• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lets talk WEATHERSTRIPPING and SEALS! Camper, Tailgate and Window/Door!

86_FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I've been doing research and in the middle of doing some seal overhauls on my 2004 with extended cab and half doors with a camper. I've spent a little too much time researching into the various products but with rainy season fast approaching here and some seals needing work, I wanted to share what I've learned and/or am trying and welcome any feedback, especially if you have advice or have used one of these with success or failure! :icon_cheers:

BACK WINDOW:
After excessive research, I settled on this product which was awesome, foam core butyl rope. I used 8mm, if you can find 3/8 that would be good too. Way more manageable than the pure butyl products and/or tapes.

Foam core butyl rope 8mm

TIPS:
-Easiest way I've seen to remove the old butyl is to just use a chunk of itself. It sticks to itself really well and will dab it off clean as can be. Way easier than scraping or wire brushing it out.
-Before starting the process, drive around with your heat on max for abit to soften up all the plastic and snaps/clips. I didn't have to remove as much as most how-tos show. With careful manipulation and warm plastic you can get to most bolts without removing too much or the headliner.
-When installing, tighten nuts down in a circular sequence, lightly, and in phases. For example, finger tight, wait 1hr for seal to settle/squish, tighten almost to snug, wait 1hr, tighten to just snug, wait 1hr, confirm still just snug. I wouldn't tighten fully in my opinion.
-After install, for the first 24-48hrs or as long as you can stand try not to slam the doors shut with all windows closed. The pressure created can be hard on the fresh seal. Crack a window, close softly, or if you have a back slider leave it full open to shut door, then close it from outside.

CAMPER TO TRUCK SEAL:
I've never really had much of an issue here with leaks, I usually used a combination of several of the cheap foam tape rolls from big box stores, in combination with a rubber bead type seal I'd get from the same place. My only problem here was everytime, without fail when removing the camper, the seal would be trashed, either by accidently dragging it or just folding it accidently at a corner not realizing the adhesive had failed.

After some research, this product gets high marks and alot of people seem to think its the best solution and can actually survive taking the camper off gently a few times. Anyone have input or have used this or better?? I've got it sitting in front of me, looks nice.

ESI ULTRA SEAL 20ft

CAMPER WINDOWS:
My camper is old and heavy, a old fiberglass shell. The windows have seeped/leaked/dripped lightly in heavy rain ever since I've had it, for at least 7+ years now. On this sealing journey I decided to tackle those too, and found it to be easier than expected and wish I did this years ago. The old seals were obviously very, very gone. The bolt on trim pinches the window frame between it and the fiberglass shell, and in that pinching action is the seal very similar to the back window of the cab. After cleaning all the old foam style tape off, and all frames/camper shell I used the same 8mm foam core butyl rope I used for the back window of the cab. It went very well and gave great squish without being too thick or thin. Gently tighten like the back window in a circular pattern while going easy, giving it rest time, going tighter, more rest, then final torque. I don't recommend fully cranking these small bolts to full tight.

The foam tape seemed to come up the easiest opposite to the butyl in the cab window. I found that if I got it wet, let it soak for an hour, the adhesive would come right off cleanly. It was easy to scrape it off dry, but scratched up the aluminum. The foam core rope worked great here, the 8mm size seemed perfect. 3 rolls did my back window and all 3 camper windows.

Foam core butyl rope 8mm

CAMPER BACK TAILGATE WINDOW SEAL/FLAP:
I did a lot of research and almost gave up when trying to find some sort of OEM replacement for my very failed and rotted seals that seal the rear glass/lift/door to the back/tailgate side of the camper. I was constantly getting dust/dirt/water around the hinged window. I was going to go a big box store or 3M weather-stripping type alternative until I came across this site that has alot of universal "T" and "V" slot weather-stripping. Not the cheapest, but nice to have OEM style.

TRUCKOUTFITTERSPLUS Tailgate window seals/flaps/etc

Edit: May be obvious but don't forget to look at your T handles to close the window and some you can adjust the pressure they close with.

TRUCK TAILGATE SEAL:
My truck does have these simple little rubber flaps held on by plastic clips at the tailgate, but they are pretty rotted and never did a great job. If driving in dusty conditions I can clearly see dust flying in around the tailgate area. I havent seen any great off the shelf solutions, but I'm hoping the same company that makes the nice cap seal also works here. I've got it in front of me and have played with a little piece of it. Seems like it could work but not sold on it.

Anyone use this with success or failure? I may remove my dingy rubber flaps and add this to see. It seems slightly small but I could see how I could take my time and position it right to get a good seal, if only the adhesive actually lasts!

ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal Universal 10ft

Edit: Installed, it looks great. I am impressed. Strong adhesive, and clearly seals the entire tailgate sides perfectly. The bottom gap was trickier but seals great too. I'm confident it the sidewalls, the bottom I may have to redo and place lower. If it fails early, I will update the post.

DOORS:
Sometimes, my doors will fill with water after heavy rains and will slosh and feel heavy. Never leaks into the cab, usually catches me off guard and I'll find my door suddenly has decided to store a gallon of water. If I pop the plug on the underside of the door, she comes gushing out. Strange. Is this my power window seal thats letting water into door but not cab? Anyone know if this is difficult to replace or fix?

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Excellent post. Thank you for sharing.

Sometimes, my doors will fill with water after heavy rains and will slosh and feel heavy. Never leaks into the cab, usually catches me off guard and I'll find my door suddenly has decided to store a gallon of water. If I pop the plug on the underside of the door, she comes gushing out. Strange. Is this my power window seal thats letting water into door but not cab? Anyone know if this is difficult to replace or fix?
Sounds like you need new outer window sweeps.

86_FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual

Sure looks like it. Sometimes its hard to search for what you need unless you know the actual name. Searching window sweep leads me right to what I need. My felt style sweeps are completely sun rotted. Thanks!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good deal. Now you can make a clean sweep of your project. :yahoo:

Seriously, that's a fine writeup that you did.

86_FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Clean sweep ;missingteeth;
Just what I need to polish it off and keep it dry! Perfect!

86_FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual

Ordered and installed aftermarket Dorman sweeps. Aprx 35$ each, and appear high quality. Note: Be sure to notice the driver side and passenger side are separate pieces. The cheaper aftermarket ones I purchased seem to seal great, and one side fit perfectly. For some reason the driver side was a bit of struggle, and was physically different slightly than the passenger side. I feel like this is due to manufacturing defects mainly on the driver side Dorman sweep but maybe my driver door is alittle tweaked too. Also worth noting, the "clips" on the Dorman aftermarket sweeps were smaller and daintier than the OEM sweeps.

The aftermarket cheap sweeps currently look great and they are keeping the cab/doors dry and less overall window fog on cold rainy days but the driver side fit weird and if the problem repeats I'm definitely going full OEM since ford sells the sweeps in my area for ~ 65$ or roughly double the price so it's worth it long term.

However, long story short if your door gathers water and the felt window strips are severely worn, spending 70$ on aftermarket or $140 on OEM sweeps will do the trick. Plus the sweeps include the metal trim under window and will also freshen them up if peeling/rotting!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals