• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

leveling a 06 FX4 lvl II

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
so ive just recently purchased my level II and i cant even put words to how much i love it. i am planning on a suspension lift but that will come when the truck is paid off, so in the mean time i would like to level it so i can have just a little more clearance off road. i've done allot of research and i dont really want to crank the tbars or purchase keys because of the loss of downward travel. is there any other way to level the truck? i know i can do a body lift which is an option, just not to big a fan of it. so does anyone have any suggestions, or do you think i should just hold off until i can afford the suspension lift? (suspension lift will be sometime in the summer) im gonna lose my mind weighing my options here.:icon_twisted: thnx.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you don't want to crank the bars, or do keys(good call), or a body lift. Those are your options pretty well. Just crank the bars a little. I turned mine 5 turns and it levelled the truck out. It rides better now too. If you do a body lift now then suspension lift in the future you can runs 35's. just a thought.

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
did you get an alignment after you cranked them just a little bit? and as far as a body lift, i am planning on running 33x12.5 tires so is it wise (or necessary) to do a body lift and a suspension lift just to clear those tires. i was planning on a 3-4 inch suspension lift in the summer.

Last edited:

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did NOT get an alignment, but it is wise to at least get it checked. There are a few guys running 33x12.5 with a t-bar max up front and shackles and add-a-leaf in the rear. Personally I would do a 3" body lift and put on the 33's. But 33's with a 4"SL and a 3"BL will look silly. What size tire do you ultimately want to run?

07rangerfx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ive got a buddy that has and 05 fx4 and has 3" body and torsion bars turned up and is runnin 35x12.50 with very little scrubbage...ive got a 07 fx4 i just recently put a 3" body lift on and turned up the tbars and i plan on runnin 33x12.5

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
ultimately i would like to run 33x12.5 tires which is why i am not liking the idea of a body lift, then the suspension lift. like you say it just wouldn't look right. from what i understand i can run 33 inch tires stock, but ill rub like crazy. so, lets say that i choose to do just a body lift to fit the tires, will that level my truck or will i still have to crank the torsion bars? because apparently cranking the tbars looses downward travel which is the reason i want a SL. i kinda feel like i wont be satisfied until i get the SL, so i really dont know what to do cuz i would like the extra clearance now. :dunno::icon_confused:

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you only wanna run a 33x12.5 I would just get a BL. It is much cheaper. cooke15?? i think has 33x12.5 MTR's with a major torsion crank, shackles and add-a-leaves. His truck looks awesome. I don't know about rubbing. You can run a 33x10.5 with just a t-bar crank. Maybe something to consider?? If you really think you won't be happy till you get a suspension lift, then wait and get a suspension lift. The superlift kit will clear 33x12.5.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
ultimately i would like to run 33x12.5 tires which is why i am not liking the idea of a body lift, then the suspension lift. like you say it just wouldn't look right. from what i understand i can run 33 inch tires stock, but ill rub like crazy. so, lets say that i choose to do just a body lift to fit the tires, will that level my truck or will i still have to crank the torsion bars? because apparently cranking the tbars looses downward travel which is the reason i want a SL. i kinda feel like i wont be satisfied until i get the SL, so i really dont know what to do cuz i would like the extra clearance now. :dunno::icon_confused:
Just doing the body lift will not level the truck at all. It will just be 3" higher, you will still have a front to back rake. Just so you know the suspension lift won't improve your down travel at all either, it just drops the entire front a arm assembly and t bars down 4".

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
Just doing the body lift will not level the truck at all. It will just be 3" higher, you will still have a front to back rake. Just so you know the suspension lift won't improve your down travel at all either, it just drops the entire front a arm assembly and t bars down 4".
so i understand that it will not improve down travel however is the upward travel increase by four inches or is it the same as stock, just in a different position? (forgive me if these questions are kinda ridiculous, I'm still new to this and trying to learn what is exactly going on.) thnx.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
It'll be about the same as stock, just everything is dropped 4 inches.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah the SLA suspensions aren't improved much by a typical lift (maybe 1-2" more travel at the most). The axle CV joints (and balljoints) can only handle so much angle before overextending.

IMO, for that reason a mild torsion bar crank and a 3" bodylift is the most economical way to fit 33x12.50s. Only thing you lose with that vs. having a suspension lift is a bit of breakover angle.

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
why not leveling coils fairly inexpensive (I think?) 1.5"-2"longer springs up front will do it

or coil spring spacer but i havent heard good things about those

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
why not leveling coils fairly inexpensive (I think?) 1.5"-2"longer springs up front will do it

or coil spring spacer but i havent heard good things about those
he doesn't have coils. He has torsion bars:beer:

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
ok, i appreciate everyones feedback. kinda got allot to think about here now. for the reason of money the body lift is best, i guess the the other thing to ask is if i run 33x12.5 tires will they rub under full flex or sharp turns? keeping in mind that my truck is gonna be spending a fair amount of time on the trails and that is kind of a concern. thnx.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals