• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for a A4LD

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It took 2 years, but I found the same year Ranger that had just arrived at a junkyard (a '90 2WD 5 speed Ranger donor, for my '90 Bronco II 2WD auto). I told them what I was doing, and gave them a list of everything I wanted to buy. Transmission, clutch pedal assembly, computer, flywheel, separator plate, transmission wiring harness, floor plate and shifter boot; all of these were needed. I also got the steering column, instrument cluster, drive shaft, starter and few other odds, ends and hardware, to make the installation cleaner and for general spares.

Yours would be an easier conversion, being first generation, as you won't have to deal with the auto shifter on the column and PRND2L display in the cluster. Don't quote me, but I *think* that if you use an M5OD your driveshaft (new, right?) could be reused as is. I just don't know for sure, especially on a 4WD. I'm also not sure about the transmission crossmember on first gens; on mine they were the same, auto or manual.

If you can find the right donor, it helps a lot to get all of the needed parts at the same time. You'll want to go with a new master and slave cylinder (pre-bled is the way to go), new clutch disc minimum. Have the donor flywheel surfaced, or buy new (they're actually pretty cheap). A new pressure plate is also a good idea.

The conversion itself is just basic wrenching; no rocket science needed.

The A4LD is actually a nice transmission when they work, but I just prefer a stick anyway.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Yes it does. I'm using car-part.com to locate parts.

I have found a clutch pedal assembly, I'm looking into transmissions. I think the FM146 or M5OD would work length wise with my new driveshaft. I could have it lengthened if absolutely necessary.

My cross member is inside the frame and I think there are multiple sets of holes in the frame to begin with. So maybe not a huge deal.

My only other concern is the transfer case linkage, but I think I think I could find a way to make it work, or other parts.

Everything else I would buy new.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When my A4LD was rebuilt, cleaning the governor did not work, they had to get a new one. Sourcing one took them a couple of weeks.
When it went in for the rebuild it would not upshift out of first and second until 4000+ rpm at random times but was getting more frequent. It was the governor causing the problem but the clutches were near the point you would call them worn out.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When my A4LD was rebuilt, cleaning the governor did not work, they had to get a new one. Sourcing one took them a couple of weeks.
When it went in for the rebuild it would not upshift out of first and second until 4000+ rpm at random times but was getting more frequent. It was the governor causing the problem but the clutches were near the point you would call them worn out.
Thanks for that info. It might be something to try.

I called them again this morning, I was thinking I would convert to a 5 speed manual trans, but the shop wants to try a couple of more things.

I am really lighting a fire under their ass this time, I guess in the summer I decided it didn't hurt anything to sit as it was so hot and I wouldn't drive it much until I fixed the AC.

This time I'm serious, I will call everyday if I don't hear from them.

Maybe they can scratch out a simple fix....

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 85 a4ld builder.
And a 91 that is a good working unit from a explorer.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well.... I'll be damned... The Trans shop called this morning and said the Bronco will be ready to be picked up today.

He said they cleaned and polished the governor and got it shifting good, then left it overnight and it came back to not shifting. Said he is going to replaced the governor and put better springs on it from a shift kit.

Funny as that as what I have suspected was the issue all along.....

I'll update when I go pick it up tonight, hopefully I'll be driving it tomorrow and this weekend.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well no dice lol.

They got it to shift up through 2nd, but wouldn't repeatablely shift into 3rd....

So he is going to build me a new one from a core he has.... which is what I asked them to do last week.

I think this trans has really gotten their goat, they cannot get it to work after multiple tries.

Trans was almost out of truck on Thursday when I called. He said it wasn't coming off a lift until it was fixed. Guess I finally lit a fire under them.

He said he wanted it gone as bad as I wanted it back.

The saga continues....

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good luck; I'm hoping that your patience will be rewarded.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well..... I hate to even type this, but it supposedly ready.

I'm going to pick it up this afternoon.... Must have really gotten him mad, said he paid a guy extra to work on it this weekend lol.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
He paid = you paid...

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
He paid = you paid...
It won't be if I can help it..... It took them 5 months and 5 days to fix, and I'm supposed to pay your one guy overtime for working on it?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I picked it up and drove it home.

Seems to be working well. I can see why everyone has electric controlled transmissions now lol. To go from driving a 2016 F150 with a 6 speed to a 35 year old B2 with a A4LD is like a time machine.

Anyhow it works is running well and I've driven it some. I think I'll drive it to work tomorrow.... Wish me luck!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh by the way, rebuilt trans with a written warranty was $1250 out the door. I didn't think that was horrible.

I can remember getting a M50D rebuilt in a 95 F150 and it costing $1496 in 2008.....

Last edited:

Franken5liter

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31”
Thats a good price!

sd359

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
31/10-50
I had a a4ld in a 87 ranger 2wd rebuilt back in 98. It burnt up going down I81 at about 65mph blew front seal and most all the bands were welded together. It got so hot it cracked the starter ring. They used a core to rebuild and it was $950 in 98. I would be tickled with all the problems and it was $1250. Glad to hear you have it back hopefully fixed.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had a a4ld in a 87 ranger 2wd rebuilt back in 98. It burnt up going down I81 at about 65mph blew front seal and most all the bands were welded together. It got so hot it cracked the starter ring. They used a core to rebuild and it was $950 in 98. I would be tickled with all the problems and it was $1250. Glad to hear you have it back hopefully fixed.
$950 in 1998 $ is like $1500 in 2020 $. Maybe they gave him a discount and called it a learning experience. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals