• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for reco on toppers

RangerDoug805

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi
I have a 2020 2WD 6 ft bed - standard cab

I want a topper / shell with windows (ideally fiberglass or alum) more for simple camping (not commercial/tools etc.)

Interested to hear folks' views on best options?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Fiberglass is more quiet when it comes to rain and things falling on it like sticks and acorns. They will insulate better as well. If you have experience with metal sheds or patio roofs, that will give you an idea how noisy an aluminum cap would be. Then imagine trying to sleep in it with rain or things dropping on it.

If you are looking to be able to carry a load on the roof, make sure the roof is reinforced for it.

Of course, fiberglass is more expensive as well.

The other option would be a tent designed to be setup in a truck bed.

I would not consider an aluminum cap to sleep in.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
These caps nowadays are really expensive. Personally I would buy once... cry once.

There was a company in Canada I believe that made a highly configurable set up. I'm going to have to find it and book mark it again. I lost my hard drive not that long ago. I don't remember the price... it wasn't cheap but it was a pretty dreamy set up IMHO.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The major manufacturers are Leer, A.R.E., and Ranch. Ranch tends to be the least expensive but the window trim isn't as sleek as the others.
I bought a used Ranch cap for my old Sport Trac and it was nice. The fit chart shows models for the '19-up Ranger.
You may need a third brake light module to keep the light on the cap from blinking with the turn signal. Amazon, about $16.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is really the camper I mentioned above... Turns out it's a pop up camper and not a top. Still something I would consider if camping was the objective.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I bought a new ARE cap for my 2004 and a Leer for my 2011. Both were fiberglass, the Leer cost $1400 in 2011 and I forget what the ARE cost, the Leer was a better quality piece. If you plan to take it off an aluminum cap is much lighter but will make a lot more wind noise. I suspect you could do something to make an aluminum cap less noisy in the rain.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You can minimize the noise some with Dynomat or similar material. The base issue still sits there though. Metal, while lighter and cheaper, is noisy.

A.R.E. caps are made by the same company that makes Pace caps. Comparing my Leer cap on the 2019, the cap I had on the 1998, and the Leer I had on the 2011 before the current Pace cap, I don't notice much a difference in quality. The Pace was significantly less expensive than the Leer. I think there may be a bit of brand name premium with Leer over the other brands.

The Pace in 2012 or 2013 was $1800 for the 2011 with a 6 foot bed. The Leer for the 2019 with a 5 foot bed was $3000 in 2019. Granted, it did have a couple of amenities like carpet lining a power block, top net, and lights that come on when the hatch is open but the bed is 12 inches shorter and the cap is at least 4 inches shorter due to the height of the bed sides. The Leer I bought before the Pace cap for the 2011 was bought off Craig's List for $300. So, I have no Idea how much it would have cost new.

Both came with a reinforced roof and load bars. So, with a significantly smaller cap, I don't think seven years difference in purchases should make that much of a difference in price.

Other manufacturers have probably come up with their own products for the 2019+ Rangers by now. While I do like the Leer in many ways, I would encourage shopping around.

One thing I do not like about the Leer, with the fold down front window option, is that is is not captured. So, unless you are careful, the window assembly will fall out if you don't hold it. The Pace design is much better.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Personally I'm too tall to comfortably sleep in the bed if I had a cap. At best I'd have to sleep diagonally which wouldn't leave much room for the wife or camping gear. Uncle Gump showed a nice unit that doesn't cost a lot, also Capri Camper makes a smaller unit for mid-size trucks and A/C is an option. We have a nice tent that is big enough to stand up in, says it sleeps 6 but actually sleeps 2 comfortably, $99 at Walmart. Depends how well you fit. The Sin Rumbo channel on YouTube, guy has a nice setup in his Ranger but he's in South America where you can get a regular cab and 7' bed. Has good ideas though you can check out.
The wife and I are at the point where we'd like A/C so I purposely got my new Ranger with the tow package so we can buy or rent a trailer. Not a fan of pop-ups but I've seen A-Liner trailers at the RV show and they're pretty nice.

www.capricamper.com

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I will always recommend a softtopper.

They are essentially a very heavy tarp fitted over an aluminum frame. Kinda like a tonoe cover shaped like a topper?

They are designed to be easy to fold up and put back up. I like them because if I am out and need to use the bed I can fold down in two minutes by one person, as opposed to driving home and getting your cousin to help lift the thing off, then driving back.

They have options for screened windows and expansions for when you fold the tailgate down ect.

Had one on my F150 for years before it got totaled. loved it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The soft top Is one I tend to forget about.

If I didn't have my Leer and was in the market... I would put one in the running.

bestop.jpg

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
softoppers are awesome!! i have not had one on a pickup but i put one on my wrangler and almost sold my hardtop because i liked it so much. they are very well made tops and the company is great to deal with

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I saw this today while I was at lunch seems similar to what @Uncle Gump posted earlier .

It's just an empty topper, no camper stuff or anything, but it looks like the hard top flips out over the cab making a platform with a tent top.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Flip Pac does indeed have the roof flip over to make a tent. I believe they are no longer making them. So, it would be a used market only. Doing a quick search, I didn't see another maker building them. Great concept if you don't need to carry anything on the roof. Why they didn't catch on, I don't know. Maybe it was because you can't carry anything on the roof?

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
This is cool... link ... Seems like TRS is always sending me down interesting rabbit holes :icon_thumby:

"The original was called a Barr Top. Dwight L. Barr sold the rights to 6-Pac who rebranded it the Flip-Pac." per WVORD at above link

I've never been a fan of roof top campers. But this one has enough space that it appears to be functional, and doesn't look hideous when stored away.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flip Pac does indeed have the roof flip over to make a tent. I believe they are no longer making them. So, it would be a used market only. Doing a quick search, I didn't see another maker building them. Great concept if you don't need to carry anything on the roof. Why they didn't catch on, I don't know. Maybe it was because you can't carry anything on the roof?
Not many toppers haul much on the roof anyways.

My topper is probably close to 30 years old and has never had any mounts added.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals