• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

issue with 4 low

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey all... i searched for my 4wd not engaging and i fixed that issue... i took my shift motor apart cleaned up the brush contacts and re-greased the worm gear and the end of the motor shaft re-assembled it and the truck shifts in to 4HI now...

but it wont go into 4 LO... it just clicks a few times and it dis-engages 4wd all together.

i went outside just a minute ago to double check to make sure im doing everything correctly...

transmission is in neutral and i have the brake on and even the parking brake.

i havent been doing my tests with the truck running because i assume sinse its just going off of position of the tranny and the gear shift i wouldnt assume it needs to be running...

i also put the tranny into gear and hit the 4 LO button and it just blinks... i am assuming its looking for the tranny to be in neutral and when i put the tranny into neutral with my foot on the brake, it does its normal thing of clicking and then just dis-engages 4wd all together...

anyone have any ideas? i was thinking maybe that sensor thats wired into the motor... only thing ive come accross is the transmission range selector sensor...

but that search only nets the part thats attached to the tranny not the small push in sensor thats wired in with the shift motor.

thank you for any and all help.

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
shoot... just saw i put this in the wrong section... if a mod could move it that would be great

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
update on the truck... just checked 4wd... a few county trucks did some work at the end of my street and tore up the grass so it was all nice sugar sand... so i power braked it in the sand to make sure i was stuck in 2wd.... shifted into 4wd... so i know the transfer case etc is doing its job....

anyone have any ideas on what could cause hitting the 4low button to turn off the system?

1RangerNut

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I know it's an older thread but if you haven't figured it out yet try tapping the brakes not just holding them and if that don't work find the 4wd computer take it apart but try not to touch the circuit board and clean the connector with a scotch brit pad.

If your truck is an extended cab it's behind the drivers side jump seat.

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
when i first got the truck... there was a loose panel behind that jump seat and i removed it and i havent seen a controller back there

1RangerNut

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Mine's a couple of years newer so maybe they are different.

This is what it looks like.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals