• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking at F150 Flareside - stick to book value?

swampyankee

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235-17
I've been looking for a replacement for my 2001 Ranger which has terminal rust. Very difficult to find a nice, clean, rust-free Ranger here in New England these days so I started looking at F150's. I found a nice low mileage 2006 with all the features I want, plus it's a Flareside (stepside), which I like.
F150 LH.jpg

It was the seller's late father's truck, he allegedly only used it for plowing and it was kept in a canvas shed. VEry clean and low mileage. It needs a couple minor things, like the odometer display fix, and investigation of a tick at idle (5.4 Triton).
Comes with a plow (obviously) and the seller is asking $12,500, but they asked for offers. According to book prices online, it's worth about $7,800 not including plow. I offered $7500 since I don't need the plow. They countered at $10,000.

Are these things worth that much or should I stick with my book value offer?

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wouldn’t pay 10,000 for an old plow truck.
Especially with a 5.4 that needs plugs.

Honestly for me, anything that has a plow hanging off the front, or the mounts for a plow, is not worth much over scrap. Only get driven through a salty slurry.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
What does KBB and NADA say about price for that indoor area? How does it compare to other si.ilar trucks on FB Marketplace or Craigslist? I'd start by checking that info to get a ballpark idea.

I never knew flaresides were rare. Less common, maybe. But I wouldn't label it rare by any means.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I wouldn’t pay 10,000 for an old plow truck.
Especially with a 5.4 that needs plugs.

Honestly for me, anything that has a plow hanging off the front, or the mounts for a plow, is not worth much over scrap. Only get driven through a salty slurry.
It's rough on suspension, too.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
And steering components…… if it was only ever used for plowing, not using the thing for 8 months at a time doesn’t do it any favors…..

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
How much plowing did he do? If it was only his driveway I wouldn't be nervous, if he plowed commercially I walk away. If it's extremely low mileage that's apt to mean a lot of sitting around and that would be a bad thing. A tick in a 5.4 is apt to be the cam phasers and that can be expensive. Replacing the plugs isn't a big deal. I beleive an 06 would be a 3 valve, just run the engine till it's warm, then remove the plugs on one side using a 3/8 breaker bar and some finesse. Warm it up again and do the other side. We fixed a bunch of trucks with plugs broken by other shops but my techs never broke any, not being flat rate, the air tools stayed in the toolboxes for that job.
I'd check NADA for value-and be honest about condition when picking which value to use. KBB used to be a joke but it's supposed to be better now. NADA is industry standard.
One of my former techs is still driving the 06 Supercab Flareside he bought new and has driven every day.
I wanted an 83-88 short box range but built a 93 long box because it wasn't rusty, as we both know, not rusty trumps everything in New England.

swampyankee

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235-17
Yes, it was only used to plow the owner's 130' driveway. I crawled under it looking for rust, but it was solid. minor surface rust, uncommon for this area. After the current owner got it from the father they put new brakes on the front and accumulated about 10,000 miles on it, so it has been driven regularly in the last year or so. Both NADA and KBB seemed to agree on a price of $7,800 or so for a truck with 105,000 miles and in very good condition, which I judge it to be. Yes, the flareside is uncommon, but not "rare". I've only ever seen this one since I've been looking.
I'm tempted to offer as much as $9,000 without the plow. Either they remove the frame and controls or I do and bring them back, and they can sell it separately.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
With 106K on the odometer, it wasn't used just to plow the driveway. They have a little sentiment value on the truck because it was dad's and dad took care of it. (so they say). A 2006 Flare side just wasn't as popular as the fleet side. Does that make them rare, NO. A 69 convertible Mustang California Special or 65 AC Cobra that's RARE, in any condition.

I'd stick to you guns and counter with your original offer.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Buy the truck, not the story. Their sentimental attachment to it does not make it worth more.

ANY issues reduce the value lower than book value. I am not a 3V 5.4 fan at all so even paying around book value for one is too much in my mind.

swampyankee

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235-17
With 106K on the odometer, it wasn't used just to plow the driveway. They have a little sentiment value on the truck because it was dad's and dad took care of it. (so they say).
I'd stick to you guns and counter with your original offer.
What I meant was, the P.O. added the plow to do his driveway only, not commercially. I'm sure it was used for daily driving as well, although the mileage reflects occasional use.
Not sure it's sentimental value as much as trying to get as much of a windfall out of "dad's" truck as possible.
But the consensus here seems to be that KBB and NADA are pretty accurate - maybe a bit high from what I see on CL and FB Marketplace. Thanx for the advice, I'll walk away from that deal.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Stepside trucks of that era are probably worth less then normal trucks.

Yes they wernt "common" but thats because no one bought them.

Id say 75-8500 is about where id go on it

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
We stocked a few flareside F 150's and Rangers and they all sold. The flareside box was an extra cost option and most people weren't willing to pay extra for it. Keep in mind that 1/2 of wht you buy with a used vehicle is the prior owners maintenance habits and 1/2 is the vehicle. I had some customers whose trade in at 100,000 miles were near perfect and others whose 40,000 mile trade in wasn't worth much.
Especially being a plow truck, I'd like to see maintenance records or invoices showing transmission fluid changes. If he plowed in low gear the fluid probably didn't get hot, if he plowed in drive it probably got toasted.
Also keep in mind that "the book" is a guide that can't see the current used car market. If it's an exceptionally nice one, expect to pay more.

swampyankee

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235-17
Just talking to a friend of mine who reminded me of how hot the used car market has been. I recall it was maybe a year or two ago but not sure about now. If so, it might warrant a higher price than book, but not sure how much more.
I've been doing a bit of reading about the Triton motors, cam phaser problems, ticking noises, etc. I did notice a tick on this truck and really didn't give it much concern until I realized it can;t be a lifter noise since its a OHC.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Just talking to a friend of mine who reminded me of how hot the used car market has been. I recall it was maybe a year or two ago but not sure about now. If so, it might warrant a higher price than book, but not sure how much more.
I've been doing a bit of reading about the Triton motors, cam phaser problems, ticking noises, etc. I did notice a tick on this truck and really didn't give it much concern until I realized it can;t be a lifter noise since its a OHC.
If a 5.4 is ticking....run.

Yes it can be the exhaust donuts....but on an 04+ i wouldnt chance it

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Also keep in mind that "the book" is a guide that can't see the current used car market. If it's an exceptionally nice one, expect to pay more.
Or don't pay more and walk away. Up until a couple years ago the old saying was, "never pay more than book value." Now, it's "a fool and his money are soon parted." Lots of fools out there, with no financial education taking out huge loans on vehicles and instantly being underwater.

I will never pay more than book value, a dealer would never pay ME more than book value on a trade in so why make them rich?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals