• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is your A4LD/4.0 combo like this?

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Last August, I blew up my Explorer's transmission when I was out four-wheeling. I overheated it and heard a loud pop. After getting unstuck from my position, I noticed that the truck was leaking boiling tranny fluid pretty fast. I lost all the fluid in about 2 or 3 minutes. I collected some in the bottom of an energy drink can and found it was blackened and burnt smelling.

So I parked the truck for a while and finally looked at it yesterday. All the fluid came out between the engine and tranny. there's a gaskety, metal looking thing between the two. my question is, should it be seperated at the bottom? mine is, and that's where all the fluid leaked out. but the edges are rounded and don't look broken, and theres an indentation in the block that looks like it's been seperated for a while. Are other A4LD/4.0 combos like this?

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I am not a transmission guy take that in to account before listening to me =>. I almost always just replace them.

The gaskety thing there isn't a gasket its a dust cover really. Chances are you blew the front seal after overheating it and eating off all the clutch material due to the fact it was boiling the oil at the time.

It may even be fine but my take is this: Did you want to take off and replace the front seal put it back and then find out what else is wrong with it?

I would just find another. Since you have to take it off anyways to replace the front seal and you can't be sure of the condition of the clutches until you refill it with fluid which will all just leak out again since you blew the front seal.

The amount of effort (and money) involved of working on the tranny I find its just easier and more cost effective to find another working tranny.

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ultimately, that's what i'd like to do, is just completely replace it. I've actually got an ad in classified here offering to trade $600 worth of perry's fab'n'fiber fiberglass for a good condition a4ld.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals