• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Locked my keys in...

lindsay_elaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
... and got 'em out using different Ford keys. I only have one key to the Ranger and for whatever reason decided to lock my doors in the driveway today. I felt pretty dumb when I realized the keys were still in the ignition :annoyed: Thankfully we have about 20 sets of keys, most of which go to cars that we no longer have. It was dark and I had five or six sets so I'm not sure if it was the keys to our junked '94 F-150 or junked '94 Explorer that worked in my '03's door. I'll try again tomorrow and hang onto the extra. I guess it's a good thing to hang onto keys... or maybe I should just have more made!

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
That's pretty comical. Half my doors don't lock anyways...so yea, nothing important kept in my Exploder. Luckily I live in a decent part of tow...neighbors in my apartment complex has stuff like Challengers and stuff, hahaha.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ive done that lots.....

RedneckSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I think almost everybody has locked their keys in a vehicle at one time or another, I know I have a few times so I always keep an extra key tie-wired under the truck somewhere, I know they make those little magnet boxes for keys but I had one fall off somewhere one time. But anyways back to your story atleast it happen in your driveway, not somewhere far from home.

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive locked my keys in my truck hangin in the igition many times so finally i had 1 made that i keep in my wallet now

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ive locked my keys in my truck hangin in the igition many times so finally i had 1 made that i keep in my wallet now
So does that same key work in the ignition, too?
On his yeah, but ours no. Stupid PATS.

I too keep an extra door key in my wallet and on my other keychain(has house, shop, other misc non-truck related keys). I don't like 5 pounds of keys hanging out of my ignition.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
I heard of other ford keys fitting other ford cars and trucks my friends mom exploder key would fit in his ranger door but wouldn't start truck.

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One time I was driving the company E-150 van getting parts, and another E-150 parked right next to me...Well when I got out of the parts store I wasn't paying attention and unlocked the wrong van, got in it, and felt like a real jack-ass when I noticed what had happened. Thank god the owner didn't see me.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
One time I was driving the company E-150 van getting parts, and another E-150 parked right next to me...Well when I got out of the parts store I wasn't paying attention and unlocked the wrong van, got in it, and felt like a real jack-ass when I noticed what had happened. Thank god the owner didn't see me.
One of my coworkers did the same thing. She actually got in the wrong Taurus before she realized what she did.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Its a big coincidence im sure but all my ford keys fit all my other vehicles.Ford got really lazy wityh key design when they came out with the pats system.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I remember correctly for a good while there, was only 200 ish different key cuts for ignition / doors. So you have a 1 in 200 chance of starting an older for or ulocking the door.....wouldn't it be a 1 in 400 chance of unlock the door and turn the ignition with the older 2 key ones?

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where are those danged keys? I looked for 20 minutes - at least they weren't locked in!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals