• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaking 07 ranger

yamaha6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey i noticed that I had a few drops of oil on my driveway this morning under my truck(2007 ranger 4x4 sport 4.0L). I took a closer look and now I see that it is coming from right where the front diff goes into the passenger side cv. Bit of a leaky deff doesn't bother me but this stuff that is leaking out looks and feels like grease. I really hope the hub isn't going.... Took a whole bunch of pictures but I don't know how to put them on here so if someone could tell me how to do that I could show you guys. I was thinking of just sealing it up wiht a bunch of grease but if thats a terrible idea please tell me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanx:beer:

rileyrs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
photobucket to post the pics.

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
its sounding like a torn boot on the cv shaft. that has grease in it. but if it is dripping that is most likely a bad seal on the output side of the differential. either are inexpensive to fix but can quickly get bad and break expensive things without proper repairs. so no shooting grease into it and letting it ride. either have a shop fix it or do it at home

yamaha6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yea, it's def not the boot. there is a dark metal piece between the start of the cv and the end of the diff. The leak is between where the deff and this dark metal piece meet. If I could figur out how to connect my Photobucket to this thing I could show everyone exactly what I am talking about. I am thinking it is the seal on the end of the deff but it would be nice to be sure. does anyone have any ideas what that seal would cost to replace at a shop? thanx:beer:

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just replaced mine 2 weeks ago. In order to do it you have to remove the tire, the caliper, the caliper bracket, the rotor, the wheel bearing, the upper ball joint, the tie rod end, and then remove the cv shaft. Make sure to use an axle seal puller it makes things a helluva lot easier. When putting the seal in make sure to use a socket that is big enoungh to clear the rubber peice sticking out of the center of the seal and not to big that you dont make good contact with the metal ring on the seal. I screwed mine up the first time cause it went half way in and ruined the sealer around the edges. When I did mine I removed the entire from axle assembly because I had to replace the diff gasket. I would guess that if you had a shop do it they would prolly charge anywhere from 2-3 hours. And at $75+ an hour you would be lookin at $150-$225+ for a part that costs $12-$18.

Oh by the way I just read over your thing again, and what I just explained was how to replace the axle seal. Im almost positive that is what is causing your leak from what you are saying.

Last edited:

ufgators68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Automatic
In order to do it you have to remove the tire, the caliper, the caliper bracket, the rotor, the wheel bearing, the upper ball joint, the tie rod end, and then remove the cv shaft.
Would this be the same procedure to follow to replace the entire shaft?

One of the boots on my truck is leaking, slightly, and I have read that it is easier to replace the entire thing instead of just replacing the boot.

Yeah, I know... OLD thread.:thefinger:

Ford7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L Flex
Transmission
Automatic
i have the same problem on my passenger side and i just replaced the seal and it still leaks

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I tell you what Ford7 I'm not sure but I read that the spring on the back side of the seal falls out if you hit it to hard. I also read that you use grease to hold th spring in place.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals