• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just a curiosity question

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
All great ideas.

I dont know i probably wont ever do it. I just remembered that some guys here in the day did the "sherrod" conversion which i thought was making the top removable. Maybe i remembered wrong though.

Either way ive had an itch for a while to buy a trail toy (that i can still run up and down the road) for a while now. Should pry finish up other stuff first though...wife would divorce me if i drag more home.....

But then again thats what the old house is for :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All great ideas.

I dont know i probably wont ever do it. I just remembered that some guys here in the day did the "sherrod" conversion which i thought was making the top removable. Maybe i remembered wrong though.

Either way ive had an itch for a while to buy a trail toy (that i can still run up and down the road) for a while now. Should pry finish up other stuff first though...wife would divorce me if i drag more home.....

But then again thats what the old house is for :)
I think @lil_Blue_Ford actually has that truck.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think @lil_Blue_Ford actually has that truck.
Ok, so let me explain a few things…

My 89 Choptop B2 I bought from the kid that chopped the top originally. Rusty may remember Sherrodwannabeb2, aka Farva from back in the early 2000s on here. Punk kid that claimed he had nitrous and all sorts of stuff done to it and claimed he could do 5 minute burnouts and stuff with it. The only things that weren’t stock on the truck was something like 28 aftermarket lights, most didn’t work and the wiring job was beyond disaster. I spent a lot of time ripping that mess out because he would catch whatever hot wires he came across and it caused a lot of issues. He did a real hack of a chop (I think if one could be careful and precise with the cuts, it would be possible to cut and re-use the top). I cleaned up the chop a little and I scrapped an 86 that I cut the top off of with the intent of building a hard top. I also scrapped a rotted out 89 Ranger bed that I cut the bed rails and tail light corners off of.

Between life and vehicle problems and such, I haven’t got to making the hard top. I’m not quite sure how I want to make the interface behind the front seats for sealing up a hard top yet and it’s going to require cutting part of the B-pillar and reinforcing. I want to graft in the Ranger bed parts then for the part of the top that will go on there, I’ll just weld something on the top and clamp it down like a truck cap to the bed rails with cap tape.

The body did start sagging and I ended up buying a roll cage from Jegs for a Ranger. It’s partially in, I was trying not to cut my dash but that lands the front bars in an awkward location to climb in and out. The cage was cheaper than I could buy the steel though. I ended up buying a tube bender and dies to be able to bend up the back pieces that I need and bought the steel, but once again, I haven’t got it done yet. The cage around the front seats did help stiffen the cab though.

I have a buddy that does boat canvas, at some point after I get the cage done, he’s going to make a soft top for me. Hopefully that will all happen this year.

I did pin the front doors (although I want to try building something different that will make it easier to install/remove doors), so I can take the doors off. Also on the list is making tube doors and half doors.

It was road legal in PA up until they changed the law so that now anything with a modified body has to have special title, registration, and inspections. Ohio doesn’t care and I’m not sure how much PA will care once I get things cleaned up enough to appear factory-ish.

Anything beyond a 2-3” lift and you’ll want wide tires. I have 5” of suspension and a 2” body lift on it and run 35x12.5-15 tires. When I had a 3” suspension and 2” body and was running 33x12.5-15 tires I decided I was gonna try wearing out a set of 31x10.5-15 tires I had. I made it to the end of the street before going back for the 33s. Just waaay more stable.

The thing is stupid capable in 2wd with a locker or a limited slip with extra clutches. I’ve amazed myself where it will go like that. Even a stock B2 is more capable than most people realize. It’s the same wheelbase as the CJ/YJ/TJ Jeeps, just a little longer body and TTB instead of straight axle.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Ok, so let me explain a few things…

My 89 Choptop B2 I bought from the kid that chopped the top originally. Rusty may remember Sherrodwannabeb2, aka Farva from back in the early 2000s on here. Punk kid that claimed he had nitrous and all sorts of stuff done to it and claimed he could do 5 minute burnouts and stuff with it. The only things that weren’t stock on the truck was something like 28 aftermarket lights, most didn’t work and the wiring job was beyond disaster. I spent a lot of time ripping that mess out because he would catch whatever hot wires he came across and it caused a lot of issues. He did a real hack of a chop (I think if one could be careful and precise with the cuts, it would be possible to cut and re-use the top). I cleaned up the chop a little and I scrapped an 86 that I cut the top off of with the intent of building a hard top. I also scrapped a rotted out 89 Ranger bed that I cut the bed rails and tail light corners off of.

Between life and vehicle problems and such, I haven’t got to making the hard top. I’m not quite sure how I want to make the interface behind the front seats for sealing up a hard top yet and it’s going to require cutting part of the B-pillar and reinforcing. I want to graft in the Ranger bed parts then for the part of the top that will go on there, I’ll just weld something on the top and clamp it down like a truck cap to the bed rails with cap tape.

The body did start sagging and I ended up buying a roll cage from Jegs for a Ranger. It’s partially in, I was trying not to cut my dash but that lands the front bars in an awkward location to climb in and out. The cage was cheaper than I could buy the steel though. I ended up buying a tube bender and dies to be able to bend up the back pieces that I need and bought the steel, but once again, I haven’t got it done yet. The cage around the front seats did help stiffen the cab though.

I have a buddy that does boat canvas, at some point after I get the cage done, he’s going to make a soft top for me. Hopefully that will all happen this year.

I did pin the front doors (although I want to try building something different that will make it easier to install/remove doors), so I can take the doors off. Also on the list is making tube doors and half doors.

It was road legal in PA up until they changed the law so that now anything with a modified body has to have special title, registration, and inspections. Ohio doesn’t care and I’m not sure how much PA will care once I get things cleaned up enough to appear factory-ish.

Anything beyond a 2-3” lift and you’ll want wide tires. I have 5” of suspension and a 2” body lift on it and run 35x12.5-15 tires. When I had a 3” suspension and 2” body and was running 33x12.5-15 tires I decided I was gonna try wearing out a set of 31x10.5-15 tires I had. I made it to the end of the street before going back for the 33s. Just waaay more stable.

The thing is stupid capable in 2wd with a locker or a limited slip with extra clutches. I’ve amazed myself where it will go like that. Even a stock B2 is more capable than most people realize. It’s the same wheelbase as the CJ/YJ/TJ Jeeps, just a little longer body and TTB instead of straight axle.
I remember that guy. I used to talk to him on MSN messenger back in the day. I always got the feeling he was...um...eccentric. Couldnt imagine what hed be like in person.

Anyways...i wouldnt want near that much lift on a BII...maybe 3-4 inch. Probably 33's. Athough id like to keep the drivetrain as stock as possible just for reliability...and im not sure how happy a 2.9 would be with 33's

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I remember that guy. I used to talk to him on MSN messenger back in the day. I always got the feeling he was...um...eccentric. Couldnt imagine what hed be like in person.

Anyways...i wouldnt want near that much lift on a BII...maybe 3-4 inch. Probably 33's. Athough id like to keep the drivetrain as stock as possible just for reliability...and im not sure how happy a 2.9 would be with 33's
Lol, he was something else. When I went out to get it he said it was in his dad’s name but if I gave him some money he could get some beer cheap for me while I went with his dad to do the title transfer. Never saw him again after I handed him a few bucks, gave the rest of the agreed on money to his dad. So I really didn’t get to know him in person, but the little bit I did, yeah, you’re not wrong.

Mine just kept growing. I started with a 2” lift and 4x4 conversion, then I scored a deal on a James Duff 3” lift, then the body mounts were bad and the bolts seized so I bought new poly mounts and a 2” body lift so I had new hardware (the body lift ended up being cheaper than just buying the bolts I needed), then when I put the D-35 in the front it got the F-150 spring perches and Belltech shackles for roughly 5” of suspension lift. Started on 31’s, the 3” suspension and 2” body cleared 33’s (4” suspension would probably clear 33’s on a second gen like the Choptop is, a first gen would probably require a fender trim and/or more lift, the 5” suspension and 2” body lift clears 35’s with no trim). Extended arms are needed for more than 2” of suspension lift and that’s even a close thing.

The 2.9 and FM-146 with 4.10s did ok for 33’s, but it really wanted a little more go or deeper gears. I gave up on the D-28 after blowing apart the shafts three times. Of course, then I went to a D-35 and promptly blew a shaft, but I think I found the problem that caused the D-35 to blow so I’ll resolve that, it’s a lift bracket issue. The 2.9 was no good on 35’s, first though third it pulled like a champ and 4th it would fall flat on its face. 4.0 resolved that but it really would be happier with a touch more go or deeper gears. I mostly built it on a shoestring budget over many years. Gets a lot of attention and is a very fun toy.

186C490D-205B-47B9-860F-D340FAF8EBA7.jpeg

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Lol, he was something else. When I went out to get it he said it was in his dad’s name but if I gave him some money he could get some beer cheap for me while I went with his dad to do the title transfer. Never saw him again after I handed him a few bucks, gave the rest of the agreed on money to his dad. So I really didn’t get to know him in person, but the little bit I did, yeah, you’re not wrong.

Mine just kept growing. I started with a 2” lift and 4x4 conversion, then I scored a deal on a James Duff 3” lift, then the body mounts were bad and the bolts seized so I bought new poly mounts and a 2” body lift so I had new hardware (the body lift ended up being cheaper than just buying the bolts I needed), then when I put the D-35 in the front it got the F-150 spring perches and Belltech shackles for roughly 5” of suspension lift. Started on 31’s, the 3” suspension and 2” body cleared 33’s (4” suspension would probably clear 33’s on a second gen like the Choptop is, a first gen would probably require a fender trim and/or more lift, the 5” suspension and 2” body lift clears 35’s with no trim). Extended arms are needed for more than 2” of suspension lift and that’s even a close thing.

The 2.9 and FM-146 with 4.10s did ok for 33’s, but it really wanted a little more go or deeper gears. I gave up on the D-28 after blowing apart the shafts three times. Of course, then I went to a D-35 and promptly blew a shaft, but I think I found the problem that caused the D-35 to blow so I’ll resolve that, it’s a lift bracket issue. The 2.9 was no good on 35’s, first though third it pulled like a champ and 4th it would fall flat on its face. 4.0 resolved that but it really would be happier with a touch more go or deeper gears. I mostly built it on a shoestring budget over many years. Gets a lot of attention and is a very fun toy.

View attachment 104784
That thing looks sharp.

If i do this though itll pry be a 1st gen for me...i just prefer the interiors better.

If i did a 4.0 id never live it down around here.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You already bought a newer vehicle (a Jeep no less) with all those options you said you’d never want. You might as well go all out and take that final leap.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You already bought a newer vehicle (a Jeep no less) with all those options you said you’d never want. You might as well go all out and take that final leap.
Bad influence.

I hit my quota for the decade

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That thing looks sharp.

If i do this though itll pry be a 1st gen for me...i just prefer the interiors better.

Thank you, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had people tell me they love the Choptop. Makes it fun to drive around in addition to just being fun to drive.

First gen you really just need to be willing to trim the front fenders a little, second gen had a little bigger wheel opening. I do agree on liking first gen better even though I only have one first gen and two second. I did accumulate parts at one point to do a first gen conversion on the front of the Choptop. Just never got it done.

Do the 4.0 swap and just tell everyone it’s a bored and stroked 2.9, which is basically what the 4.0 is. Bored and stroked 2.9 sounds cooler than 4.0 anyway :icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals