• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leveling springs/front suspension questions.

Geeshik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How much room is supposed to be between the front axle and the bump stop on a 93 ranger 4x4 with a stock 3.0? Mine has the high rider option (basically a steel block under the rear leaf springs with longer rear shocks) and for some reason, i have only an inch between the front axle and driver's side bump stop. Any type of bump causes it to hit pretty hard and i can feel it under my feet. Are my springs weak or something?

i also noticed i have some damage to the shock tower on the driver's side and i was wondering if there was a place i could order a new one.

On the clearance issue, a friend of mine told me that leveling springs would take care of the problem. Summit racing has two different types of leveling springs for my 93 Ranger supercab. One is a Trailmaster and one is a Skyjacker. The Skyjacker is much less expensive at ~$150, but does not come with the alignment bushings. It also says that it would give my extended cab only 1.5 inches of lift . The Trailmaster comes with bushings, costs ~$280, and says it will give 2 inches of lift. What do you recommend?
What length shock do i need to run after i change the spring height?

Last edited:

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trailmaster. or skyjacker springs and stacked washers under the front coils to help with the extra weight of the extended cab.

Geeshik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks.

I was kinda leaning toward Trailmaster, but i've never heard of them before.

weirdunclespongebob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Leveling

I have been running the Superlift leveling springs on my 94 B4000 extra cab for a couple of years now. A buddy of mine who was an alignment tech at Big O suggested them. He said the aftermarket springs hold alignment better then the stockers. I have been quite happy with them.:icon_thumby:

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have Rough Country leveling coils on mine and they seem to do well. I'm happy with them.

Geeshik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Prices?

Do you remember the prices on the other leveling coils? My wife is kinda freaking out about the Trailmaster's cost. Are there cheaper places to get them than Summit? I need to do something soon, my truck is not driveable.

I did have my coil tower welded though now, so the hole where the shock tore out is fixed. i put a 3/4 inch washer up and my father in law welded it on for me. Do i need a special length shock after installing the springs?

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
A very cheap and safe alternative is to stack washers under your coils...cost me about $10,,,you can get 1.5 to about 2 inches of lift that way.You will still have to get it alligned though.When I did mine I already had Rancho's on so I did'nt have to replace the shocks. Whichever way you decide to go, when you have replace the springs or if you decide to use washers,just measure how much drop you have and compare that to your shock length.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
IIRC, my Ranger had about 1.5" between the bumpstops and the axle when it was new (should've been 2-2.5" however). After 16 years, being a half-inch lower sounds about right.

If the springs are in otherwise good condition (no rust, massive paint flaking, etc.), I'd just do the washers like was mentioned. Cheap, & easy.

BTW, the Highrider option was only available on some mid-late '80s models. All '90s trucks have the standard suspension (which includes a factory 2.25" lift block in the rear on 4WD models).

dpb123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
alignment concerns

Did you have to adjust/replace any other components (i.e. radius or pitman arms) after installing the 2" leveling springs? I installed adjustable camber/caster bushings and everything looks good except it looks like the bottom of both springs are now leaning slightly forward. I opted for the springs because I could only get 1 1/4" of lift by stacking washers while still having enough threads to engage the nut.

Geeshik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure.

I haven't put springs in yet. I'm still trying to get money together for them. It seems no matter how many hours i work a week, i'm always short on cash.

I'll definitely let you know when i get that far though. Did you leave the washers in with the new springs? Are your radius arm bushings good?

Also, i was wondering... I have a 1990 Ranger 4x4 extended cab parts truck that isn't lifted looking at all, but it has the 4.0. Are those front coil springs the same or longer/stiffer than the 93 3.0 springs?

And 4x4junkie, i mean no disrespect at all, but i know my truck has the highrider option because i have had to order shocks for the rear and they are a special length. All of our local auto parts stores and the dealerships can't be wrong.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
And 4x4junkie, i mean no disrespect at all, but i know my truck has the highrider option because i have had to order shocks for the rear and they are a special length. All of our local auto parts stores and the dealerships can't be wrong.
Does your truck have factory RIVETED-in spacers for the radius arm crossmember? If not, then you don't have the highrider on your truck.

See this page:
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/spring2008/high_rider_stx.htm

Not sure what to tell you about your rear shocks, they all are supposed to be the same length (maybe someone sold you 2WD shocks at some point if they were too short?)

Also, very little difference in weight between the 3.0L and 4.0L. Unless your '93 is a reg cab (looks like a Supercab in your avatar pic), there wouldn't be much difference (if any) between the two sets of springs.

Last edited:

94bigsteele

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have almost the same truck as u but its a 94 and a 4.0 but its a purple power ranger lol anyway im looking for the leveling coils too.rough country one are 130$+s/h.but idk wats better the rough countrys or skyjackers? help

Geeshik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, i was looking at the trailmasters because i thought they were variable rate coils and would have a nice ride and would be better for mounting a snow plow. I'm getting close to having the money to order some, but now i'm not so sure. The generic photos of the spring show that they are variable rate, but it is just a generic photo. I can't find the same info that i had thought i found before describing them as variable rate.

The lower cost of the rough country product has just about made up my mind. The Skyjackers are probably just as good, but everywhere i looked, they are more expensive, and i can't find the superlift leveling coils anywhere; i think they may have been discontinued. (?)

94bigsteele

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the ones your taking about do they come with a 2'' add-a-leaf?

Geeshik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No. The Rough Country leveling coils i ordered are just coils. i don't need add a leafs for the rear. My truck has plenty of rear axle lift due to the lift blocks. I just need to get the front up a bit so i am not risking a busted front axle or frame every time i hit a bump. I might go the washer route too if it's not enough. It cost $150 bones after shipping through Performance OffRoad Center. When i get them in, i'll let you know and post some before and after pics. i always wanted to do that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals