and heater take up a LOT of floor space.

I'd hate to rely on propane - I heated my old trailer house with it years ago and a $500 tank fill really hurts.
Well my next shop I intend to have at least an RV garage, something I can get between 4 and 6 cars in, and I do have a source for oil. Several in fact. Heck, I'll have my wife start telling her co-workers that if they bring me oil/filter I'll change their oil for free.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if they bring me oil/filter I'll change their oil for free.
You might want to do a cost/benefit analysis on that. If it's something you would do anyway, good on you.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know every year we cuss the waste oil furnace at work.

PITA to get ready. They are wanting to trash it and go radiant in addition to the gas hanging furnace.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Radiant tube infrared are tried and proven way of heating shops garages warehouses even outdoor areas because infrared Heats objects better than it heats space. Many years ago when my business was larger we did a number of Maaco auto body shops with infrared they loved it.

There are two kinds of infrared heating the kind will you see a glowing element made of ceramic or the most. The last comment or the tube type I think they're made by a company called Co Ray vac I'll look it up.

http://www.robertsgordon.com/

Waste oil can be fun! not!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals