• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Junkyard haul! TK trans!

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Found what I was looking for at the junkyard this weekend. A Tk 5 speed trans out of an 84 ranger. Don't know the mileage because the cluster was gone, but it seems to be in decent shape except the input shaft has a little wiggle in it. I'm trying to source a new bearing. Anybody know of a distributor that has them? I can probably get a number off the bearing when I get it torn down, but it helps to know where to buy them. :D

I did find a good buy on a rebuild kit at Drivetrain.com, which I may consider, but I don't know mow much money I really want to put into this thing.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I wish I could find a decent priced JY TK5 tranny for 4wd, mine is a TK4, not that mine ever needs a 5th gear due to it being driven in town.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just how rare is a 4x4 TK5? Everyone seems to want one. I have a 2x4 TK5 AND a 4x4 TK5. About to put in a FM145 while I rebuild the TK5. What's the difference between the two?

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure if or how rare they are, but I've been looking for about 3 months now and the only thing I ever find is Mitsubishi's. From what I've read I pretty well decided the Mitsu just wasn't worth rebuilding or paying money for one from a junkyard just to find out it needs a rebuild too. They have problems with 5th gear, and they apparently like to chew through main shaft bearings like bubble gum due to the overall design of the transmission.

What I've read about the TKs puts them in the same realm as the Mazda M5R1. They don't generally have problems unless they've been abused.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think there is a driveshaft length difference if you switch an FM145 with a TK tranny. Mine doesnt see highway driving or high speeds at that so I actually have no need for a 5 speed tranny.

My dad does 40mph in 5th gear with his truck.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't think about possible driveshaft issues. I'll have to crawl under there and measure the FM tomorrow and compare it with the TK. Both front and rear shafts are two piece (telescoping) so if it's within 1/4" or so it should be fine.

John Smith

Reaction score
i think the

TK and the FM145 may be close to the same....it is the fm146 and m50 that are longer i believe.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 145 and the TK are the same lengths

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the 145 and the TK are the same lengths
I was thinking that from a first glance perspective. I stuck my head under the truck today and took a good look at the 145 and it looks pretty darn close. I meant to get a measure tape out and measure bell housing to transfer case length but got sidetracked by an ignition switch that literally fell apart. :icon_confused: It just broke, and the whole lower contact plate fell off. $14 and about 20 minutes to fix that one. :icon_thumby:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
My 84 BII was graced with a TK5 when she was built, so the only "upgade" that I could do would be if/when the TK quits, swap in the M5 sitting in the shed. Until THAT time, though, I will enjoy beating on the old TK, now fortified with A/A V8 plate to connect to the 331 that is going in soon.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I saw an FM-145 on a Ranger with a 2.8 in a JY I got to but the 4th gear was out of it, or when I was doing my engine swap it would have been put in my truck.

This info. is very helpful.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Found the bearing at, of all places, Rockauto.com by simply googling the Ford part number listed in the exploded view diagram here in the tech section. $37 + shipping. Now I just have to make sure that is in fact the "bad" bearing before I go ordering it.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got it opened up today and got the PN off the input shaft bearing (which has a fair of play), and measured the input shaft seal, which I don't think needs replacement, but I may do it anyway. Nobody listed an input seal for the TK, but I found a few that should work that are listed for the Mazda trans.

In case anyone wants to know.
Part numbers for the input shaft bearing and who makes it.
Ford Part number: E69Z7025A
OE part (what's in my particular transmission at least) is NSK 6307N.
SKF 6307NRJ
National Ball Bearing 307L

The front seal appears to be SKF 10661 based on the measured dimensions. This appears to be the same as National Ball Bearing 1990.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the thing apart so I can replace the bearing. I was kinda hoping I could just pull it out but I think the input shaft has to come out the back of the trans in order for the bearing to be pressed out, which means disassembling the entire thing. Anybody know?

:icon_rofl: I forgot there was a transmission forum here. :icon_idea:

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bearing crosses to John Deere JD9258 for $44.99. Would more than likely be a very high quality Japanese Koyo bearing, better and usually cheaper than anything available than anything from a parts store (usually an imported National) None of my local dealerships stock it

The seal numbers doesn't cross, they have a dimension lookup thing if you are interested.

Sorry, couldn't turn down a challenge. :D

John Deere's Parts checker (select non JD number to cross, have to make a free account to see pricing and availablity)
https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.publicservlets.HomeUnsigned?country=US

If I am reading this right, the Mitsubishi and TK transmixers have different lengths:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals