• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift block question!

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am in the process of putting my lift blocks in. Now there is the factory block that has the piece of steel going towards the pumpkin. Do I leave that on and put the lift blocks below it OR do I JUST use the lift block??:dunno:

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
i do not recomend stacking blocks.

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That"s what I thought, it looked kinda sketchy when I stacked them. Thanks a lot!

TX Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Do not stack, it's a no-no.

The piece of steel could be part of the bump stop assembly. Might want to check that since you're removing the factory block...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo, 4.0L, 4.0L SOHC, 5.7L (yea chevy motor, I didn't do it though!)
Transmission
Manual
I agree, stacking blocks is def not the right way. However 95% of any lift kit you buy for a ranger or F150 requires stacking the blocks to achieve the lift. What I do in a case like this is toss the lift block that comes with the kit and dig in my box of factory F series rear blocks. F350's used a huge single block factory, I believe it was around 6" if I remember without going and digging one out. the F250's are slightly shorter then F150's ect.. Absolute worst case if I didn't have the correct single block I have used 2 factory blocks in place of the cheap cast aluminum lift block. I do that for 2 reasons, #1 having the ear off the side prevents the block from being able to twist out from between the U bolts and also raises the bump stop up enough so you dont stuff a big tire into the bed. reason #2 is you can run a bead of weld around the 2 cast iron blocks essentially making them 1 single block. I've never once seen one break or shift when done this way

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Throw the POS life block out, grab a set of Add-A-Leaves and a set of chevy lowering shackles (Belltech 5400's)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Throw the POS life block out, grab a set of Add-A-Leaves and a set of chevy lowering shackles (Belltech 5400's)
I've done this also. FYI, if your find a stock set of 4 door explorer rear leafs you get a couple inches of lift this way too, between 3-4". I ran that set up on my mud drag truck last year, explorer leafs with a 2" factory block and Belltech shackles. Never got any axle wrap or broken u joints running a 4.0L SOHC with a locked D60 rear and brand new 38.5" Boggers and it ended up being around 5" of lift when I was done

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Also 78/79 2wd F150's have stock blocks that are 1 inch taller than the factory ranger blocks. They're hard to find though.

03huntin'rig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
I've done this also. FYI, if your find a stock set of 4 door explorer rear leafs you get a couple inches of lift this way too, between 3-4". I ran that set up on my mud drag truck last year, explorer leafs with a 2" factory block and Belltech shackles. Never got any axle wrap or broken u joints running a 4.0L SOHC with a locked D60 rear and brand new 38.5" Boggers and it ended up being around 5" of lift when I was done
I've seen your rangers. did u end up parting out that dually that you had? cause that truck was pretty sweet.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any of you weld, per chance ?

1/4" wall, 3 x 3" box tubing, some 1/4" plate, a cutting torch (or disks in an angle grinder) some .035 (even .045 fluxcore) and about a 1/2 hour will do it...

Heck I built my 3" body lift for about 35 bucks, and that was for the longer grade 12 bolts , nuts, and fender washers. and about 10 feet of 3" channel (for the box), and 3 ft. of 3" 1/8" wall, pipe for the body mounts.

The hardest thing was the change to the steering shaft between the box and the bottom of the column, it turned out that the original has a pull apart 2 piece shaft in the first 10 in. from the box.

Greg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've seen your rangers. did u end up parting out that dually that you had? cause that truck was pretty sweet.
Yea I ended up parting it out. That one and The 86 SVO Turbo both got cut up and parted out. It killed me to do it but unfortunately they were both worth alot more as parts than complete trucks. I realized I was going to have to sell a couple projects off to finish my powerstroke dually so I threw the dually ranger out front. It sat there for 6 months for $800 with no bites at all. I got tired of seeing it sit there so I parted it out for almost $3,000. Sucked to do but you cant argue with cash either. I sold just the built SVO motors and tranny's out of the 86 for $1,200 then parted out EVERYTHING else. I actually just delivered the new bedsides I had for it tonight. Still got a brand new in the box tail gate, roll pan, Ranger GT side skirts, front bumper and the dually rear axle left :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals