• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lift question

87DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
how tall can u stack the washers for coil spacers on a stock 87 4x4 ranger suspension?

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
Look in the tech library but I think its about 1 1/2 inches.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
If you are gonna be cheap about it...buy real spacers and you will be safer, Bro. They are cheap and won't ever come loose on you. No magazine or TV 4x4 truck show has ever done a washer lift on anything and never will. The mags and TV shows all say to stay away from the idea of using washer for a lift. If you can....buy taller coil springs.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are gonna be cheap about it...buy real spacers and you will be safer, Bro. They are cheap and won't ever come loose on you. No magazine or TV 4x4 truck show has ever done a washer lift on anything and never will. The mags and TV shows all say to stay away from the idea of using washer for a lift. If you can....buy taller coil springs.
Actually wrong, the washer spacers are in fact safer than the poly ones because they don't break down, just make sure you weld a bead down one side and you are good.

Also you can do about 1.5in

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Actually wrong, the washer spacers are in fact safer than the poly ones because they don't break down, just make sure you weld a bead down one side and you are good.

Also you can do about 1.5in

This

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'd rather have steel washers in there than some crappy ass poly spacers that are gonna disintegrate in 6 months (maybe faster if you wheel it hard). and i'd do 3 or 4 beads down the sides myself, rather be safe than sorry.

you're limited by the height of the coil stud, you've gotta be able to get the nut back on plus, if you go too high, you wont be able to align it.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
I'm at 1.62". Yielded almost 2.5" of lift. Still alignable.

And yeah, I agree with those guys above, I'd rather have a strong steel spacer holding my truck up rather than a poly spacer that can fall apart in a few months. And yes, welding it makes it a whole of a lot stronger and better to install.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Are going to weld the washers together? A bit safer. Not glued as some idiots have done before and caused accidents from doing so. If the poly spacers are so unsafe why were they not band by any OSHA organization? They do not break down and cause issues unless some idiot installed them wrong. None of the mags I have been reading for years and years have ever had a bad thing to say about the poly spacer. None of the TV truck shows have ever had anything to say about the poly spacers....just about the washers used as a spacer. Just be careful, Bro.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
I would take washers over poly spacers any day but would prefer stainless steel over regular old carbon steel. The degradation of a carbon steel washer, even if coated, would make me nervous (mind you I am in the rust belt). I wouldnt add too many so that you dont have any threads left above the nut, hell I wouldnt even want it flush with the top! you should have at least 3 fully visibly threads over the top of a nut for it to be totally safe. Now does that mean if it is flush with the top of the nut that it WILL fail? No, but in the chance that you hit something hard enough to rip it apart I'd like to know theres more material there. Maybe this is from a fabricators point of view but I like to over engineer things and know they wont fail.

They poly spacer would be better in my point of view for the shear fact that it would reduce the amount of stress on the bolt that the rigidity of washers adds. The (stainless) washers on the other hand would be better for the fact of the longevity over a poly spacer.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals