• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

leaky back window

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys,
I have a 94 ranger with a rear slider window... It leaks right below the window lock where the seal meets the glass... i have looked at this and it doesn't look like the seal can easily be replaced. Has anyone ever dealt with this problem before. thanks

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Leaky back windows/third brake light is a common problem. My window leaked at the very top where the seal met the cab. I just replaced the back glass and it solved it. Depending on exactly where the leak is you may be able to fill it with some silicone.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Don't use silicone. IMO it not good for this job, it doesn't stick well to slightly dirty, oily material and when it does stick, it's a real pain to clean off. I would try a thermo-plastic sealant, it will stick to slightly dirty, oily materials better than silicone, and can be peeled off a lot easier with less residue left behind. Do clean where you apply any caulk very well, I'd use alcohol as the last step in the cleaning process. I'm not saying this is the right fix for your problem, just if you DO decide to go this route, to be aware of the options.
Good luck,

Richard

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the replies fellas... i have located where the leak is... i don't really think that a sealant of any kind will work because it leaks in right where the glass slides to open or close it. i think the rubber seal on the window is a little dry rotted. i do have another window i can use if it comes down to it, but i was just looking into an easier way out of this.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
If you have to replace the window, here is the easiest way to do it and it will require two people.

1. get some cotton rope that is long enough to go around the window and over lap by 12".
2. get some dawn dish soap.
3. place the rope into a bowl of dawn dish soap.
4. Place the rubber gasket on the window.
5. wrap the cotton rope around the window, installing it in the channel that the sheet metal will go into.
6. place window up against the sheet metal where the hole is.
7. have second person hold window and put pressure against the window.
8. have first person inside of the truck and slowly pull the rope towards you as you go along the seam.
9 set back and wonder how easy that was.
10. get a tall glass of ice tea, and rest a spell.
11. get the paper towels and window cleaner to remove all the soap.

This is how I use to replace VW windows when I was younger and played with "bugs", you might have to do number 8 till you get the feel right, but the rope pulls the lip of the rubber over the sheet metal very easy.

your welcome

Robert

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you have to replace the window, here is the easiest way to do it and it will require two people.

1. get some cotton rope that is long enough to go around the window and over lap by 12".
2. get some dawn dish soap.
3. place the rope into a bowl of dawn dish soap.
4. Place the rubber gasket on the window.
5. wrap the cotton rope around the window, installing it in the channel that the sheet metal will go into.
6. place window up against the sheet metal where the hole is.
7. have second person hold window and put pressure against the window.
8. have first person inside of the truck and slowly pull the rope towards you as you go along the seam.
9 set back and wonder how easy that was.
10. get a tall glass of ice tea, and rest a spell.
11. get the paper towels and window cleaner to remove all the soap.

This is how I use to replace VW windows when I was younger and played with "bugs", you might have to do number 8 till you get the feel right, but the rope pulls the lip of the rubber over the sheet metal very easy.

your welcome

Robert
This works, I watched an installer do this on my windshield on my '54 chev truck.

Richard

93_RangerSC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Heres an easy one- Do you have full coverage insurance?if Yes throw a baseball at you back window, bust it call insurance company tell them some kids busted your window and waa-la!insurance company sends a glass company and you gotta new window with no leaks

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I like the baseball idea, but i just can't bring myself to do it. thanks for the information fellas:icon_cheers:

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Go to the junkyard and get a single-piece window, looks better and less chances for leaks! We bought out truck with the slider window but one part was broken, there was no way to replace the piece without wrecking the entire window frame, and none of the salvage yards had a complete slider either (big demand, very short supply of good ones) so we put in a solid window, looks a lot nicer now.

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Go to the junkyard and get a single-piece window, looks better and less chances for leaks! We bought out truck with the slider window but one part was broken, there was no way to replace the piece without wrecking the entire window frame, and none of the salvage yards had a complete slider either (big demand, very short supply of good ones) so we put in a solid window, looks a lot nicer now.
yeah that is really what i was going to pursue if i couldn't find an easy fix. i have another complete rear slider window that i thought about using but it may have the same problem that this one does so i don't think i'm going to use it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals