• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking at Tacoma and Ranger tomorrow....help

Jimbo45

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
95 Ranger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Looking at Tacoma and Ranger tomorrow...(*pics of trade now)

Hey folks. I have and plan to keep, my beater '95 ext cab 4 cyl. Ranger as my DD and love it in all its simplicity and "beaterness". I got it to commute to work and back, and fixing it up has renewed my love for Rangers that I used to share. I also had a '93 reg cab 4 cyl. back in the day, and a '96 4.0L 4x4 ext cab, 10 years ago that I loved.

My primary (nice) truck now is an '06 F150 5.4L 4x4 with low miles, and it almost could pass for new. I love it, but its just a bit too big for my needs, and the MPG is absurd. I do, however, have two kids, one in a full car seat, and one in a booster. I transport them on short trips a few times a week. Mostly they ride in the family Explorer. So, I need some room, but not really the huge cab of the F150.

So, after much online research, the obvious choice to trade for lead to the Tacoma. They are powerful, sporty, have a great reliability record, and are a bit smaller than F150's, and better MPG. Besides that, they just look super tough, and I have to admit, it is the first non Ford, that I have considered buying.

So, I got the F150 detailed, have the day off work tomorrow, and plan to go 20 miles to a Toyota dealer, to drive a Tacoma, and see what I can get for my F150. On my way home from picking up the kids today, I noticed an '11 4x4 Ranger ext cab FOUR DOOR (I didn't know the newer ones' rear doors open, when did this start???).

So, I called the local sales rep at that dealer (whom I bought the F150 from and about 4 of the last 5 vehicles I've bought), and am going to look at and drive the Ranger tomorrow too. It will all boil down to feasibility of being able to get a car seat properly in the rear of the Ranger, and it there is enough room, and if I can get a decent trade in value, for my F150.

I like the idea of the Ranger, because its a Ford, its new, and its the last year of the trucks I have loved and used for so long. Its simple, easy to work on, and I know I can repair it easy enough, and have that thing for a long time. But, it is SMALL, and that Tacoma is COOL!

Please help my with thoughts, and any experience you may have with car seats in the new 4 dr. Rangers. Quick, because I just may come home with a new one tomorrow! TIA :D

Edit: Oops. I saw the rearward folding jump seats, and assumed they were forward facing....not so. They fold forward, and the back flip up on the side, so it is a side facing rear seat. Darn, no putting a car seat back there. :annoyed:

Last edited:

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ai yi yi. I was looking for a new truck and the bottom line is that Ford hasn't put any engineering in the Rangers for years. Almost all of the newer small trucks outdate the Ranger by years. On the flip side, Rangers have the cheapest parts and are extremely reliable. I bought an F150 last week. It has close to the same mileage as my Ranger, I don't drive much, and blue ovals swim in my blood. I hear you man. I've driven lots of miles in Tacos and Nissans - They are both lots more new and fully featured than the Rangers.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To answer that door question, they started the 4 door cab in 1998, suicide doors and as you stated, they face sideways. Even a small child would be cramped back there. I actually looked at the taco trucks last summer, was intending on buying one, even though I'm aware that Toyota parts are OUTRAGEOUS. They offered me 1K off sticker so I walked. Went to Ford and got 10K off an ecoboost truck. I didn't want a full sized truck either, and its been a chore getting used to it- and I don't LOVE it like I did my ranger- but it's getting almost what the ranger did on gas, showing 20.9 right now as it sits in the garage. I'm not getting the 22 they say I'm supposed to be getting, but 20 is good enough for me. Consider getting another ford if toyota tries to hose you down... And keep in mind their parts are really, really high... Let us know what happens. And BTW, Ford offered me $3500 for my ranger. I sold it on craigslist for 7,000. Just sayin'...

Burls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3 DHOC
Transmission
Automatic
The Taco isn't going to get much better mileage then your current 150. Doesn't the 4.0 in the taco require 91 octane? That'll cost you more at the pump as well. If your dead set on getting better mileage, you should look at an eco boost 150. A Ranger is not a practical vehicle for your needs(hauling offspring) and You could probably pick up a eco boost for not much more than your'd pay for the taco.

I don't know what kind of mileage your getting out of your 150 but my silverado 5.3l x cab 4x4 gets 18-19 with 50/50 driving (hwy at 65mph) during spring thru fall and 16-18 during winter. I can't see a taco getting much better.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Jimbo45

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
95 Ranger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ai yi yi. I was looking for a new truck and the bottom line is that Ford hasn't put any engineering in the Rangers for years. Almost all of the newer small trucks outdate the Ranger by years. On the flip side, Rangers have the cheapest parts and are extremely reliable. I bought an F150 last week. It has close to the same mileage as my Ranger, I don't drive much, and blue ovals swim in my blood. I hear you man. I've driven lots of miles in Tacos and Nissans - They are both lots more new and fully featured than the Rangers.
You know though, thats kind of what I like about the Rangers....the old school design. I know its wierd, but I do think, cars and trucks aren't built like the used to be. Granted, the creature comforts aren't there, but older designs just seem to be built sturdier and last longer, from my experience over the years. While my '06 F150 is a super smooth, refined, sharp looking truck, I just don't have faith in it staying that way for 150K miles. Compared to my Dad's '97 F150, I can just see lighter, chincier, and cheaper construction in areas here and there. I am at the point in my life where gadgets and fluff features are nice, but not the priority. I think that is what has drawn me back to the Rangers.

Question: you say you have driven Tacos....any issues or problems you had?

To answer that door question, they started the 4 door cab in 1998, suicide doors and as you stated, they face sideways. Even a small child would be cramped back there. I actually looked at the taco trucks last summer, was intending on buying one, even though I'm aware that Toyota parts are OUTRAGEOUS. They offered me 1K off sticker so I walked. Went to Ford and got 10K off an ecoboost truck. I didn't want a full sized truck either, and its been a chore getting used to it- and I don't LOVE it like I did my ranger- but it's getting almost what the ranger did on gas, showing 20.9 right now as it sits in the garage. I'm not getting the 22 they say I'm supposed to be getting, but 20 is good enough for me. Consider getting another ford if toyota tries to hose you down... And keep in mind their parts are really, really high... Let us know what happens. And BTW, Ford offered me $3500 for my ranger. I sold it on craigslist for 7,000. Just sayin'...
Yeah, the sparse rear "passenger" area, if you can call it that, is what is probably going to make a second Ranger, a non option for me tomorrow. I do need to haul my kids around occasionally, and safety will be a factor. Its a shame too, that with the newer suicide doors option, they couldn't have lengthened the cab 4" and put some forward facing seats with the Latch system. If they did that, I would buy one for sure, and I am sure they would have sold a lot more Rangers in that configuration. I have gotten all 4 of us in my beater Ranger before; 3 yr old in front in car seat, wife (lucky she's little!) in back jump seat, and 6 year old in other jump with a booster (for legal purposes, would probably be safer in just the jump seat and no booster though), and me driving. Its not ideal, but can be done in a pinch. As the kids grow, it will be not as possible.

I would be thrilled with 20 MPG. My F150 gets 11 city and always just under 15 highway. Last tank of highway driving yielded 14.88 MPG and I think thats as good as I can remember. But you know, its not truly only the MPG that I don't love about the F150....and I can't really put my finger on it. Its powerful, roomy, looks great, and is super clean, but, its just not me for some reason. I think its because it was the first Ford that I have ever had to have warranty work on. It also has a noisy valvetrain, that I have been told by the dealer more than once is normal. It very well may be normal, but to me, sounds like engine parts clanging together, that will eventually lead to a problem. It had a list of issues early on, including damaged 4wd hubs, solenoids, etc., and my confidence in its quality has been forever tarnished I think. I can assure you, I maintain, and baby my vehicles too. I think I have just been looking for a suitable alternative since.

Everytime something would go wrong with the F150, I would get mad, and tell the wife "This is the last Ford I will buy!" That is kind of the reason I am not looking into an ecoboost. That, and I doubt I can get 10K off a new one, and wouldn't want to take on the payments of another $30,000 + truck. You know, if I could manage to get a new basic 4x4 ecoboost for around $26K (not gonna happen), I would be all over it probably.

The Taco isn't going to get much better mileage then your current 150. Doesn't the 4.0 in the taco require 91 octane? That'll cost you more at the pump as well. If your dead set on getting better mileage, you should look at an eco boost 150. A Ranger is not a practical vehicle for your needs(hauling offspring) and You could probably pick up a eco boost for not much more than your'd pay for the taco.

I don't know what kind of mileage your getting out of your 150 but my silverado 5.3l x cab 4x4 gets 18-19 with 50/50 driving (hwy at 65mph) during spring thru fall and 16-18 during winter. I can't see a taco getting much better.

Just my 2 cents.
I know the Tacos aren't gas savers, but it would have to be better than the F150, that gets 11/14.5 MPG. I know what you are saying on the GM though, my brother's '08 5.3 4x4 Silverado gets mileage like yours, if not better. I think he says he gets 20 or so highway. I can't understand how GM and Ford could be so far apart on the mileage.

I don't know, I may just keep the F150, and drive it until that next major repair of $1000 or more comes. Then, I will be really mad, and dump it for sure. I will let you all know what tomorrow brings. If the Toyota dealer can make a reasonable deal, I am leaning that way. I don't see them giving me a whole lot for my F150 though, and I am not going to give it to them to turn a huge profit on.

Sorry for the long post. I am anxious about tomorrow and want to make the right decision. Thanks for the help, guys.

This are old pics, you should see it as it sits in the garage now, with the Geolandars and all detailed!

Last edited:

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I ditched my F150 for another ranger as well. The Tacomas prices were just Not right for me, and I've heard the newer models don't even come close to the old in reliability.

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the f150 weighs 600-800 pounds more than the silverado on average. theres alot of mpg righ there, and chevy just has that formula with the small blocks for good mpg. its because theres no torque curve untill after 4000k so its not asking for much fuel untill then

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The last chebby I rode in was a pathetic epic failure- it was apparently underpowered (5.3 I think) and would downshift continuously- sometimes two gears so it was screaming at 5000 RPM with the cruise set on the slightest hill. The gal who owned the truck was complaining about the mileage on it and I can see why the piece was getting 12...

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an old friend with a 03 tahoe and a 08 1500 says the tahoe gets 18 the 1500 20.Tell us what you bought if anything.

Jimbo45

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
95 Ranger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well, good and bad news.

The bad: The new Ranger won't work for me, as a replacement for the F150. It was neat, the last of the last, brand new 4x4, at a decent deal. But, there's just no way to properly get a car seat in the back. Tacoma was pretty cramped too, I was surprised, they look bigger in pictures and on the road, lol. It does fit nicely in my garage, though (for tonight, anyway).

The good: I will still have my beater '95 Ranger. I may trade the F150 for a new '11 F150 if I can find the right one at the right deal. Drove an '11 5.0L and '11 ecoboost. Both smoked my 5.4L by seat of the pants dyno. Think I'll hunt for a 5.0L now.....

Thanks guys!

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In all honesty, Go buy a taco, now is the time.

They JUST went through their mid-cycle refresh, so you still may be able to find a 2011 brand new for a bit cheaper. Used values will go down a spec as well because of the refresh.

They are AMAZING trucks, they handle and ride nothing like a truck.

I drive my GF's 08 Tacoma (Ex. cab, 4X4, 6 speed stick, TRD, SR5, V-6, Off-road packages) frequently, and the ranger isn't even in the same ballpark...

I'd HONESTLY rather own a Tacoma over an F-150 without question if you don't need to tow crazy weight, and I'm a HUGE ford person (Own a mustang and explorer, and used to have 2 rangers).

Her Tacoma has forward facing rear seats, and do clear for boosters/child seats. They sell Taco's in full-on 4 door trim which would be even more accommodating. She gets 17-18 in town, 21-22 on the highway without a problem, and the ride is amazing. I was driving in the un-plowed lane doing 50mph in the snow in 4x4 and it felt like I was on dry pavement.

Tacomas also hold residual value extremely well (perennially in the top 5), so even if you can't get a screaming deal, it's value doesn't drop like a stone as an F-150 will.

Can you get a ranger for thousands less? Yes. If you are looking for good value, the Ranger is still the king next to the Taco. But if you are looking for a quality truck for family duty that you need to be reliable/safe/economical and hold value well, the Tacoma is the only way to go.

I'd sooner own a 4 door Tacoma over any F-150 offering right now, drive one and you will see why IMO.

Last edited:

Jimbo45

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
95 Ranger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
In all honesty, Go buy a taco, now is the time.

They JUST went through their mid-cycle refresh, so you still may be able to find a 2011 brand new for a bit cheaper. Used values will go down a spec as well because of the refresh.

They are AMAZING trucks, they handle and ride nothing like a truck.

I drive my GF's 08 Tacoma (Ex. cab, 4X4, 6 speed stick, TRD, SR5, V-6, Off-road packages) frequently, and the ranger isn't even in the same ballpark...

I'd HONESTLY rather own a Tacoma over an F-150 without question if you don't need to tow crazy weight, and I'm a HUGE ford person (Own a mustang and explorer, and used to have 2 rangers).

Her Tacoma has forward facing rear seats, and do clear for boosters/child seats. They sell Taco's in full-on 4 door trim which would be even more accommodating. She gets 17-18 in town, 21-22 on the highway without a problem, and the ride is amazing. I was driving in the un-plowed lane doing 50mph in the snow in 4x4 and it felt like I was on dry pavement.

Tacomas also hold residual value extremely well (perennially in the top 5), so even if you can't get a screaming deal, it's value doesn't drop like a stone as an F-150 will.

Can you get a ranger for thousands less? Yes. If you are looking for good value, the Ranger is still the king next to the Taco. But if you are looking for a quality truck for family duty that you need to be reliable/safe/economical and hold value well, the Tacoma is the only way to go.

I'd sooner own a 4 door Tacoma over any F-150 offering right now, drive one and you will see why IMO.
Have you driven an '11 or '12 F150??? Seriously? I guess it depends on what kind (size) of truck you want. Don't get me wrong, the Taco seemed to be a great midsize truck. I drove a '10 Tacoma on an overnight test drive. Although it was a neat little sporty truck, I realized it wasn't going to cut it for my main work hauler. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, but not what I needed. The new F150's are pretty nice. Read up on the new engine offerings.

Thanks for all the help folks. I still have my '95 Ranger for a run around truck and now this, so I will have a truck for any occasion:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals