• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

interesting article about HID's

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah its pretty interesting but for the most part the arguments I have seen were about vehicles that were not designed at all to be receptive to HID's. Any non clear halogen housing like the 89 - 00 rangers don't have the little cap like the 01+ rangers and thus making them blinding.

b411sac

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
see, when i look around everyone just automatically say no to hids in any reflector housings, but this article definitely makes some interesting points that i tend to agree with.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well people that put HID's in normally don't have the housing they talk about because the housing they talk about already put out a decent amount of light vs the no clear/diamond cut whatever housing that people need to put HID's in that are bright as F**K.

03Fx4MN

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't want to get HID cause I don't like the projector housings. Now knowing this info I know what my next upgrade is.:D

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah its pretty interesting but for the most part the arguments I have seen were about vehicles that were not designed at all to be receptive to HID's. Any non clear halogen housing like the 89 - 00 rangers don't have the little cap like the 01+ rangers and thus making them blinding.
I tend to agree with this. There are plenty of people who have HIDs in housings like the ones stated above that blind the crap out of everyone. The article does make interesting points though. I myself have kicked around the idea of going with HID but decided I didnt want to deal with all the issues that come with the subject. Personally, I would be more inclined to believe the article if it was from a third party, ie:someone not selling HIDs. Another issue is the legality. If I recall correctly, its not legal if the vehicle didnt come with HIDs from the factory. Will you get busted on it? Doubtful. Could it happen though? Yes. Here is another article from the other side of the argument.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
All headlight lenses are clear. Just some of them have fluted lenses like the '89-'00 trucks.

I do have to add though, that I do agree with the points made in the article. I do notice some of those retrofits aren't that bad. It's better though if you do a proper HID projector retrofit. Not one of those crappy aftermarket projector headlights. The majority of those have crappy beam patterns even for halogen. And it's not only about beam pattern, it's also about aim too. I've noticed some factory HID projectors glare really bad. I would not doubt that those are aimed properly. A properly aimed projector should not glare to the point where you are blinded. I understand that there maybe some slight glare but not to the point where you have to close your eyes or shield your eyes because of the amount of light.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I tend to agree with this. There are plenty of people who have HIDs in housings like the ones stated above that blind the crap out of everyone. The article does make interesting points though. I myself have kicked around the idea of going with HID but decided I didnt want to deal with all the issues that come with the subject. Personally, I would be more inclined to believe the article if it was from a third party, ie:someone not selling HIDs. Another issue is the legality. If I recall correctly, its not legal if the vehicle didnt come with HIDs from the factory. Will you get busted on it? Doubtful. Could it happen though? Yes. Here is another article from the other side of the argument.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
The legallity is really a state law issue though, I know in Alaska they have practically no light laws. You can have HID's in any car and its not color restricted either, you can have as many front or rear facing auxilary lights as you want as well.

I think I'm going to find a set of diamond cut clear lensed lights and get some HID's for my truck.

b411sac

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Something most people forget to do after they get HID's is to properly aim them. They just slap them in, and call it a day. In a diamond cut housing properly aimed, there should be little to no glare, definitely no where near as bad as in a fluted glass housing, and not as bad as a diamond cut housing aimed for normal halogen bulbs.
I have a set of diamond cut housings on the way for my gen 3, and a set of 5k 35w HID's sitting in my room, I refuse to put them in my fluted glass housings. After I get the new headlights I will post head on pictures of them in the fluted glass housings (only putting them in for the picture) :bad: , the diamond cut improperly aimed :bad: , and the diamond cut properly aimed :icon_thumby: , so the difference in glare can be seen.
I should get the housings early next week. :icon_cheers:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One other thing to be aware of, regarding the legality issue (and it's relative to federal DOT regulations, not state lighting laws):

Although most decent cops won't give you any trouble if your lights are properly aimed and setup to work effectively, there is a different risk. If you are involved in an accident (probably has to be after dark), even if the other guy actually caused the accident, his insurance company can refuse to pay your claim because technically you're not operating the vehicle in a legal manner. And your insurance company can refuse your claim as well, for the same reason. It just depends on how much of a jerk the insurance companies want to be. But they do have that option, and in the case of your own insurance, you already agreed to operate your vehicle in accordance with all local, state, and federal laws, when you agreed to your insurance policy/contract.

I don't mind HID's, as long as the system is set up correctly. When they're properly adjusted, they tend to put more light on the road, and less light into oncoming drivers' eyes. I don't think that funny HID colors like blue and purple are appropriate or effective, and I've seen lots of crappy HID installs that put the light pattern far too high and are dangerous. The only drawback, really, is the legal issue. And there's enough knuckleheads out there trying to make their car look "cool" without knowing how to do a proper job, that I think there's a need for the legal restrictions.

Spott

b411sac

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So as promised I have pictures of before and after.
Halogen fogs and headlights with stock headlight housings

HID headlights and HID fogs in Diamond cut housings

Headlights and fogs are HIDS the driving lights are halogen

And a pictures up close of the the new headlight lit up.

The HID headlights are 5000K 35W 9007's from ddmtuning.com
which are a lot less blue then the picture shows, only the SLIGHTEST hint of blue.
and the HID fogs are 3200K 35W H3's from ddmtuning.com
which are very yellow, I had them light up a patch of snow and my buddy said they "look like someone who had been drinking nothing but beer for 6 months pissed there."

Last edited:

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
The question I have is how many people install HID's because it's cool looking or want to be like others? I still fail to see the $$ advantage to them. I have installed clear housings in both trucks but are running Hella Xenon lights and they are more than powerful enough to see in any conditions.

Add to the fact most "custom" kits look like crap and the headlights are aimed completely wrong blinding the oncoming traffic, plus you can't go into the typical parts store and buy replacements.

b411sac

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I suppose it's a personal preference thing, and in my case the HID's were cheaper or equal to high end halogen bulbs, $40-$60. and for the intelligent folk out there, we know how to re-aim headlights so as to not blind anyone. as you can see the HID's have the same amount of glare as the Halogen's.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The question I have is how many people install HID's because it's cool looking or want to be like others? I still fail to see the $$ advantage to them.
The light output compared to any aftermarket traditional bulb is much greater... and when driving it adverse conditons, or in roads that are closely crowded by tree's and populated by animals they add a degree of safety..... Sure you could drive 30k slower, but :thefinger: that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals