• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for some feedback on Chevrolet and Dodge Pushrod truck engines

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Im in the market for some newer trucks and am not that familiar with the Chevrolet and Dodge Pushrod gas motors offered in their trucks. I would like some feedback from anyone who has experience with these engines on reliability as an every day work truck. I have had a few of each make before but not enough time with them to really get to know them.

I am mainly looking at 2500 and 3500 series Silverados, Sierras, and Rams 2000 and newer with pushrod gas (6.0, 8.1, 5.9, 8.0) motors. I do not like working on OHC engines and unfortunately up here in New England I can no longer find older Fords with the 5.8 or 7.5 which I would prefer without being a rot box. So im now pushed to other brands or multiple trips south to find rot free Fords and then shipping them back.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
change the oil frequently, they work real well as long as they are not dod/mds engines.

the ls platform ties with the 351 as my favorite engines...the 340 old ass chryslers are my favorite.

the 5.3 is a real good setup imo. look at the engine blocks of a sbf on the bench next to a ls and its quite clear.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cousin in law has an 8.1 GM, he lets on it has a ton of power and can pull just about anything... single digits doing it though and barely double digits unloaded. Somehow he seems oddly proud of this...

I have heard some of the 6.0's have a bad habit with intake gaskets but have no personal experience with them.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I do like the 5.3L but its not offered in 2500 and up. I need a heavier truck than that motor can support. If it were up to me id have all F150s with the 4.6L 3v as its the only ohc in a Ford truck thats easy to maintain but I need more of the motor.

Not at all worried about gas mileage. Just work trucks that will be loaded and hauling when used. I have my Rangers for commuting.

Ive had a 6.0L in a crew cab dually and it was a decent motor. Would do much better in a 2500 model but I never really had issues with it for the 20,000 miles I had it in that big tank of a truck.

The only reason I stayed with Ford so long was because I always ran into transmission issues with Dodge and always electrical issues with GM. Im willing to deal with those issues now though just to avoid the newer Ford OHC engines that are a pain to work on compared to a simple pushrod engine.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think they are all getting to be a pain to work on anymore...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
in that case i would freshen up an older diesel. a turbo idi ford or up to 97 psd...or fit up a cummins to a newer 3/4-1ton of your favorite make.

for towing and heavy use the 6.0 or any of the gm,s tend to need some rpm. heavy use makes them not so cost effective in my view.

the duramax is a beast and worthy but has costly risk common with anything newer.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Diesel just isnt my thing for pickup trucks. The gassers are far more cost effective and reliable in the colder climate. My work is local and when loaded around town the diesels return the same mpg and performance as the gassers. Ive got a few 7.3s still in use and as reliable as they are just the basic maintenance costs between them and the 7.5 gassers are a costly difference.

I dont want to leave Ford but would rather have a pushrod gas than an OHC anything or a diesel.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
well, short trippin is definitely not for a diesel.

but the cammers are fine for that application on the all around though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals