• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Knock Sensor Low Voltage

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 1986 Ford Ranger 2.9 A4LD and got a knock sensor code. I checked the voltage at pin 23 on the ecu as shown in this connector pinout here: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv and got only about 250mV when the truck was running when the diagram says I should be getting about 3v when running. If I unplug the sensor and then turn the key to the run position (but truck isn't running), I measure a very steady 2.575v. What would the voltage being about 250mV only when the sensor is plugged in point to? One thing that probably doesn't help is about 1/8" of the insulation on the ground side wire of the sensor connector is stripped away, but the wire looked great with no corrosion (It was also caked in oil which probably helped seal the wire off lol)

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
When you were pulling the codes KOER, did you do the goose test? You should have hammered the throttle when it told you to and brought the rpms over 2000. That is when it looks at the knock sensor for a response. If you did and still get the code, run the test again and when the goose test comes up, take a hammer a lightly tap on the exhaust manifold and see if the code goes away.

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
When you were pulling the codes KOER, did you do the goose test? You should have hammered the throttle when it told you to and brought the rpms over 2000. That is when it looks at the knock sensor for a response. If you did and still get the code, run the test again and when the goose test comes up, take a hammer a lightly tap on the exhaust manifold and see if the code goes away.
Yeah I floored it for a split second when it told me to and that test was when I got the knock sensor code. So when you say to tap the exhaust when the goose test comes up, do you mean to do that instead of the goose test or right after the goose test?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I floored it for a split second when it told me to and that test was when I got the knock sensor code. So when you say to tap the exhaust when the goose test comes up, do you mean to do that instead of the goose test or right after the goose test?
Tap instead of pushing the throttle during the goose test. You may get another code saying the engine didn't go beyond 2000 rpm, but see if you still get the knock sensor code. Tapping on the exhaust manifold should be enough for the knock sensor to hear it. If you still get the code, the wiring or the sensor must be bad.

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Tap instead of pushing the throttle during the goose test. You may get another code saying the engine didn't go beyond 2000 rpm, but see if you still get the knock sensor code. Tapping on the exhaust manifold should be enough for the knock sensor to hear it. If you still get the code, the wiring or the sensor must be bad.
Ok thanks, I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Test Knock sensor with OHM meter setting, 2,000 to 3,000 ohms is expected

Some Knock Sensors are one wire, they are grounded to the block to complete the circuit
If yours is two wires then one wire goes to pin 23 and the other to pin 46 on computer
Pin 46 is the common "ground" for most of the other sensor

Also to test if any knock sensor is working let warmed up engine idle
Then tap the head, metal intake or block with metal bar or ??
RPMs should change when the computer "hears" the metal on metal "knock"
It changes spark advance

Attachments

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
According to the code book i got with my code reader it says to ignore a knock sensor code if the truck isnt pinging

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Test Knock sensor with OHM meter setting, 2,000 to 3,000 ohms is expected

Some Knock Sensors are one wire, they are grounded to the block to complete the circuit
If yours is two wires then one wire goes to pin 23 and the other to pin 46 on computer
Pin 46 is the common "ground" for most of the other sensor

Also to test if any knock sensor is working let warmed up engine idle
Then tap the head, metal intake or block with metal bar or ??
RPMs should change when the computer "hears" the metal on metal "knock"
It changes spark advance
Sorry for being a day later than I said I would be, I got off late from work yesterday. Anyway, I tested for resistance and got overload on my multimeter. I also got a big wrench and lightly knocked on different parts of the engine and it didn't change anything about how it ran. Also, I made sure to warm up the truck before doing that test too.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals