• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is Motorcraft Mercon V a good substitute for plain Mercon, can;t fine just Mercon for transmission?

markalmand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you sgtsandman, Just saw your reply, really appreciate quick response, this only makes since, I will continue with vacuum throught hose in flll spout till no more comes out. Tnanks again!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
So it is a good idea to get as much of the old trans. fluid out that you can before refilling with fresh Dexlll/Mercon after filter change?
Yes. No point in putting a fresh filter in there until you get the majority of the old fluid out or you'll possibly contaminate the new filter.

markalmand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
After I change my rear axle fluid in "94" Ranger automatic is there a break in period on the new Lucas 80- 90 gear oil, or can I start pulling my trailer right away? Asking for a friend,,, And is friction modifier needed, and what brand?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
After I change my rear axle fluid in "94" Ranger automatic is there a break in period on the new Lucas 80- 90 gear oil, or can I start pulling my trailer right away? Asking for a friend,,, And is friction modifier needed, and what brand?
No break in period and you only need friction modifier if you have limited slip. I use Motorcraft as a first choice and the nasty smelling Ford Performance stuff in the Auburn Pro in my Mustang and the Aggressive Yukon unit in my truck. I stinks awful and isn't environmentally friendly but it works great.

markalmand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I was under the impression all 8.8 transaxles were limited slip, all rangers with the 4.0l have the 8.8 transaxle, reguardless of body style, extended or regular cab.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To the OP I found some Pennzoil today at the local "CORN" free station, they also do a fair size oil business, and supply a lot of large farms and ranches around the area.

It's Pennzoil I'll let the labels do the speaking. I went ahead and grabbed enough (@ just over $5 QT) to do my transmission but didn't even think about the transfer case, maybe soon

Attachments

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How can you not find it? Walmart and every parts store sells Mercon rated ATF.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How can you not find it? Walmart and every parts store sells Mercon rated ATF.
They stay out of it too often. I wasn't certain the differences and running out of time got the only two they had there, at $10 each.
Put them in and all too soon learned it was one I certainly did Not want, for the damage it would do.

There's also one other thing about WM, don't expect any answers from their employees to be accurate

Yesterday I stopped at a store I rarely visit and got exactly what I needed, at half the price :)

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They stay out of it too often. I wasn't certain the differences and running out of time got the only two they had there, at $10 each.
Put them in and all too soon learned it was one I certainly did Not want, for the damage it would do.

There's also one other thing about WM, don't expect any answers from their employees to be accurate

Yesterday I stopped at a store I rarely visit and got exactly what I needed, at half the price :)
Why would you need to ask the Walmart employees anything? Go get it off of the shelf and checkout.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
WM workers are intentionally not trained on the products they sell, they are simply there to keep the shelves stocked and sell as much as possible. Thats the WM business model. So best to educate yourself on the details of the product before going into the store.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why would you need to ask the Walmart employees anything? Go get it off of the shelf and checkout.
at times I get the notion they might actually have some clue as to when they might get something on the shelf ;)

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
I would like to update this thread with a note that I have since switched from ATF to synchromesh in my M5 and have seen a large improvement to shift quality.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you done any write-ups on it or do you know of any good ones? The one I let my cousin do is not shifting well :/

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
To change the fluid? On the side of the trans is a plug labeled "drain" and a few inches above that is one labeled "fill"... I've been running whatever cheap ATF was available in my transmissions for years and they shift fine but not saying that will work for everyone...

To fill either pull the shift boot and shifter and fill it from the top or take a gear oil jug that's empty and refill with ATF and use a short piece of 3/8" clear nylon hose on the snout and fill that way...

bcschief

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mercon V is full synthetic Mercon and is backwards compatible with Mercon, and the old Ford type CJ. When full synthetic Mercon came out it was labeled as such, at some point Ford started labeling it as MerconV. Ford type F and Mercon LV and SP are different.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals