• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leak in Front Brake Line - '94 Ranger

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My '94 Ranger (2WD, 3.0L, short bed, regular cab) is leaking brake fluid from the "junction box" that's clipped to the wheel well on the driver's side (my "aftermarket repair manual" doesn't show this part in any of its diagrams or mention it in the text). The brake line from the master cylinder enters the "junction box" on the top, the one on the side goes to the caliper on the other side of the truck and the one on the bottom goes to the caliper on the driver's side.

The truck doesn't have ABS in the front (just the rear), so I don't think this part is an ABS sensor.

Can I get this part at a parts store or do I have to go to a dealer an how difficult is it to replace.

Any help would be appreciated.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you might need to replace the whole brake lines on the front end its not that hard. i just didnt my rear ones not to long ago.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
on the 4 x 4's that part is a part of the brake hose. Probably the same on yours.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
sounds like you need a brake hose. the drivers side front brake hose serves as the juntion block for the front brakes and you may want to replace both front lines while youre at it, if theyre rusty enough you may not have a choice.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^^ thats right i couldn't remember what the t connection was hooked too

OHmazda4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yea its part of the driver side brake line. where u located i have a brand new one laying around.

EDIT : Oops i think idriveafordranger94 is correct i didnt read the question well enough. Are you refering to the small T type connection in the driverside inner fender well or the the rectanlge thing on the inside of the frame rail ? cuz that T connection is part of the brake line to the caliper and is about 28 bucks at the auto parts store, where as the the thing in the fram rail tucked up in there is the porportional valve and i have no idea how expensive those are, but they dont sound cheap.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
I would definately not buy a new one of these. The part you are referring to is called the porportioning valve. It is part of the ABS system. If you blow a rear wheel cylinder, instead of losing all of your rear brakes, it transfers the braking power away from the problem and directs it to the brakes that have pressure. They are in upwards of $300 brand new. I stripped the threads on my p-valve when I installed new brake lines on my Ranger. I went to a junkyard and got a "new" used one for $7.95 and it went right in.

As for your leaking problem, it looks like you have a blown brake line. It would be wise to replace this as soon as you can. Brake lines are very easy if you take your time and be careful not to strip any threads. Good Luck!

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for all the advice - very helpful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals