• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

koa's 93 ranger build

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Gutted!

Up for sale :)

4:56 limited slip, warn manual hubs. 1 month old rotors and all bushings. 5.5" super lift with 3" steel washer spacer.
Hubs have lifetime warranty. Rotors have 2 yr warranty. Brake pads and all bushings have lifetime warranty. I have receipts for everything

Last edited:

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
Any up dates?

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
as for welding.on your frame its fine to.do id you do.so.properly when doing rock sliders and such weld a bigger foot plate on 1st rather then just the tubing to the frame. also u need to fish mouth the plates anytime you weld on a frame like this <=< hard to draw in a text but a vertical weld will make the frame more prone to cracking plus fish mouthing allows a longer weld

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
as for welding.on your frame its fine to.do id you do.so.properly when doing rock sliders and such weld a bigger foot plate on 1st rather then just the tubing to the frame. also u need to fish mouth the plates anytime you weld on a frame like this <=< hard to draw in a text but a vertical weld will make the frame more prone to cracking plus fish mouthing allows a longer weld
Thanks for the tip. Never knew why ppl have all their plates come to a point when welding to the frame. Makes sense though

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
So I haven't done much of anything to my truck in the past 2 months cuz its been so cold. I know 30 degrees isn't sht to most of you guys. But going from 120 to 30 degrees is hard for us here in the desert lol.

So anyway, all I've been able to do is tear out the d44 from the f250, drag it around the house and into my garage so now I can work with heaters. So far I've cut off the old brackets and ordered new u bolts for a flip and fresh u bolts for the rear. Next is to degrease this beast and start taking in apart to see what needs to be replaced. Looks pretty solid though. Maybe just new axle seals and u joints. Ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes, rotors all look very decent

Last edited:

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Wow! Almost a year without updates? Even I have lost interest in my build thread. Well, if anyone still cares, I finally have updates. I took 6 months off from working on my build for job and housing situations that came up. All good things though.

So after months of trial and error mistakes and change of designs, I'm finally close to being finished. I kept finding things I was unhappy with in my design that needed to be changed... Like how ugly this crossmember looked by hanging so low

And how stupid and weak this shackle mount looked.

It made me embarrassed to say it was my work and showed how cheap I am. So I decided to fork over some cash and go with these bad boys from ruffstuff.

Also, my steering design and debate was just sad and pathetic and showed how poor I am lol. So I grew a pair and did this...(sky manufacturing)

And this...

Which led me to this

And this

This is my update as of today. I am actually taking a week long vacation to finally complete this thing for once. That's how dedicated I've become haha.

After notching my crossmember and shaving down the drop hanger, I ended up with a lot of caster. So I will soon be ordering some degree shims.

I spent the last 4 months looking everywhere for the wheels I wanted. Closest I got was a set of old school welds in the form of 16x12 with a big offset. The only way to get the wheels I truly want is to have them custom made by realwheels for $1,400. Screw that. This will do just fine for $250. Just gotta get that black spray paint off and shine them up.

The only part I'm missing to finish this build is a set of tires. Not sure what size I want to run yet so im hunting for used throw aways to see how I like the look before buying a new set. After I find the right size, I'll be gearing accordingly and adding front and rear lockers.

This thing will be drivable by next week. I swear

Last edited:

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
Nice to see ya back on line and working on the ranger! Got some nice progress and cant wait to see it done.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Nice to see ya back on line and working on the ranger! Got some nice progress and cant wait to see it done.
Thanks for still showing interest in my build haha.

So last night I got the final welding done on the frame.

Now all that's left is to get all the rust off of my brand new u bolts, wire wheel the leafs, and repaint the axle from all the scratches I put on it. Then it's just assembling the internals and I'm ready to roll.

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
that there is one SEXY weld young sir.
What made you choose to put the crossmember below the frame vs between it?
just trying to learn something here.

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sweet! I was just thinking about this build the other day wondering where the progress was. Glad to see it up and going again.

EDIT: Is that 6011 stick in that last photo? Either way it looks good

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
that there is one SEXY weld young sir.
What made you choose to put the crossmember below the frame vs between it?
just trying to learn something here.
Thank you for the compliment.

Well I built the drop down brackets into the crossmember as one solid unit. So it just seemed so much easier to put it under the frame. Plus, due to my very long leafs, I needed to compensate for the drop down angle of the frame towards the rear. At the last minute, I decided that I didn't like how low the crossmember hung under the truck, so I notched it to bring it up 2". Plus it gave me the added bonus of great lateral support. With pinion shims I can make up the gap I lost. Any other questions, don't be afraid to ask. I'll try and pass on the advice that others have given me for my build

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Sweet! I was just thinking about this build the other day wondering where the progress was. Glad to see it up and going again.

EDIT: Is that 6011 stick in that last photo? Either way it looks good
Haha ya. Kinda fell out of the loop for a bit and lost hope in ever gettin this thing done. Been caught up with work and buying a home. The last pic was welded with 6010 on 75 amps dc+

Thanks for staying interested

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Took the front end back apart to paint the springs and axle. Took wayyyy too long to wire wheel these springs. Worst idea ever. Next time I'll be lazy and sand blast it.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
^ Buy a 4.5" wire wheel for your grinder. I was done with mine in under 1/2 hour lol

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
^ Buy a 4.5" wire wheel for your grinder. I was done with mine in under 1/2 hour lol
That's what I used lol. Rust and dirt build up from 1979 held me up. Eventually had to ditch the wire wheel for flap disks. What took the longest was smoothing out inside the eyes from all the rust. Had to sand that by hand. I know I shouldn't use old springs but eventually I will buy new ones once I decide if I like the height after a few months of use

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals