• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lock-right help

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
recent got a full width 8.8, with a lock right and a 4.88 gear set... the bad is it has an axle that is snapped at the inner end of the axle tube...

so i cut the tube off to get to the end of the axle... thank god for the porta-band...

now i don't know how to remove the axle to remove the locker and the gear set...

I really want to put this in my disc brake exploder that i'm gonna be swapping into my bII...

Any help ideas or suggestions???

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You have to remove the cross pin and get the C clip off the end of the axle shaft.....there was really no need to cut the housing up...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have to remove the cross pin and get the C clip off the end of the axle shaft.....there was really no need to cut the housing up...
Yeah I've never heard of someone cutting the axle tube to remove a broken axle shaft.

Like what he said...remove the cross pin and then pull the c-clips out.

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cracks me up :D:

I wonder what you would pull out to fix a headlight?

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
O did you remember to take the tranny out when you pulled the axle?

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
i got the axle from 59bisqiuick who snapped the axle, not axle tube between the bearing cap and the inner end of the axle tube... the vehicle was driven back with a hi-lift jack holding the axle in... so the end of got super hot and is all jacked up... 59 bisquick's idea was to cut the axle tube off and that made alot of sense at the time... At this time I can't figure out how to remove the c-clip...

As far as i could tell there was no better way to get to it... plus i don't want or need the axle either as i already have one... the axleshafts were the wrong lug spacing and full width and drum... my axle is narrow width with disc brakes... i really don't need any smart comments from you guys i'm asking for help if i want to be talked down to i can go hang out on pirate 4x4... but this site has had lots of good useful info before, but lately i'm seeing more and more @ssh*les making shitty remarks towards people who are honestly asking questions...

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i got the axle from 59bisqiuick who snapped the axle, not axle tube between the bearing cap and the inner end of the axle tube... the vehicle was driven back with a hi-lift jack holding the axle in... so the end of got super hot and is all jacked up... 59 bisquick's idea was to cut the axle tube off and that made alot of sense at the time... At this time I can't figure out how to remove the c-clip...

As far as i could tell there was no better way to get to it... plus i don't want or need the axle either as i already have one... the axleshafts were the wrong lug spacing and full width and drum... my axle is narrow width with disc brakes... i really don't need any smart comments from you guys i'm asking for help if i want to be talked down to i can go hang out on pirate 4x4... but this site has had lots of good useful info before, but lately i'm seeing more and more @ssh*les making shitty remarks towards people who are honestly asking questions...
Sorry if you are offended. But you posted a bunch of really stupid stuff. Really stupid. You could've Googled how to pull an axle and even watched a YouTube video first, but you posted here. Maybe this forum is too high-brow for you -bummer.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
why dont you pop the diff cover and remove the c clips and slide the axle shafts out? then you can remove the carrier and pinion and you've got everything you wanted

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is really easy to remove a c-clip hence the comment from me. You take the cover off, rotate the carrier till you can see the axle ends. You'll have to push the axle ends in and you should see a "clip" holding the axle in. Push the clip off the axle end and remove the axle.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Part of the sarcasm is from people posting questions before looking in the tech library or taking 5min to do a search. It frustrates me seeing "what do I need to do an 8.8 disk swap", when we have a couple writeups in the tech library explaining how.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What probably could've avoided some of this was stating that the broken piece of axle is jammed within the carrier and is blocking removal of the carrier (at least this was the impression I got when Shay mentioned it).

This is just another reason I don't like lunchbox lockers in a 8.8" and would never recommend one. If one needs an automatic locker, the Detroit is the only way to go.

As for removing the locker from that axle, if you can't get the c-clip out (or it's already out) and the whole rest of the axle is junk and you only want the Lockright, I'd get to cuttin' the carrier itself in half and try to work the parts of the locker out that way.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
as 4x4 junkie said i should have been more specific on what i asked... the piece of axle is broken in such a way i can't get the carrier and i did use the search function but didn't find exactly what i was looking for and was hoping someone else here had something similar happen and could give me some insight on it...

kryptomitecb, no where on here did i ask about an 8.8 swap... i already know what i need to make that happen i was only asking for help on removing the broken axle to save a locker... i am very familiar with the tech library here it is probably the best one on the web...

I don't mean to come across like a jerk but if anyone of you were to ask me for help I would give it without the sarcasm because i realize how frustrating it can be to be staring at a broken part and unsure of how to fix it... I come here for help because generally i have had good luck here... I just think some of you guys have a lousy attitude about helping others... just my thoughts...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just think some of you guys have a lousy attitude about helping others
I don't think I came across as having a bad attitude.

But sorry I can't help much. Its much easier for me to find a solution to a problem when I can see the task at hand instead of reading about it online.

Can you post some pics? That way we can offer suggestions:icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
Hagan, i was not saying you did... i just meant that it seems like more and more lately someone always has to have a smart answer about something someone may post honestly needing help... will try to get pics on thurs when i get home...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals