• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift ?s bit confused

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok so ive been reading and searching threads and checking tech library for awhile now so as to try to not sound like an idiot so here goes.:dunno:
I have an 87 Ranger 4wd with shot F-150 coils, F-150 leafs, and completely shot shocks. So obviously time for suspension re-do. I checked tech library and a few web sites and 4" and 6" supension lifts seem to be very costly (at least for me) or price non-existent:annoyed: Basically what i want to do with the truck is to get either 4" or 6' suspension coils and brackets for front lift, rear is ok (f-150 leafs give about 2" have spare 2" lift blocks and can get shackles if need be) ,body lift and fender trimming if needed. I want to fit 33x12.50s but will settle for 31x10.50s if i have to.
1Anyone have some prices for 4 and 6 lift coils and brackets?
2Pics of gen1s with 33x12.50s and lift specs?
3Any advice on what lift i should go with?
4Any advice on trimming fenders(how much can i trim, what tires will clear)?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.:icon_thumby:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked the tech library? There is a wealth of info in there. Jim Oaks (the creator of TRS) sells a bunch of lifts and stuff.

http://www.jamesoaksenterprises.com/
He did start his question with this???????

"Ok so ive been reading and searching threads and checking tech library for awhile now so as to try to not sound like an idiot so here goes."

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yes i checked th tech library and skyjacker is expensive as hell(cheapest 4" like $700, and cheapest 6" like $740 and i dont need the lift for the rear), superlifts a little better(4in $675 and 5.5in $685 with shocks), tuff country 4in is like $540 and has the rear which i dont need, And I havent found just front coils and brackets for sale anywhere. I found skyjacker coils 4in for$150 and 6in for $160, but no brackets.:sad: This is why im confused it doesnt seem like anyone sells both coils and lift brackets(oy ya and drop pitman arm), as a kit. Anyone know where to find one or those components separate? And if so what kind of cost am I looking at?
Thanks.:icon_thumby:

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I was doin more research tonight and found out Rough Country makes a 4" kit for around $445 plus shipping. The good part about it is it comes with all I need: Coils, radius arm drop brackets, axle drop brackets, drop pitman arm, four hydro 8000 shocks, and even bump stop drop brackets, plus lift blocks and u-bolts for the rear. Upgrade to nitro 9000 shocks was only $25. Total cost of full kit + shipping to me was $544.30. I still wish to find just the front lift but this looks like a good deal.:icon_thumby: What do you guys think? I have to find something cheap, at 7.25hr the money isnt exactly rollin in.:icon_rofl:

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok so even though no one seems to care anymore... found a guy in vegas on craigslist says hes selling pro comp 6 in lift brackets: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/3008895843.html
Does pro comp make a 6 inch lift? and if so is this a good price for these brackets?

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That is for a 2wd ranger
Oh ok how can you tell? Just curious for future reference.
Damn. I knew it was too good to be true.:sad:
EDIT: durr pro comp only make brackets for 2wd. But anyway if i buy from a dummy who doesnt know comopany that makes it, is there a way to tell 2wd from 4wd?

Last edited:

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
james oaks sell the pivot brackets on his site as well as coil springs. Then you would have to find or fab up some drop radius arm brackets and figure out springs or blocks in the rear. Add a drop pitman arm shocks and extended brake lines. Its probably just cheaper and more efficent to buy a full kit and be done with it. I searched for weeks on craigslist around my area and found a used 6 inch skyjacker but most wont get that lucky. I wish i would have just bought a new one after everything was said and done. Just my personal experience.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I was doin more research tonight and found out Rough Country makes a 4" kit for around $445 plus shipping. The good part about it is it comes with all I need: Coils, radius arm drop brackets, axle drop brackets, drop pitman arm, four hydro 8000 shocks, and even bump stop drop brackets, plus lift blocks and u-bolts for the rear. Upgrade to nitro 9000 shocks was only $25. Total cost of full kit + shipping to me was $544.30. I still wish to find just the front lift but this looks like a good deal.:icon_thumby: What do you guys think? I have to find something cheap, at 7.25hr the money isnt exactly rollin in.:icon_rofl:
1. i love my RC lift for what i paid for it.
2. however the drop brackets are not great for d35's
3. the coil springs are stiff
4. don't upgrade to the nitro shocks... its not worth the $25 :annoyed:

don't get me wrong.. i'm happy with my RC stuff for the money i paid for it. i couldn't afford anything else at the time.

if you just need front lift stuff.... get XJ 6" lift coils, skyjacker brackets, extend your stock ra's, get extended brake lines, etc..

if you do order the RC lift, call RC in Dyersburg TN and order directly from there.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
1. i love my RC lift for what i paid for it.
2. however the drop brackets are not great for d35's
3. the coil springs are stiff
4. don't upgrade to the nitro shocks... its not worth the $25 :annoyed:

don't get me wrong.. i'm happy with my RC stuff for the money i paid for it. i couldn't afford anything else at the time.

if you just need front lift stuff.... get XJ 6" lift coils, skyjacker brackets, extend your stock ra's, get extended brake lines, etc..

if you do order the RC lift, call RC in Dyersburg TN and order directly from there.
Im not sure if I am gonna order the RC lift just yet (gotta fix an oil leak and do my ranger 8.8 swap first). gonna see if my local shop can order it to save me shipping if I do.
1: As for the RC brackets, is there still a problem with the dana 28s?
For now it doesnt really matter the PO jumped and abused the truck and apparently busted a hole in the 28 diff and filled it with silicon.:annoyed: Maybe a d35 in the future but prob just manual hub 28 depending on if i swap gears.
But anyway lol, If I get xj coils skyjacker brackets, and extended brake lines thats all well and good but I currently cant fab.:sad: Cant even weld(YET:headbang:). So I will have to buy radius arm drop brackets. Like was said before, Im starting to lean towards full kit(RC because of budget). I remember reading in the tech library about the d35 swap that you can just install bumpstops to prevent diff damage.

2:Is this possible to prevent a hole if I swap a d35 or even in a d28?
Also probably gonna get the full polyurethane bushing kit when I do the lift cause all my bushings suck nuts.(and the red bushings just kick ass:D)

3:So the RC would be okay for dd and mild trail riding? Oh and maybe SOME speed on some dirt roads. Though I try not to, last time I hit a bump and blew my distributor internals apart.:dunno:(dont ask lol)

4: Also why call RC in dyersburgh?
(sorry for the long post and many ?s. and thanks for all your help so far guys.:icon_thumby:)

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
So other than extending your radius arms, you can still do what was mentioned without welding....

The brackets can be trimmed down a little more and just make sure you have a bump stop there to keep the ttb third member from hitting the bracket.

The RC lift is fine for everything you mentioned except the stiff coils are gonna kill you if you try to do any speed on trails.. I DD my b2 on the RC lift.

And I said call RC straight bc they have awesome customer service and why deal with a middle man if you don't have to? You can call them and order it. Or order it online. Down here in this part of the country we are pretty close to RC and we use the main place in Dyersburg and deal directly, no middle man. Just makes getting service easier if needed.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Today I was checking my oil and lookung under the truck for leaks and started to look at my axle and radius arm brackets. I had never really loooked at them as I assumed it was stock. Anyways I think I was being and idiot and I already have drop brackets! Heres pics:
passenger side
driver side
radius arm
diff hole:annoyed:

I dont know if Im right do these look like drop brackets? Or are they stock? If they are drop brackets what kind do you think they are?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like Rough Country to me. Maybe Tuff Stuff

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Okay cool so I have 4 inch drop brackets already. Awesome.:yahoo: Then do you think I can get 6inch coils with new alignment bushings or will I have to get 4inch coils?
Also I have been thinking about a body lift since I am getting all new bushings anyway. But that depends on if I want to get 33s and do a gear change.:dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals