• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

is a stock 2.3l worth 4X4

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is a stock 2,3l worth installing 4wheel drive. if not how much HP would be needed to be worth it

dvsj67

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
HP is simply a mathematical equation - the real question is do you believe your 2.3L is worth 4 wheel drive..

I loved my 2.3L had all sorts of fun.. and it was only stock 2... 1 wheel drive

Consider that purchasing a 4 wheel drive ranger may be more economical and may increase your desire to modify it.

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In short, no, it is not worth it. There is sooooo much work involved in building a 4wd. You will probably even save money buying a 4wd Ranger as opposed to building one.

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking about swaping buying somthing that was 4X4 and swaping the frames out. Wasn't going to build one.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
If thats what u want DO IT!

I think it would be like a toyota .I had all kinds of people tell me I could'nt put the SWB Ranger body on a FS Bronco chassis.Its my avatar pic and its FUN!:icon_welder: If that 4 to 5 $ a gallon gas is true you'll be glad you did!

Last edited:

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
Do a 4x4 turbo 2.3 build, and fun is guaranteed, but 2.3 4x4s are becoming rare as pope shit nowadays.

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
actually I was thinkin about a cj frame with the body of a Renault Allaince

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
you could do a frame swap and make it work well , the main issue you'll run into is finding a 4 cyl 4x4 5 speed transmission or swaping the output shaft from a v6 4x4 tranny over to a 4cyl 2wd tranny , 4cyl 4x4 units where and still are rare but they do come up for sale every once and a while , all the other parts should work good togather , a 2.3 should have enough power to propell the truck down the road , you just need to keep in mind that you'll get around the same performance maybe a little worse with hauling the extra weight around ( aka transfer case , front axle and drive shaft) , as a 2.3l 2wd ranger

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
if you enjoy fuel economy, and not getting stuck then yes its worth it. just keep the revs up and gear it properly.

samurais are popular for a reason and i dont think its because they look good.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
TC

actually I was thinkin about a cj frame with the body of a Renault Allaince
Run a divorced TC get a 2.3 or 2.5 and run a MustangT5!:icon_welder:

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a 2.3 in my 87 4x4 5speed (almost done with a 5.0 5speed swap now) and it was a pig until i went from factory 3.55 to 3.73 gears. Got a 5inch lift and some 30's and it was a dog again so found 4.10 geared d28 and 7.5 (had lockers front and rear) not to bad around town then but i still did a lot of highway driving and some hills would have to bring it down to 3rd gear and let her scream just to maintain a decent speed.

Motor was a 92 mustang shortblock with a 86 4spark plug head, duraspark, efi lower intake with a 390cfm holley 2berrel, header, mustang roller cam, msd al6, glasspack and no cat.

My opinion is if you want to be different go for it, get the lowest set of gears available for your axles. Just don't expect to keep up with traffic. Oh and if you can start with a efi truck. Carbs don't like running on angles especially with a stick.

My friends could always tell where i was from the glasspack exhaust and hitting my 6k rev limiter. Music to my ears!

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok well Just found out I wont have as much taxes as I tought. mabey come sommer I have it save up thanks for the info. the thing I don't like about the samurais is they don't have a bed. Other then that I like them. also the girls I date love men that drive pickups. like that song goes "I've got an 8ft bed that never has to be made". I could get by with out it. all though the thought of the CJ frame with a renault alliance body I love. it would confuse the cops when they pull me over. I was told that the state of IN you have to use the title of the frame not the body.

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok well Just found out I wont have as much taxes as I tought. mabey come sommer I have it save up thanks for the info. the thing I don't like about the samurais is they don't have a bed. Other then that I like them. also the girls I date love men that drive pickups. like that song goes "I've got an 8ft bed that never has to be made". I could get by with out it. all though the thought of the CJ frame with a renault alliance body I love. it would confuse the cops when they pull me over. I was told that the state of IN you have to use the title of the frame not the body.
I'll met all my wifes in traffic jams.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
samurais do ok for power , considering they only have 63hp from the factory , you just need to down shift when going up hills , you most likely would also have to with a 4cyl 4x4 ranger , or really any fairly new 4cyl 4x4 vehicle , but once you have owned a 4cy 4x4 you get use to it , and just enjoy the ride

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks for the info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals