• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

It was a warm and sunny day...

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The sky was blue, the birds were chirping, the girls were happily bouncing along on the sidewalk and all of a sudden KAAAATHUNK! BANG WOP WOP WOP SCRAPE

Has anyone ever had a caliper spit a pad? These are Monroe premium pads plenty of material on them. 87 Ranger

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Wow! Nice pic. Are the caliper slides working at all? I can't, off the top of my head think of what else would cause a pad to be spit out of the caliper.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The caliper is fine and not seized at all. it looks to me like the stops on the pad are the problem. Luckily I was changing the lower ball joint and had new rotors & pads in stock anyways.

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
The caliper is fine and not seized at all. it looks to me like the stops on the pad are the problem. Luckily I was changing the lower ball joint and had new rotors & pads in stock anyways.
you are lucky, i had one spit all the way out on a 72 torino at 85mph. ruptured the piston seal and wa-la, no brakes, had to use e-brake to stop after torturing tranny into low gear:pray:

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah first you say SH*T and then you do

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
HA!

Monroe premium pads! What a thought. Yeah those parts are crap. They are sold with a lifetime warrantee on the parts so that the shop can charge you for the labor everytime they fail. Get some new parts. Anything is better than those.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think there is a problem that is not the pads.

If there were a lot of extra space in there it's because piston wasn't staying out to take up the clearance. The piston was retracting back in the bore. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the mastercylinder. Maybe something is blocking a check valve. Or the rotor is so warped that it pushes the piston back in and an end of the pad managed to get out and was pulled around. I would overhaul the master cylinder and calipers and flush the lines. That definately isn't bad pads. I've never seen that in 25 years of messing with cars.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah it's the pads, the SS backing has plenty of rust behind it just about eliminating the raised part that fits into the caliper. If the piston had to travel that far or if the rotor was that warped I would have felt both through the brake pedal, besides the pad divorced the caliper under braking.Just the same I have a few NOS cylinders, boosters etc so they will be installed anyways.
I do like the performance of the pads though, good stopping and very quiet.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
never seen that happen either, but my Tempo dropped a shoe off the back brakes and that was a real PITA...the shoe worked it's way out from behind the backing plate and dumped spare parts all over the highway...

Fortunately, the back plate went back in place and I just had to install new shoes...but they can be rather loud and annoying when they fly apart like that...

could have been a number of things going on there though...I'd check the caliper closely for any damage...even though they're fairly solid there are weak points on them and if it doesn't happen again then maybe it was just the backing on the pad...hopefully!

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think there is a problem that is not the pads.

If there were a lot of extra space in there it's because piston wasn't staying out to take up the clearance. The piston was retracting back in the bore. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the mastercylinder. Maybe something is blocking a check valve. Or the rotor is so warped that it pushes the piston back in and an end of the pad managed to get out and was pulled around. I would overhaul the master cylinder and calipers and flush the lines. That definately isn't bad pads. I've never seen that in 25 years of messing with cars.
I had the same thought, but if you look closely at the pad, the upper "tab" that holds it in place is broken. I don't see how a retracting piston can do that.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had one spit out before driver front, mine was caused by a loose wheel bearing when it would wobble back and forth it spit it out did new bearings and such and all was good from there

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals