• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

K&N Air charger Cold Air Intake Kit - Worth the cost?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i wouldnt put one on a newer vehicle, but i have a cone filter on my stock 88 b2, and it runs so much better that it did with the stock setup.

Jason_J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here are my two cents.....cheap intakes that you see everyone sticking on thier rice burners will wreck havoc on a MAF(I make alot of money cleaning them from repeat customers). K&N makes a great product, there is no denying that. Your best bet if you want an aftermarket filter is to get a K&N that replaces your factory filter in your factory air box. You really have to consider all the R&D that Ford puts into producing the optimum setup for your rig before you slap on aftermarket parts that are hyped up. Just keep in mind that there is almost always a downside to performance upgrades. More air = more dirt!

ford4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i installed one on my 2007 3.0 l . I have a superchip which can measure 0-60 times and i gained 0.20 sec off my time. not really worth it unless you like the sound.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i installed one on my 2007 3.0 l . I have a superchip which can measure 0-60 times and i gained 0.20 sec off my time. not really worth it unless you like the sound.
Not worth it? Racers spend 10's of thousands of dollars, and car companies spend more than that to see those types of gains. How much gain were you expecting for spending $200 on a 3.0 ranger? If every $200 mod I put on my truck would improve my 0-60 time by that much, I'd be thrilled!

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not worth it? Racers spend 10's of thousands of dollars, and car companies spend more than that to see those types of gains.
I think he said .2 seconds, not 20 or 2 seconds.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know what he said. Do you know how difficult it is to increase 0-60 times? Do you know how many engineers lose sleep trying to get an improvement of hundredths of a second in a 0-60 run? For a simple, cheap, bolt-on mod to improve acceleration that much is a significant jump for any vehicle, especially a 3.0 equipped ranger, and would be well worth the $200ish investment imo.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
that much is a significant jump for any vehicle,
Yea, I mean I can leave the house .2 seconds later and still be on time for work. I'll even miss fewer important meetings. Why I think my life's a failure if I don't beat the guy next to me to the next light. This is street, not track, put the $200 toward college or retirement or make a charitable donation, things that really mean something in life.

trxusrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I Agree with Jason_J 100%! I just installed a K&N Drop in Replacement style filter on my 93 and noticed a big improvement. I threw the idea of a full intake around for a while, and when i looked at prices and looked at the factory ford set-up i realized the only gain will be looks. I don't think you would loose anything by installing a full K&N, but on the otherhand your not changing/gaining alot either! You are really just offering more parts to fail and maintain Hence:The cone filter that is a dirt magnet, and needs to be cleaned often. All my 3.0 has is magnaflow duals, a G.M.S MAF, and this drop in K&N. I noticed a world of difference in throttle response with the filter(and it was only $50.37 @ parts store). I drive the truck daily, and i attend college in Ny. I drive 327 miles one way, and i have noticed great gain in MPG with this filter, and exhaust.:icon_thumby:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is street, not track, put the $200 toward college or retirement or make a charitable donation, things that really mean something in life.
Umm, this is a truck forum. We are truck guys/gals. Spending money on our trucks is what we do. The whole reason forums exist is to share knowledge and information about ways to maintain, and improve our trucks. Why are you even on an automotive forum if you're going to look down on those of us who choose to spend our hard earned money doing what we want with our own vehicles? Nobody is perfect, yourself included.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And we've both made our respective cases. The difference being that I've got personal experience with the topic at hand, and so far, you haven't mentioned any kind of experience, you've only stated your opinion, and talked down to those of us who are willing to spend that money on our trucks instead of something "that really means something in life" as you put it . A mod's value or "worth" is entirely subjective, and you're free to share your opinion. The only people who can truly attest to a mod's value however are those who have tried it. You've played devil's advocate here, and shown the side of the argument that opposes my opinion, (which I can appreciate) but how can you chime in on an item's "worth" if you've never used it?

ford4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not worth it? Racers spend 10's of thousands of dollars, and car companies spend more than that to see those types of gains. How much gain were you expecting for spending $200 on a 3.0 ranger? If every $200 mod I put on my truck would improve my 0-60 time by that much, I'd be thrilled!
well it did sooo yeah... why would i post that if it wasnt true? and im not trying to be an ass just posting what i experienced with the k&n intake.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
how can you chime in on an item's "worth" if you've never used it?
Because there is no EVIDENCE it is worth it and I have better uses for $200. I think a roof spoiler would improve hwy handling, why don't you go out and purchase one so you can opine if it does or not.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I have put K&N drop-in's in two different trucks, didn't really make any difference in anything. Mostly I figure I'll save money over time by being able to clean the filter instead buying a new one once a year. I only have one in this truck because I had a $10 coupon for Pep Boys. Simple fact is that the stock intake already IS a cold air intake. An open cone filter with no heat shield is a hot air intake. Also a 3.0 or 4.0 doesn't flow enough air that a different filter will make much difference until you're turning 4000 rpm or so.
Best improvement per dollar is a K&N drop-in and remove the silencer from the airbox (free).

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Mostly I figure I'll save money over time by being able to clean the filter instead buying a new one once a year.
I really don't see a savings when you factor in time. I would buy time if I could, how much is your time worth? You can buy a lot of paper filters for the upfront cost of a K&N & cleaning kits. I like that I can throw away the old paper filter, and put in a new one - pretty much as fast as you can describe how to do it. Then you are done to do whatever else is more important, whether it be nothing or working on something that is far more interesting. I would find cleaning an air filter as tedious as scraping off old gaskets, which I don't think there isn't anything I hate more than scraping off old gaskets and RTV.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals